Question for the A&Ps

intake compression combustion exhaust

There is a period of valve overlap but I too have never heard of an overlap stroke

I saw a video on Youtube once of a guy hand starting a 150 with the prop mounted wrong. It appeared to be at the 1-5 at TDC so he was pulling the blade over the top. I thought for sure he was gonna kill himself right there on the internet.

Last edited:
Overlap stroke is when the exhaust valve is closing and the intake valve is opening.. Both valves are open at the same time for a short duration.. Hence the word "OVERLAP".....

Apparently you have NEVER degreed in a cam ...:no:.....:rolleyes:

That is not a Stroke IAW any Aircraft engine manual I've ever read. We do not dial out or set cam timing. Every thing is marked and assembled IAW the overhaul manual.

When you drag AUTO terms here we must know the shade tree isn't far away.

That is not a Stroke IAW any Aircraft engine manual I've ever read. We do not dial out or set cam timing. Every thing is marked and assembled IAW the overhaul manual.

When you drag AUTO terms here we must know the shade tree isn't far away.

At least you admitted you have NO clue on cam timing used in internal combustion engines.....

Ps... Note to self,, do NOT argue with an total idiot....

Over and out Tom..

At least you admitted you have NO clue on cam timing used in internal combustion engines.....

Ps... Note to self,, do NOT argue with an total idiot....

Over and out Tom..

Agine you avoid the question to save face.

The OP asked about a certified aircraft, you change the subject, and get pizzed when I correct you.

So Show me any reference acceptable to the Administrator that allows any A&P to dial in a cam on a certified.

Your home made motor has no bearing to the subject.

And yes I have a degree wheel and know how to use it.

Last edited:
Maybe with a geared prop? Nah, they probably have a master spline like the Turboprop I've worked.

The GO-300 does not, it is flanged just like the 0-300.

Maybe with a geared prop? Nah, they probably have a master spline like the Turboprop I've worked.

Speaking as an engineer, not a mechanic, no, I would not make the same statement about a geared prop. In that case the alignment of the propeller relative to the engine will vary according to the gear ratio. For example, if the engine turns at 1.3 times prop speed and you install the prop at a specific position relative to the engine crankshaft, that exact relative position will not show up again until the engine makes 13 complete revolutions or 26 complete revolutions if you want to be on the same engine stroke.

Given the current state of available information the answer here is quite simple: If you think you have the (insert type of experience here) you'll need to pass your written tests and then pass the Oral and Practical test just download the ASA, Jepp or other Q&A prep software and take the tests...you will be surprised what you don't know that they want you to know.

It's not all about how good a wrench you are; for the FAA it's about passing the tests. Period.

After you've got the ticket you will be the best or the worst or somewhere in between; but first you need the ticket!

JMPO
Chris

accredited by who?

natl assc of trade and technical schools, who else.

Cool! So, you were taught about 5 stroke engines... that's a new one.

its pretty well known fact in professional engine building communities actually that overlap is known as the "5th stroke" (note the quotes....)

might want to join the 21st century someday.... :dunno: ;)

i'm not going to play a little childish semantics game, its common knowledge term/idea used throughout the engine building world. if ya'll don't want to refer to it like that, then don't - doesn't make one hoot of a difference to me.

ymmv

might want to join the 21st century someday.

the travel of the piston tells us how many strokes it requires to fire all cylinders in any engine. 2 strokers require 360 degrees of crankshaft rotation to fire all cylinders.

So, in a 4 strokers.
If the intake stroke requires 180 degrees.
If the compression requires 180 degree.
If the power stroke requires 180 degree.
and the exhaust stroke requires 180 degrees.

what is left to be any other stroke?

remember it requires 720 degrees to fire all cylinders in any 4 stroke engine how can there be a 5th stroke?

New error thinkers, dumbing down the mechanical students just like common core math.

"5th stroke"

You're talking about a supercharged Miller cycle engine, a product of the 20th century and of no relevance to anything being discussed here.

"5th stroke"

You're talking about a supercharged Miller cycle engine, a product of the 20th century and of no relevance to anything being discussed here.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-d...ler-cycle-engine-and-an-Atkinson-cycle-engine

Just a matter of valve timing for supercharged engines and has been in use since the large radial engines like the 4360 3350 and other with direct drive superchargers.

Some think it's a big deal to dial a cam with a disk and a pointer, when we old radial mechanics has been dialing cam rings on 4 row radials for longer than most here have been on the earth. :)

and they run,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrfc5YOpBY8

Attachments

• DSCN2269.jpg
    DSCN2269.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN2371.jpg
    DSCN2371.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN2373.jpg
    DSCN2373.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN2375.jpg
    DSCN2375.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
It, them, the engine, engines.

4 Stroke, 4 Cycle, both universal used terms use in the industry to describe the engine that requires 720 degrees of rotation to fire all cylinders.

True professionals know the proper term is stroke cycle, 2 stroke cycle, 4 stroke cycle, even though the abbreviated forms have been widely accepted.

Last edited:
jeez, you'd think i was talking to a bunch of pre-schoolers. :eek:

this was being taught in the school i attended in 1992 - 1995.

i said note the quotes (reading is a skill...), nobody calls it a 5 stroke engine you dorks

its the "5th stroke" as i hope to God you already know because the piston is still traveling up when overlap occurs.....

seriously guys, this is some super basic 101 stuff here, if you don't know this really basic crap I would be very, no, extremely embarrassed. :yesnod:

if you want to find some internet link, here's a link for you - https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl :rofl:

There appears to be only one way to solve this argument - the Master Arbitrator :rolleyes:

db08cb15-0a53-4cd3-9d8d-5c0310c6d9ae.jpg

Merry Christmas everyone

Last edited:
What do you expect? Everyone to be on the same page? Only thing required to post here is an account. Anyone with internet can get one.

What do you expect? Everyone to be on the same page? Only thing required to post here is an account. Anyone with internet can get one.
To survive here takes some thick skin and an e-peen of at least 3 light years.

There appears to be only one way to solve this argument - the Master Arbitrator :rolleyes:

db08cb15-0a53-4cd3-9d8d-5c0310c6d9ae.jpg

Merry Christmas everyone

Yea, I guess if I was totally handed my butt and embarrased I would misdirect and attempt to ridicule also.... :rolleyes:

Merry Christmas yourself. :)

Tom must have missed that one.... watch the name calling....

He has already bitched about me before and got me "sanctioned" and warned to not pick on him....

Now I just feed him just the facts.... and he chokes on it... ALOT...:yes:....:D:D:D

Really ? because your posts indicate otherwise.

There are a multitude of references to engine "stroke cycle" or "stroke-cy4cle" on the Internet.

You can't even provide one reference to valve overlap = "5th stroke".

Yes, the stuff you posted is "crap".

Last edited:
He has already bitched about me before and got me "sanctioned" and warned to not pick on him....
Bitching isn't require, just push the button and the Moderators do their job.

To continue, that is a complete lie. Show me where I admitted any thing of the sort.

When you revert to fabricating you loose.

To continue, that is a complete lie. Show me where I admitted any thing of the sort.

When you revert to fabricating you loose.

The word is lose.

Back