Real-World Application of PPL/CPL Maneuvers

I don't really consider "turning the airplane" to be a PPL maneuver. That's just flying the airplane.
The only PP maneuver that I can think of that should be periodically practiced is stall recovery. The other stuff is just inherent to flying, and really are just drills to help you learn.

Obviously I was kidding earlier about ATC and commercial maneuvers.
I don't know what's required for the certificate today, but when I did it in 1886 there was one maneuver that I would consider safety related... steep spirals. I have no idea if those are in the CPL curriculum today.
I think the rest are garbage.
Out of curiosity... who was your CFI?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

:D

Otoh, I have been asked to do S-turns and 360s for spacing (I always assume the idea of the 360 was to stay pretty much in one place even on a windy day).

And I have done turns around a point with the "point" being a wrecked battleship, a bridge, the top of Mt Hood, and other landmarks.

Not a Battleship.

maui_wreck.jpg

Battleship!

battleship broadside.jpg

It was dual instrument training, instead of hood went got IFR clearance and flew thru clouds. The 360 was in pattern to get those big boys in

Ahh. Roger.

Damn you're old! And yes, steep spirals are still in the commercial PTS.

Yup. Interesting to see how much altitude loss you can avoid by keeping it tight, but then the bank angle limitations kick in and you think, "Aww, that's no fun..." :)

I practice all the maneuvers no less than once a month. It takes maybe 45 mins tops to run through them all including power off stalls... and I can think of examples where I've used them... landing with a direct 25 knot cross wind... used ground reference skills to stay aligned with the run way. Getting closed around by IMC in the mountains.... used 360 turns around a point so I could grab an IFR clearance. People wanting to see their house, or really a majority of time I'm landing... slow flight.

Not sure why anyone wouldn't want to practice stick and rudder skills, flight straight and level is the easy part.

Not sure why anyone wouldn't want to practice stick and rudder skills, flight straight and level is the easy part.

Waste of fuel? Needless wear and tear on the engine? The mere act of getting into the air and either flying locally or cross country achieves the same result but at least the effort leads to something more than redundancy.

One common piece of feedback in the thread was that I would be better off just flying X/C's rather than re-visiting maneuvers that I've already demonstrated on a checkride.

That doesn't look like the advice you were given (or not how I interpret it at least). From your linked post it sounds like you do almost exclusively pattern work and the recommendations were to get out and fly to get your mind off of it after a bad outing.

That doesn't look like the advice you were given (or not how I interpret it at least). From your linked post it sounds like you do almost exclusively pattern work and the recommendations were to get out and fly to get your mind off of it after a bad outing.

I think that's maybe why I interpreted it the way that I did. I don't really do a lot of pattern work and PPL-style maneuvers. I went up last week just to get some proficiency back that I felt I lost during my IR training. I've been so focused on instrument flying that I noticed my airwork was not as clean as I'd like particularly in the cases where I had to do a circle to land.

I do however need to do more X/C and get out there a bit more.

Instrument training can do that. It's also common for your landings to start to suck.

Just take a day off and go somewhere VFR. Remind yourself why you fly.

Back