Pilot - Social Experiment

Just be careful Kim....not many pilots out there and definetly not many female pilots. Don't make rash decisions just to go flying with some STRANGER! Guys will say anything to get what they want.

I'd be less worried about being 'attacked' or whatever at 3000 feet than I would being in a public place. Kim, being the pilot, has full control of that situation. Unless of course the guy is suicidal, which is an extremely remote possibility. He could off himself easily via another method if he wanted to (but some seem to F this up anyway)

Agreed. Though I've only had three "passengers" if you don't include the DPE - one of them was a pilot and the other two were "GA virgins." They seem very hesitant to go anywhere near me or the controls. They are very happy / excited to be in the air and are not thinking of doing bad things.

Dunno, I've gone up many times with "strangers", um, passengers. I really didn't worry about it even when I flew single pilot. I have heard of one case where a charter pilot was attacked and killed in a murder-suicide but both parties were male. You can't worry about everything or you'd never go anywhere.

Last edited:
Rejection!

Just figured out something new on eHarmony. Not all my "closed matches" were closed by me.

The computer will show me when the other person closes us. I am being rejected!

This is a good thing, and to be expected.

However, makes me think all the matches in limbo (waiting for their response) are not paying members.

You see, eHarmony tricks you - they let you see pictures and send messsages - but the guy cannot open your messages or even see your picture until he joins. He can simply read the stats / text in your online profile. When enough "interesting" ladies contact him, he might think to himself "hey ok this is now worth the $50 to join."

Problem is, I don't know which ones are and are not paying.

Just be careful Kim....not many pilots out there and definetly not many female pilots. Don't make rash decisions just to go flying with some STRANGER! Guys will say anything to get what they want.

Ya know, I'm a pretty easy-going, low key kind of guy who's not easily offended, but this kind of teeters on the verge of being offensive, if not outright insulting.

I'm a guy. I don't "say anything to get what I want". Ergo, your statement is false.

Ya know, I'm a pretty easy-going, low key kind of guy who's not easily offended, but this kind of teeters on the verge of being offensive, if not outright insulting.

I'm a guy. I don't "say anything to get what I want". Ergo, your statement is false.

I am right with ya Greg........

Sara seems to be working through a 'guy' issue and it appears the male population is in her crosshairs. IMHO.

Ben.

Smart move ditching her. That is the only way he got your number, was from her.

I chuckled when I saw Mace and stun gun. Then I forgot you weren't in Texas. I don't leave home without my second amendment privilege.

Oh, i'm in Texas. I just couldn't afford a gun at the time. Million Volt Stun gun was only $40.

A quick guide to different kinds of scientists:
purity.png

Heh, point arrow the other way it's the scale of usefulness in day to day life. ;)

Okay maybe not.

I am assuming MH = Mile High club.. :dunno::dunno:

If so then this couple had a great time...... Till the end.

NTSB Identification: MIA92FA051 . The docket is stored on NTSB microfiche number 46312.
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Monday, December 23, 1991 in RAINBOW LAKE, FL
Probable Cause Approval Date: 5/5/93
Aircraft: PIPER PA-34-200T, registration: N47506
Injuries: 2 Fatal.
THE PRIVATE PILOT AND A PILOT RATED PASSENGER WERE GOING TO PRACTICE SIMULATED INSTRUMENT FLIGHT. WITNESSES OBSERVED THE AIRPLANE'S RIGHT WING FAIL IN A DIVE AND CRASH. EXAMINATION OF THE WRECKAGE AND BODIES REVEALED THAT BOTH OCCUPANTS WERE PARTIALLY CLOTHED AND THE FRONT RIGHT SEAT WAS IN THE FULL AFT RECLINING POSITION. NEITHER BODY SHOWED EVIDENCE OF SEATBELTS OR SHOULDER HARNESSES BEING WORN. EXAMINATION OF THE INDIVIDUALS' CLOTHING REVEALED NO EVIDENCE OF RIPPING OR DISTRESS TO THE ZIPPERS AND BELTS.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

THE PILOT IN COMMAND'S IMPROPER INFLIGHT DECISION TO DIVERT HER ATTENTION TO OTHER ACTIVITIES NOT RELATED TO THE CONDUCT OF THE FLIGHT. CONTRIBUTING TO THE ACCIDENT WAS THE EXCEEDING OF THE DESIGN LIMITS OF THE AIRPLANE LEADING TO A WING FAILURE.

All I can say to that, if that report were to be my epitaph, I would have died well....:yesnod:;)

I always figured "Death by Misadventure" on ones death certificate is as valid of a goal as any other. But, there's a catch... The popular phrase is "he who dies with the most toys wins", but that's only true if we cease at death. If one considers various forms of afterlife, the only thing we "have" that we could possibly take with us would be our memories. So, if one takes that into consideration it becomes obvious that the phrase should read, "he who dies with the most memories wins", so there is a factor of finding the sweet spot between adventure and caution for longevity.

That said, any day that offers Flying and F-ing at the same time rates as an all time top "Good Day to Die" in my book. What else is life for?

Last edited:
This thread has been educational, anyway... :D

For an educational video; see below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-ckIv1tiaU

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: He ain't lying either.... We put my roommates uncle on a bus home to Florida (they were still snorting it there at the time, smoking it started in Newport in the 70s from the history I know) 2 months and $200,000 later with a bag of food and drinks with intructions to the driver, DO NOT let him off the bus until the next transfer station...

Then every worn out old morally bankrupt party hog all of a sudden became "Born Again" and wasn't that wonderful.... "Hi I'm Barb, I used to be all strung out on cocaine, but then I found Jesus! Now I'm all strung out on Jesus! Won't you come...." Ack.. worse than the Hari Krishnas. Heck, at least the Mormons and Jehova's Witnesses aren't obnoxious and self righteous over their basically unearned, self proclaimed salvation. It's like they won the Imaginationland Lottery.... Newport was a weird place. Likely still is lol.

Last edited:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: He ain't lying either.... We put my roommates uncle on a bus home to Florida (they were still snorting it there at the time, smoking it started in Newport in the 70s from the history I know) 2 months and $200,000 later with a bag of food and drinks with intructions to the driver, DO NOT let him off the bus until the next transfer station...

Then every worn out old morally bankrupt party hog all of a sudden became "Born Again" and wasn't that wonderful.... "Hi I'm Barb, I used to be all strung out on cocaine, but then I found Jesus! Now I'm all strung out on Jesus! Won't you come...." Ack.. worse than the Hari Krishnas. Heck, at least the Mormons and Jehova's Witnesses aren't obnoxious and self righteous over their basically unearned, self proclaimed salvation. It's like they won the Imaginationland Lottery.... Newport was a weird place. Likely still is lol.

Can I have an AMEN........................... :yesnod::hairraise::rofl:

So I don't like my last CFI and since he threw me into a checkride that I wasn't ready for and was nervous for Kimberly taking someone she barely knew for a plane ride that makes me a man hater. Interesting.

I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

So I don't like my last CFI and since he threw me into a checkride that I wasn't ready for and was nervous for Kimberly taking someone she barely knew for a plane ride that makes me a man hater. Interesting.

I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Sara you strongly gave that impression.
Guys will say anything to get what they want.

That's strong verbiage. You might not have meant it as such, but sometimes things come out funny on the internet. I really don't see any difference between a man or woman taking a stranger flying, in either case the stranger could have deleterious effects on the safety of the flight. That said, I doubt any of us would hesitate to take a novel acquaintance aloft if they evinced some interest.

Maybe I'm not meant to be a pilot. I would NEVER take anyone I didn't know/trust flying with me. I've read too many things about what people do (grab the controls because the seat is moving) I like men just fine. I just don't trust people that easily.

Maybe I'm not meant to be a pilot. I would NEVER take anyone I didn't know/trust flying with me. I've read too many things about what people do (grab the controls because the seat is moving) I like men just fine. I just don't trust people that easily.

Well, you could put them in the back seat, so they can't interfere with the controls but still introduce them to the wonders of flight.

The problem is we need new pilots. Desperately. Without critical mass, you can kiss goodbye everything we need to fly airplanes. Moreover, airports are all now fenced, gated and locked, so it is much harder for those unfamiliar with GA to have any exposure. If we don't take folks flying, there won't be any flying to take them to.

PS - This may be one of those situations where the boy says OK to being your friend but then remains hopeful that one day you will change your mind.....

Hope springs eternal.... and it does work out sometimes.

Full disclosure: I told Catherine "I'm never going to marry you" in the early stages of our relationship (don't know if that was before or after she gave me a concussion).

We've known each other for 26 years and have been married for 16. I have rarely said "never" in the last couple of decades.

Last edited:
Personally I think it takes a lot more (sometimes unfounded) trust for a non=pilot to accept an airplane ride from someone they don't know well than the other way around. IME very few non=pilots will deliberately interfere with the pilot flying the plane they're in but it has happened. Maybe you ought to just carry a pocket Taser to get the pax to lay off the controls.:D

If Sara had put "some guys" rather than just "guys" I wouldn't be the slightest bit offended and I suspect that's what was actually meant. Then again I try to make a habit of assuming that insults offered to the general population rather than myself specifically don't apply to me.

Oh my goodness - I go out on a date with a scientist and look what happens!

Posts about men and smoking crack!

Anyhow . . . last night was interesting.

Today's update:

1. The vet texted last night, apologizing for not getting back to me sooner. He wanted to talk on the phone per my request. We decided via text that I will call him tonight while I'm driving from work to SF.

2. I am still seeing Friend #1 tonight - I have his pillows from the 172 ride. We are meeting and hiking together / walking. I need the exercise.

3. I have sent messages to a few new matches on eHarmony, but it remains that many are still "waiting for response".

4. I have not heard back from Bachelor #1 but eHarmony says he viewed me yesterday. Perhaps he is pondering his next move. Or perhaps he is looking to see if I've been active.

5. I went on a first date with the scientist last night. After expressing my interest in his line of work over a few beers at the bar, he spontaneously invited me to see his lab. (Yes, there were test tubes and beakers.) Outside his office, the sky was clear and we went for a walk to "look at the stars." I'm seeing him again on Friday.

Scientists rule!

So come up to the lab
and see what's on the slab
I see you shiver with anticipation
But maybe the rain
Is really to blame
So I'll remove the cause but not the symptom.

Used to be , want to come see my etches..... Now it's wanna see the lab?

Cool. Glad you all had a nice time together

Oh my goodness - I go out on a date with a scientist and look what happens!

5. I went on a first date with the scientist last night. After expressing my interest in his line of work over a few beers at the bar, he spontaneously invited me to see his lab. (Yes, there were test tubes and beakers.) Outside his office, the sky was clear and we went for a walk to "look at the stars." I'm seeing him again on Friday.

Scientists rule!

Like I said. We are a compulsively honest lot. I hope it works out. Give the boy some patience, we spend a lot of time cooped up in the lab, and often are not the best in terms of social graces. Anyone who knows me can easily attest to that.

Cool. Glad you all had a nice time together

We did. I want to see him one more time - I'm not 100% sure about him (yet) but there did seem to be good chemistry.

Ha ha chemistry joke. He was very sneaky and started talking about what we are made up of (proteins / etc) so he could touch my hand and see if I would run away or be comfortable with that.

Men are sneaky when they are trying to touch you!

Like I said. We are a compulsively honest lot. I hope it works out. Give the boy some patience, we spend a lot of time cooped up in the lab, and often are not the best in terms of social graces. Anyone who knows me can easily attest to that.

Actually, he was perhaps a bit too much for me to handle. Imagine that. Slowing down a scientist is a difficult thing to do once they are determined.

Either that or it is because women only come along every so many years and they don't want to miss an opportunity......

We did. I want to see him one more time - I'm not 100% sure about him (yet) but there did seem to be good chemistry.

Ha ha chemistry joke. He was very sneaky and started talking about what we are made up of (proteins / etc) so he could touch my hand and see if I would run away or be comfortable with that.

Men are sneaky when they are trying to touch you!

~~~~~~. That sounds like a very creative way to get to hold your hand. Impressive

Somehow, "Wanna come see my data center, baby? Oh, they'll need your fingerprint, driver's license, and SSN... if you don't mind. Here's your badge. Choose a PIN."

... just doesn't have the desired effect.

(Unless the girl is a uber-geek.)

;) ;) ;) :rofl:

Not that I want to be at the noisy datacenter any more than necessary, or a date for that matter.

Scientists idea of a date with a happy ending?:D

I think a happy ending is a promise of a second date. And he got that, he even made sure to book a day / time before he left so that it was set in stone.

One of those things about dating - you know the man is interested if he sets up the next meeting with you before he leaves. That whole "when will I see you again?" thing.

It shows they are interested . . . then again, I knew he was interested when we went on the moonlit walk.

Another update:

After the stresses of first dates, and getting home late most nights (and not getting to bed until 2 or 3am) and losing sleep, I kind of miss the peace and quiet of being alone for a night or two.

I cancelled tonight with Friend #1 so I can just go home and relax. I have some work projects I want to do tonight at home too, and it will be good to get 8 hours of sleep.

Being relaxed (and not in a car) will help my phone call too. Tonight is the night I call the Vet and see whether or not there is any chemistry.

One more thing:

I got an eHarmony message today from a man who I was not physically attracted to. He also lived to far away.

His opening line:

"Normally when I tell a girl that I am a pilot, they are impressed and excited - but I don't think that one will work on you . . . . "

LOL. And from his profile it seems flying is just a hobby, not a profession.

Another guy had photos of him with an aviation headset on, and standing in front of a helicopter, and he contacted me too (just a wink). From his profile, however, which says "paramedic" - my guess is that he is not the pilot but rather the passenger.

So my pilot photos are working to attract other pilots?

Back