Wanted: Aircraft Piper Archer II or III

stevenhmiller

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Steve's Archer
I'm looking to buy a 1977 or newer Piper Archer (II or III). I'd like a low TTAF. Engine time doesn't matter, and avionics doesn't matter, so long as price reflects accordingly. Obviously engine at TBO or original outdated avionics equals lower price, whereas very low engine time and/or updated avionics (Aspen, GTN series, and moving maps) equals higher price. Also, SB1006 must have been performed and shown in the logs. I've had an Archer and loved it, so am looking for another.

I have cash sitting in the bank for the right airplane, at the right price. I'm itching to pull the trigger on a nice plane!

PM me what you have for sale, pictures, specs and price.

Just to give you an idea of what I had, this was my previous airplane that I regret selling:
20160727_073340.jpg

20140927_120538.jpg

ok why did you sell this beauty and more importantly how much did u sell it for? trying to get an idea since I am looking to buy too

I got divorced and had to sell everything to buy her out. That included the airplane. Compared to the garbage on the market now, I got way too little for it. Got $67k for it. If I found one like this today, with low hours like mine had, I'd jump on it for that price!

Yeah me too. Damn that sucks dude. I don't think you're going to find an Archer like that anywhere near that price right now. Sorry to hear this.

Damn, sorry to hear that. Am in the same boat, but I am not sorry for my divorce, am damn happy as a flying bird. Yah, I will jump in for that price too, but don't think u r going to find a gem like that for that price

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm patient. I also have cash, so that's a good bargaining point. Most people have to go to a bank and deal with the BS.

I'm patient. I also have cash, so that's a good bargaining point. Most people have to go to a bank and deal with the BS.
I am guessing u didn't get all your money out with the nice avionics that u had put in. And some people will argue that there is no point putting in such investment in a low value plane, I am also guessing it was completely worth it? As a student training with G1000, I am naturally more inclined to glass and for sure I can't afford a g1000, so a aspen is my next best option. Wondering if it will be worth it to put one in a 70k plane?

I bought the plane loaded with the avionics you see. Not the latest, but nice and still very effective.
As for putting in avionics, you need to determine how long you plan on keeping the plane. Then you need to determine if it's worth it to you to have it. Don't expect to recoup your costs if you sell. Chances are you won't.

I bought the plane loaded with the avionics you see. Not the latest, but nice and still very effective.
As for putting in avionics, you need to determine how long you plan on keeping the plane. Then you need to determine if it's worth it to you to have it. Don't expect to recoup your costs if you sell. Chances are you won't.
Thanks. It's the how long that I can't determine.... life happens and world throw a wrench in your plans and everything goes out of the window. I am sure u know how that works. I am trying to find out something with good avoinics, but in most cases, they try to recoup the original cost of avionics and install and then the price goes through the roof. O well, I will keep looking. Worst case if I have to see it due to some unavoidable circumstances... not the first time I will loose quite a bit of money. So long I enjoy every bit of it, think it's completely worth it, to me at least

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of high hour planes with the original avionics and the seller wants an arm and a leg. I'm in no hurry. They can sit on their plane.

Google 'Wings of Hope". They are raffling off a low time Archer 2 next month IIRC.

-Skip

Thanks, but I hate raffles. I'd rather put my money towards buying a plane rather than a raffle and hope I win( which never happens.)

Be there is one on barnstormers today, 430w and all.

That link is a bust, go to piper, it's listed as 77 archer ready to fly

Tail 5525V I think

Airframe hours are extremely high. Over 12,000 hours. I want mid-3000 or less.

off-topic, but how did you like the Aspen Evolution? I'm looking at a 182 2 of them in it

I replaced it 7 times in my plane. Not happy about it. Otherwise it was nice when it didnt give me troubles.

Pm me for off topic items. I'd like to keep this thread for my search for an Archer.

Don't mean to de-rail, but if I was that willing to pay Arrow money for a slowly Archer, at that price range I think you could get better bang for the buck looking at Dakotas. All the benefits of the taper wing you seem to prefer, with an extra 55HP. I think it would make a super post-divorce upgrade. Enjoy the single life my man, hope you're slaying dragons with abandon every weekend. I know I would be. :D

Love the Dakota, but more than I need. Archer fits my needs perfectly.

Think he is looking for around 3000 TTAF

I've been monitoring Trade-a-plane, controller, barnstormer, and ASO multiple times a day, for a few months now. Nothing interesting yet. Either TTAF hours are too high, or too much $$$ for what they are selling.

I've been monitoring Trade-a-plane, controller, barnstormer, and ASO multiple times a day, for a few months now. Nothing interesting yet. Either TTAF hours are too high, or too much $$$ for what they are selling.

That's about the usual. Rarely will a plane actually go up for sale for more than a week that is average TTAF with a fair asking price and acceptable equipment.

What about any Piper-specific owner's groups? The best examples can/will move in those sites before they even hit the "general" listings on the sites you mention.

Thanks, but that's more than I want to spend. Also, engine is coming up on TBO. Add another $25k on top.

I was going to pass that one along but noticed the price / TBO. The same place has a nice Arrow II with Aspen/stec/etc right in your ball park, but it is also near TBO and has almost 6k TTAF (I don't consider that an issue on a 70's vintage, it means it's being used...). At any rate, I like that site since they scan all of the logs/etc and take detailed photos.

Another thing to consider is the potential discount and negotiating power you have on a listing where the engine is at near TBO (I wouldn't consider that to be the case with the Archer III above, that seems overpriced??). If you follow Mike Busch at all, buying a runout is actually his preferred route. You get to dictate the overhaul/accessories/etc to your desire instead of leaving it up to the previous owner and potentially paying a premium.

http://www.avweb.com/news/savvyaviator/190995-1.html

I was going to pass that one along but noticed the price / TBO. The same place has a nice Arrow II with Aspen/stec/etc right in your ball park, but it is also near TBO and has almost 6k TTAF (I don't consider that an issue on a 70's vintage, it means it's being used...). At any rate, I like that site since they scan all of the logs/etc and take detailed photos.

Another thing to consider is the potential discount and negotiating power you have on a listing where the engine is at near TBO (I wouldn't consider that to be the case with the Archer III above, that seems overpriced??). If you follow Mike Busch at all, buying a runout is actually his preferred route. You get to dictate the overhaul/accessories/etc to your desire instead of leaving it up to the previous owner and potentially paying a premium.

http://www.avweb.com/news/savvyaviator/190995-1.html

I totally agree with dealing with the TBO engine. I actually prefer that. The price for the plane should be substantially lower and would for me to actually put in a Penn Yan rebuilt. As for the Archer III mentioned above, that is very overpriced. I would consider an Arrow, but from what I heard, the payload limit is lower than the Archer. I typically fly with 4 full sized adults. My Archer had no problem handling that in the dead heat of summer in Florida. Also, I prefer the tapered wing of the Archer over the hershey bar style of the Arrow.

I totally agree with dealing with the TBO engine. I actually prefer that. The price for the plane should be substantially lower and would for me to actually put in a Penn Yan rebuilt. As for the Archer III mentioned above, that is very overpriced. I would consider an Arrow, but from what I heard, the payload limit is lower than the Archer. I typically fly with 4 full sized adults. My Archer had no problem handling that in the dead heat of summer in Florida. Also, I prefer the tapered wing of the Archer over the hershey bar style of the Arrow.

Later Arrows have the tapered wing too. Arrows often have more payload than Archers. 20hp more too.

Later Arrows have the tapered wing too. Arrows often have more payload than Archers. 20hp more too.
Just did some research and see the Arrow III (1977-1978) got the tapered wing. I won't consider the T-tail due to squirly slow speed handling.

I don't have my high performance or complex rating, so that's a hindrance.

Last edited:
Just did some research and see the Arrow III (1977-1978) got the tapered wing. I won't consider the T-tail due to squirly slow speed handling.

I don't have my high performance or complex rating, so that's a hindrance.

Arrow doesn't need high performance, only complex.
Complex is a few hours with a CFI, non-issue really.

Arrow doesn't need high performance, only complex.
Complex is a few hours with a CFI, non-issue really.
Not finding an Arrow III that I like, with what I want in the way of avionics.

Back