Pilot - Social Experiment

One last update. I emailed Bachelor #2 and told him I could not continue to date him.

What I did not say here (since I knew pilots might criticize / not understand because of his job and living situation) is that he was funny, nice, filled with great stories, and just an all around good guy.

The "dating" stuff sucked, but the person was great.

So I broke the bad news and he asked if I wanted to perhaps one day join their sporting team instead - to make new friends, etc. They meet on weekends and play various sports each weekend to keep in shape and stay active. I thought sure what the heck.

Then he asked me about flying. I was surprised he was not scared though I wanted to make sure he understood the risk. Thank goodness I got a check out in a 172 which has a much different W&B than the 152. If we fly I will be sure to take photos and post them.

This makes the eHarmony thing worth every penny - gained a new friend, possible flying companion, and possible way through which to make more friends. It would be nice to have a non-dating, non-pilot social life around here and since all my friends are getting married / having kids it has been a real challenge lately.

Happy ending!

The old joke is that an extroverted scientist/engineer is one who stares at YOUR shoes when he is talking to you :yes:

I want to give him a chance, he and I are both serious about looking for that person (the one you spend the rest of your life with). It would be nice to just take it slow and see where it goes.

Anyone who can put up with me is a saint.

Kimberly,

While browsing this forum I just had to sign up after seeing this post to say Good Luck! My experience with online dating was I had a woman who on the first date tell me to go get tested for STD's/AIDS, even after telling her there was no need. :yikes: I suppose I could have seen that as an opportunity, but I'm kind of an old fashioned kind of guy. :blush:

When it comes to finding someone, don't make their attitude towards flying a prerequisite. The one woman I truly loved wasn't totally hooked on flying, but she went because I wanted to share my passion with her. Kind of a tolerate the uneasiness for the adventure type thing. We even talked about flying down to the CAF's hanger dance, because that was something she would have enjoyed.

The main thing is to find someone that not only is your best friend, but also brings out the best in you!

Good luck!

Thanks everyone (and I mean that 100%).

I have sent texts to Bachelor #3 - I won't write what I said here on POA since I do not think everyone would agree with the way I broke the news to him.

We'll see if he agrees to not meet or if he comes up with a clever explanation for his behavior.

Heck he might even go the route of not texting me back.

Date not cancelled (yet) but I did express my concerns to him. And not just because he only wants to meet if I don't have any other dates lined up (which I did not when we made plans but I do now).....

But because I have a LOT of male friends and that would probably be a HUGE issue for him. I can't imagine worrying about hanging out with male pilots or talking to male pilots. That would suck if it would anger him. Not my cup of tea.

Tonight is one of those rare, high pressure, clear nights.

You know, the ones were it is tempting to go for a night flight. Well when you can get to the Golden Gate Bridge and pretty city lights in less than 30 minutes . . . .

Night flights are great therapy for the mind and soul...... Cal the FBO and see if they have a open airplane for ya.

We'll see if he agrees to not meet or if he comes up with a clever explanation for his behavior.

Usually the agreement not to meet is a unilateral agreement - only one side needs to decide.

Don't you love posting this up for everyone to pick apart? :wink2:

I thought about this. My plan is that as soon as I meet a good one I will go back into this thread and edit some of my replies / responses.

Anyone who ends up in a long-term relationship with you who can't handle this thread, probably shouldn't have made it to the final round. Seriously.

Love gets us into marriage. The decision to be committed even if you don't always agree, keeps us in marriage. Emotions come and go, decisions from principled people, stand.

If you have to censor yourself, you found the wrong guy.

This thread is getting very deep.

Oh and although Bachelor #3 did say earlier today in a text that he was out of town and would not be back until very late tonight, he (so far) has not responded to my texts about having hesitations RE: Tuesday.

I hope he doesn't claim he never got my texts and that I stood him up.

This is the internet. Crazier things have happened.

On a positive note, I may do a night Bay Tour tonight with- well we can't call him bachelor anymore - let's call him "friend #1".

An introvert/shy on the phone may very well bloom into a very nice and considerate guy after he trusts... If he flew as a kid and says he's interested in getting his ppl and he's a scientist then he's possibly pretty interesting under the layer of self protection/nerdness.
I say, yeah give him a chance....

You're very wise!

I heart introverts.

In fact, I'm always seeking someone who has qualities I can admire.

I admire introverts, and can learn from them.

They are often the best at a lot of things, but you'd never know it, cuz they aren't going around bragging about it.

I just got around to reading this thread, and don't feel like reading the whole thing, but, I haven't had much luck with online dating either.

Lets just say there is a reason they are online. Stalkers (seriously had like 5....)

One who was married, but getting a divorce and was secretly pregnant. That one resulted in police getting involved, and me buying a stun gun and mace in case her "ex" came around..

This "ex" used to call and harrass me like crazy. One day I finally got tired of it and called his bluff, "come get me <bad word>, i'll be waiting". Never heard from him again, thank god.

I just got around to reading this thread, and don't feel like reading the whole thing, but, I haven't had much luck with online dating either.

Lets just say there is a reason they are online. Stalkers (seriously had like 5....)

One who was married, but getting a divorce and was secretly pregnant. That one resulted in police getting involved, and me buying a stun gun and mace in case her "ex" came around..

This "ex" used to call and harrass me like crazy. One day I finally got tired of it and called his bluff, "come get me <bad word>, i'll be waiting". Never heard from him again, thank god.

You could make a movie about that.

You could make a movie about that.

Most of it wasn't as "exciting" as that sounded. Four of them "stalkers" just didn't take no for an answer. I never met them in person. They just kept sending texts and calling for literally a year with no response from me before they gave up.

The woman who was married was honestly pretty amazing except for that baggage. We hung out for 3 months before I found out anything about that. We never "did anything" thank god. I found out about all that, when her "ex" apparently did. he was the one who more or less informed me. Then things got "exciting".

This is interesting and reminds me of my not-that-bad-but-filled-with-red-flags-the-50-fathers-and-I-don't-like date last night.

This woman was sitting next to us at the bar with a man. When the man went to the bathroom, she turned to us and said, "OK. Now I'm totally eavesdropping on you two talking about worst first dates." I said hello to her, and informed her that I was on an eHarmony date.

Her eyes got wide as she told us a funny story. Apparently, years ago, both she and her cousin joined eHarmony. After she got "matched" with a man whose profile picture showed his two arms were actually metal hooks, so did her cousin. Exact same guy.

I've had stalkers, but none as aggressive as yours. Then again, I don't hang out for 3 months as friends. If I don't get a kiss goodnight by the third date, I figure the guy is not interested in me sexually.

Kimberly

This is interesting and reminds me of my not-that-bad-but-filled-with-red-flags-the-50-fathers-and-I-don't-like date last night.

This woman was sitting next to us at the bar with a man. When the man went to the bathroom, she turned to us and said, "OK. Now I'm totally eavesdropping on you two talking about worst first dates." I said hello to her, and informed her that I was on an eHarmony date.

Her eyes got wide as she told us a funny story. Apparently, years ago, both she and her cousin joined eHarmony. After she got "matched" with a man whose profile picture showed his two arms were actually metal hooks, so did her cousin. Exact same guy.

I've had stalkers, but none as aggressive as yours. Then again, I don't hang out for 3 months as friends. If I don't get a kiss goodnight by the third date, I figure the guy is not interested in me sexually.

Kimberly

Well, i should say we did kiss good night, but it didn't go further than that. She wanted to take things slow. (who would have guessed looking back...)

The woman who was married was honestly pretty amazing except for that baggage.

Other than being "secretly pregnant" after letting that happen with some guy apparently not worthy of being her child's father, and dating... to try to cover up that mistake.

A sign of an excellent well-grounded future mother with a plan for her child. :(

"Amazing", all right. Sad is probably more accurate.

I once had a girlfiend who was being harassed by someone she had previously dated. (This was long before the days of the World Wide Web, let alone online dating.) He would call her many times a day and just hang up when the phone was answered. I helped her get it stopped. At one point I think we may have gotten the FBI involved, as it turned out he was doing it across state lines.

The Golden Gate Bridge looks amazing at night. Just breathtaking.

AWOS: Wind - CALM (awesome), viz 10, clear below 12,000

All TAFs: Clear skies until well after midnight

No airmets for IFR.

All current airport readings were clear, not a cloud in the sky.

High pressure.

Friend #1 was very excited to go and even made a partial donation (about one third of the flight).

Since the day I got my cert, I have not once flown alone! Flying is just - soooooo incredible. And my 172 landing (according to the pax) was "great".

The Golden Gate Bridge looks amazing at night. Just breathtaking.

AWOS: Wind - CALM (awesome), viz 10, clear below 12,000

All TAFs: Clear skies until well after midnight

No airmets for IFR.

All current airport readings were clear, not a cloud in the sky.

High pressure.

Friend #1 was very excited to go and even made a partial donation (about one third of the flight).

Since the day I got my cert, I have not once flown alone! Flying is just - soooooo incredible. And my 172 landing (according to the pax) was "great".
I heart these posts!

(As I sit here, doing laundry! :()

That one resulted in police getting involved, and me buying a stun gun and mace in case her "ex"

Smart move ditching her. That is the only way he got your number, was from her.

I chuckled when I saw Mace and stun gun. Then I forgot you weren't in Texas. I don't leave home without my second amendment privilege.

Today's update:

Date with scientist tonight (Bachelor #4). He likes lagers and bitters. We are meeting for a beer.

Bachelor #3 never replied to my "concerns" about his jealousy - so my GUESS is that we are not still on for tomorrow night.

Friend #1 had a good time last night on our night flight and the pillows for the 172 he brought for me to sit on are now in my trunk. This means I need to get them to him again and see him this week. Don't know how he is sleeping without pillows.

Vet still hasn't called or texted me back.

Other contacts are "waiting for response" on eHarmony - which is a process that takes several days / up to a week to complete.

Bachelor #1 goes in for surgery (he will be awake while they simply numb his wrist only) today and I haven't heard from him again except for the text on Saturday. I will give it a week and if I don't hear from him I will assume he is not interested.

Today's update:

Date with scientist tonight (Bachelor #4). He likes lagers and bitters. We are meeting for a beer.

Bachelor #3 never replied to my "concerns" about his jealousy - so my GUESS is that we are not still on for tomorrow night.

Friend #1 had a good time last night on our night flight and the pillows for the 172 he brought for me to sit on are now in my trunk. This means I need to get them to him again and see him this week. Don't know how he is sleeping without pillows.

Vet still hasn't called or texted me back.

Other contacts are "waiting for response" on eHarmony - which is a process that takes several days / up to a week to complete.

Bachelor #1 goes in for surgery (he will be awake while they simply numb his wrist only) today and I haven't heard from him again except for the text on Saturday. I will give it a week and if I don't hear from him I will assume he is not interested.

errr, you guys sat on those pillows in a rental airplane and he'll put them back on the bed? :yikes:

I have *never* understood people who travel (airlines) with their pillows. Unless they plan to throw them out once they get home.

Just stumbled across this thread, it is an interesting idea.

Best of luck, from one who can't be called one of the 50+ fathers, I'm a little young for that title:lol:

If it was me, wouldn't be too worried about the pillows, I have one hell of an immune system now.

The girl I am dating is a kindergarten teacher. When we first started going out I got sick all the time! It was actually a real problem for awhile. Few months down the road and I think I have been exposed to everything now...

Glad you had a good time night flying! I owe myself a night flight here sometime soon.. its been a few weeks at least

errr, you guys sat on those pillows in a rental airplane and he'll put them back on the bed? :yikes:

I have *never* understood people who travel (airlines) with their pillows. Unless they plan to throw them out once they get home.

And I have *never* understood people who are so cautious about germs.

I rarely pay attention to that stuff and (knock on wood) I only get sick perhaps once or twice a year, for 1-3 days, and not severe enough to take days off work to stay in bed.

Kimberly

LOL on the immune system... I pretty much expect to come down with a fever during the first week of school now, as my daughter brings something home.

Didn't even think about that - with all these dates perhaps I should start drinking airborne instead of beers LOL.

I had text messaged the scientist last night that I enjoyed our talk on the phone in the morning and was excited to meet him tonight for beers.

No response to that text at all yesterday or today.

Then - a moment ago, my phone indicated a new text message. It was him, Bachelor #4 - saying he had fun talking to me and was looking forward to tonight.

Yay Bachelor #4.

He seems like an honest, genuine person and even warned in his profile that sometimes he may seem "quiet" in person but it is not because he does not have anything interesting to say - it is simply because he has figured out that you can learn a lot more when you listen a lot more.

Fingers crossed for tonight.

Sounds like one you might have to give some leeway on the third date kiss rule.

I'm a little on the shy side and my fiance felt she needed to make the first move when we first started dating.

Sounds like one you might have to give some leeway on the third date kiss rule.

I'm a little on the shy side and my fiance felt she needed to make the first move when we first started dating.

Yep. I was the same way... I tended to let the lady lead on that stuff, especially if I really liked her.

I found myself reciting Shepard's Prayer a lot when I really liked a lady way back when.

Back