Question for the A&Ps

What voltage???..

Ha ha

Series or parallel... Cute trick question... asshat...:goofy::goofy:

You can do both at the same time, it's how railroad traction motors work to "shift gears" as they accelerate. It starts out either in series or parallel (I forget which) switches to the other, then runs them both.

You can do both at the same time, it's how railroad traction motors work to "shift gears" as they accelerate. It starts out either in series or parallel (I forget which) switches to the other, then runs them both.

Many Aircraft run both on one circuit.

one over one over R plus one over R....plus one over one over R plus one over R...

and in 38 years as an A&P and avionics tech I've never had to use that formula for anything.

I honestly can't imagine how anyone who wanted to pass the A&P exams could possibly fail. By the time you go through the study guides and get to the exam you pretty much know the answer to the question when it pops up just by the shape of it without even reading it. :rolleyes:

Neither have I, but the question still pops on the test. which has 2500 question data base from which the computer can choose.

Originally Posted by N801BH
What voltage???..

Proves you don't know the answer.

That was my version of a joke.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Now, please show me an electrical schematic of a

"series parallel circuit."

Whatever that is....:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Originally Posted by N801BH
What voltage???..

That was my version of a joke.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Now, please show me an electrical schematic of a

"series parallel circuit."

Whatever that is....:confused::confused::confused::confused:
image.png

You put a series component in one leg of a parallel circuit.

The latest conversation tells me some body doesn't understand the terminology thus would never be able to answer the question correctly.

Not a trick question at all. I give at least one or two of these series/parallel problems to my students every semester...

asshat...

Jim

No worries Jim, The answer is "C". long gone are the days we had to pass a 12 part "A" and a 6 part G. plus a 12 part P, with 25 questions in each part of the "A, G & P" tests

None of my class from the trade school in 1960 finished the test in 1 day, I finished on the second day at noon.
Passed, and took the practical a month later.

Last edited:
Not a trick question at all. I give at least one or two of these series/parallel problems to my students every semester...

asshat...

Jim

Henning had it best...

You can have a series circuit with a parallel branch and a parallel circuit with a series branch... But even you added a / to your description...

I contend that there is NO such thing as a seriesparallel circuit...

But, I have been wiring stuff for 40+ years in both AC high voltage and low voltage control circuits used in construction, and DC applications like street rods, cars, trucks, boats and planes and NEVER had smoke in any situation. So, either I am DAMN lucky, or have a firm grasp on how electrons flow.......

I have alot of respect for both you and Tom, but to keep suggesting a A&P is superior to regular mechanics as a big stretch... IMHO...

Cheers...

A&P Mechanics are considered Jacks of all trades by many (I didn't make that up). That doesn't mean they all are, or that only A&P's are, but, that their diverse training sets them up to be, and their experiences in the field set them apart. Could someone else be as good or a better mechanic? Sure. I have been unimpressed by electrical contract companies a couple times, and they were only dealing with one trade. Just an example; We had an addition put on our home and had a door jam switch installed for the walk-in closet. About a month after completion the switch started making arcing sounds and started smoking. I called the contractor and the electrical contractor came out and replaced the switch. About a month later it happened again. They changed the switch again. That time, I asked the guy if I could see the old one. It was a 12v switch... seriously. I told the guy, and his response was "thats the one they give me." Well, he made a call, and went and got the right switch and it's worked for over twenty years now.

Last edited:
A&P Mechanics are considered Jacks of all trades by many (I didn't make that up). That doesn't mean they all are, or that only A&P'school are, but, that their diverse training sets them up to be, and their experiences in the field set them apart. Could someone else be as good or a better mechanic sure. I have been unimpressed by electrical contract companies a couple times, and they were only dealing with one trade. Just an example; We had an addition put on our home and had a door jam switch installed for the walk-in closet. About a month after completion the switch started making arcing sounds and started smoking. I called the contractor and the electrical contractor came out and replaced the switch. About a month later it happened again. They changed the switch again. That time, I asked the guy if I could see the old one. It was a 12v switch... seriously. I told the guy, and his response was "thats the one they give me." Well, he made a call, and went and got the right switch and it's worked for over twenty years now.

Yeah, not all A&Ps are that bright either.

Being a mechanic is a skill that you learn, you're not born with it. You learn it because that's what interests you. A "Jack of all trades" is kind of like a Fish and Ski boat or a Flying Car - knows something about both but doesn't really excel at either.

Most people specialize in something specific. A good mechanic probably isn't any good at programming computers or may be a downright lousy cook. Even within a trade you probably specialize in a certain aspect. In the airlines you have different skill sets and the guy who can find a blown diode in an autopilot circuit couldn't rig a main entry door to save his life. Or maybe he could but it would take him a week to do it.

And in all walks of life, from burger flipper to brain surgeon, there are dolts.

Yeah, my wife worked for a surgical group. She told her friends to use Dr's. A, B, C and D but avoid Dr. F. Fact is; We're not all created equal, everyone has strengths and weaknesses. I know a few A&P's that have basically been panel pullers/helpers their whole life. There's a place for them, Lord, I hate having to inspect their work.

Retired then airplane broke so I decided to spend the money that the repair would cost on getting an A&P.

http://bakeraviation.dadeschools.net/default.asp

Total cost including books, about $7500 for resident and a bit over two years.

You will not make that money back anytime soon by "saving on my own maintenance" when you will want an A&P to look over your work anyway and that means you do not need the A&P license yourself at all.

Last edited:
Retired then airplane broke so I decided to spend the money that the repair would cost on getting an A&P.

You will not make that money back anytime soon by "saving on my own maintenance" when you will want an A&P to look over your work anyway and that means you do not need the A&P license yourself at all.

Especially not if you have to buy your tools to do the work as well. $20k in good tools is not difficult to amass.

Especially not if you have to buy your tools to do the work as well. $20k in good tools is not difficult to amass.

I have a very small shop, with few power tools, I'd estimate replacement at 50k, the hand tools alone to hand lap a case is 20K, the lapping flat plate is 10k, no value for a lathe, and a multitude of small stuff. but you can't operate with out it.

That's about what my school cost back in the early '80's. That money is nothing compared to feeling you must get by doing your own work. No worries about some lame A&P messing something up.... Ooops, you are one now.

depends....what your FSDO will allow.....:rolleyes:

I guarantee you didn't do half what's in the AC43.13 1b.....did you overhaul your engine? ....demonstrate knowledge for radial and turbine engines?

Neither did most of the applicants that get their A&P license through the work experience route. Work three years in a shop and get an A&P to write a letter for you and you get to take the test. It doesn't really matter your breadth of experience. Go to a good school like Baker and at least you are exposed to most of what you might see from fabric work to servicing fire bottles.

Neither did most of the applicants that get their A&P license through the work experience route. Work three years in a shop and get an A&P to write a letter for you and you get to take the test. It doesn't really matter your breadth of experience. Go to a good school like Baker and at least you are exposed to most of what you might see from fabric work to servicing fire bottles.
so...maybe that should be changed? :goofy::rofl:

Thing is, very few shops do all the different maintenance that would give them exposure to everything. Reality is it's not necessary, because the real issue is tool and procedural competency, and thre it doesn't really really matter if you are working at a GA FBO or one of the airliner heavy maint outfits. Turning wrenches and logging paperwork is the same. That's why they have the short course exam prep schools to fill in the knowledge gaps on the system's you didn't see. If you survived 30 months working as a mechanic, you are mechanically minded enough you will have no trouble picking it all up. Not many people deal with a radial except in school even in the GA camp.

yup....30 months of washing and gasing planes is good enough.:goofy:

Is it?:dunno: I thought you had to actually be a mechanic, but considering you can do 720 days as the cook on a Sportfish day or half day boat, never so much as handled a line, and get a 100 ton Master from the USCG, I wouldn't be shocked.

Of course it's all somewhat subjective. I went in based on a combination of some schooling and the required work experience. This was many years ago when you just walked into the FSDO, no appointments, no bullet-proof glass or air-locks and in the course of my interview the guy hemmed and hawed and didn't think I had enough experience to be signed off for the powerplant exam.

At that point another FAA examiner came in with whom I had a casual acquaintance and we said "Hi" to each other. My interviewer asked him "you know this guy?" to which he replied "yeah" at which point I was suddenly in the good ol' boys club and got signed off for everything. So there's truth to the old adage "It's who you know" and probably not much different these days once you get through the air lock and full body cavity search to actually face your interviewer. :rolleyes:

I simply want to be able to do all my own maintenance on my own airplane and if I can help some friends keep their airplanes in the air I'd like to do that too.

Why not find a friendly IA who is comfortable supervising your work and work on your airplane and those of your friends under his supervision?

You could use that experience to get your A&P.

That said, ynless you're going to turn wrenches as a job, or you're retired and want to turn being an airport bum into a profitable sideline, I don't see that going through the trouble of getting the ticket as worthwhile.

Is it?:dunno: I thought you had to actually be a mechanic, but considering you can do 720 days as the cook on a Sportfish day or half day boat, never so much as handled a line, and get a 100 ton Master from the USCG, I wouldn't be shocked.

No its not, you must comply with the regs and the ASI must conform to the FSIM standards which is 50% of the tasks in Appendices Part 147 as outlined in post 34.

Why not find a friendly IA who is comfortable supervising your work and work on your airplane and those of your friends under his supervision?

You could use that experience to get your A&P.

That said, ynless you're going to turn wrenches as a job, or you're retired and want to turn being an airport bum into a profitable sideline, I don't see that going through the trouble of getting the ticket as worthwhile.

I have a good relationship with my A&P but I don't know any IAs well. I know two and have a mutual "I know who you are" relationship with them.

My A&P (Rick) was supervising me installing my prop when he asked, "are you sure that you're putting it on correctly?" I told him that I marked everything as I took it apart so that it would go back together the same way. "How do you know that it is correct or put on correctly by the last guy?" "Good question." I say. Rick did it the right way by finding top dead center on the number one piston and then noting in the service manual which states, "the prop should be at the two and eight o'clock position"

It wouldn't have been at the 2 and 8 o'clock if I'd installed it as was marked, meaning the last guy installed it wrong.

So we got it right and he safetied two bolts and asked, "how's that?" I told him that it was a little loose and his pig tail was too long. "Okay then, YOU do one." I did the other four. He then admitted mine were better. I don't know how many thousands of bolts I'd safetied on all those jet engines I've worked on but it paid off.

And my prop is on correctly...first flight I noticed a difference...I think. Could have been the colder weather but the peace of mind felt good too.

He took the spark plug out and stuck his finger in the hole. At the top of the compression stroke when it was trying to blow his finger out of the hole and top dead center when the flywheel marked TDC was at the top of the engine.

Guess I should have included that but you A&P guys would have already known that....right?

He did but the last A&P who worked on it apparently didn't.

Oddly enough, a friend of mine hired a IA for a pre-buy inspection. IA said the prop was not installed correctly.

The A&P was the same guy...both my plane and that plane came from the same area.

and top dead center when the flywheel marked TDC was at the top of the engine.

That will depend upon which engine it is.

Lycoming has some engines that have one oversized stud in the prop flange.

0-200/0-300 the T/C mark on the prop flange is aligned with the BOTTON case seam.

Yup....
It is either on the compression stroke or the overlap stroke.. Prop is still at 2 & 8 oclock position...

What ? IS an OVERLAP stroke?

What ? IS an OVERLAP stroke?

Overlap stroke is when the exhaust valve is closing and the intake valve is opening.. Both valves are open at the same time for a short duration.. Hence the word "OVERLAP".....

Apparently you have NEVER degreed in a cam ...:no:.....:rolleyes:

Back