Pilot - Social Experiment

So is it not considered normal to date more than one person anymore? I mean can't you go out with a couple of men and not limit yourself to only one until you are sure that you want to commit to that person for a time?

Doh!!!! I'm not a big poster on any Internet site, but felt compelled to comment......

To answer the post quoted above, it is absolutely ok to date more than one, or ten people at the same (I'd personally need an assistant or palm pilot) time- so long as it's clear there's no commitment.

Tonight was interesting. Bachelor #2 doesn't know it yet but I most likely will not see him again.

He was entertaining, however he looked a lot different than his photos and his shapes and sizes have changed significantly since those photos were taken.

Add to that - I joked about my "old" questions (back in the Craigslist days). They were things like: does the guy live with his parents, does the guy have a job, has he ever done drugs, does he smoke cigarettes, etc . . . and he answered all of the questions the wrong way.

Oh and he took out his phone a lot - and kept apologizing - not sure if he was texting or what - but that is a big NO NO.

Watching the Giants on the TV at the bar is OK, but cell phones are bad. Also, constant and seemingly uncontrolled leg shaking is bad. You know, that nervous habit that some people have under the table.

After the bar / brewery and one pint later, we went for a hike / walk. He was sweet to ask me to text him when I got home OK after we parted ways.

Argh. Back to square one. Though Bachelor #1 may or may not contact me again. My guess is he is just taking it slow or waiting for Monday's surgery. Regardless, I will be ok with whichever way that goes. If I don't see him anymore that would be fine.

He was entertaining, however he looked a lot different than his photos and his shapes and sizes have changed significantly since those photos were taken.

RED FLAG #1

They were things like: does the guy live with his parents, does the guy have a job, has he ever done drugs, does he smoke cigarettes, etc . . . and he answered all of the questions the wrong way.

RED FLAG #2

Oh and he took out his phone a lot - and kept apologizing - not sure if he was texting or what - but that is a big NO NO.

RED FLAG #3

Also, constant and seemingly uncontrolled leg shaking is bad.

RED FLAG #4

I'm sure you don't need any advice from the east coast, but...RUN, DON'T WALK! :eek:

I have been off the blue board for a while...it's cloudy...too cold to take the boat out so I thought I would drop in here...looked around and WOW...
this thread has me laughing my butt off...Hi Kimberly, my name is Kelvin...

A bit of eH insight...always add 20 lbs...and understand that us guys are gonna do everything we can to look waaay cooler in that profile than we really are...

I lost my wife in April of last year and have recently gotten back into dating....If this is some solace, I did the e-harmony thing and have really met some very high caliber women. Be patient...I have found that the eH "Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator" matching thing actually does get it right...

I wish you well...lose the "I am too old" thing...it simply is not true...

Onto the Vet.

Not so fast. I sent him a text and left a voicemail. Ball is in his court. I think he confessed he's been on eHarmony for 1-2 years with minimal luck and likes to hang out at home with his cats. Plus he's not that close to my house.

Today:

1. Need to write a polite "no thanks" email to Bachelor #2 since he still thinks we're going out to dinner during the week

2. I remain in "unknown" territory until I hear from Bachelor #1 again but I think he is just taking it slow which is cute

3. I wait to hear back from the Vet

4. I sent a text (already) to Bachelor #3 who was jealous and refused to meet me because of Bachelors #1 and #2. I texted they were living at home, larger than life, without a job. This eased his decision a bit and he said he is free Tuesday night - "as long as you don't have any other dates lined up". Sort of worried about that - I mean it is online dating - deal with it dude.

5. There are others who I have not yet given my phone number to - I may try to contact them today via email and see if we can talk.

6. I have to work all day to earn back some of the money I spent on my checkout yesterday in the 172.

Ya know..... My concern is.

If Bachelor # 1, or 2 or 3 or all of them lurk on POA ,my feeling is poor Kimberly might end up on a Nancy Grace show,,,, and not the one being interviewed either....:dunno::dunno::dunno:.... This 'play by play' stuff could really bite you in the a$$... IMHO

Ben (hope I am wrong) Haas.

I'm too lazy to create 3 new logons to POA; Bachelor#1, Bachelor#2, etc but it does have the beginnings of a great practical joke ... :D

Today:

1. Need to write a polite "no thanks" email to Bachelor #2 since he still thinks we're going out to dinner during the week

2. I remain in "unknown" territory until I hear from Bachelor #1 again but I think he is just taking it slow which is cute

3. I wait to hear back from the Vet

4. I sent a text (already) to Bachelor #3 who was jealous and refused to meet me because of Bachelors #1 and #2. I texted they were living at home, larger than life, without a job. This eased his decision a bit and he said he is free Tuesday night - "as long as you don't have any other dates lined up". Sort of worried about that - I mean it is online dating - deal with it dude.

5. There are others who I have not yet given my phone number to - I may try to contact them today via email and see if we can talk.

6. I have to work all day to earn back some of the money I spent on my checkout yesterday in the 172.

I wouldn't even attempt re-contact of number 3. Un-frick-en-believable. I'm a little worried that you are playing into his hand on this so soon, too. You don't owe him one iota of an explanation. You didn't even need to tell him what your plans were those nights.

That kind of thing always bugged me when I was using online dating sites. I don't particularly enjoy having nothing but first dates all the time, so
I always made sure I had recent photos posted.

Here is the "experiment" - using pilot pictures, references, and listing "aviation" in the hobbies area
vs
Not making any pilot references whatsoever.
This experiment may take several months to complete.

KA, if this duplicates something I've already said, just shine it on. I'm to the point where I'm getting OFD. (Old Fart's Disease)

Oshkosh, 1995. Ratio of single males to single females somewhere between 50:1 and 100:1. Lousy odds. Gave my forum and in my usual shy, diminutive manner I'm shooting the bull out behind the forum tent with a dozen of my buddies I'd made over the last 20 years at The Show. Hear this little voice behind me that says, "That's not correct". I turn around to see this little Chicago blonde with the big mouth. I say, "Lady, I'm a flight instructor and I know what I'm talking about." She says, "I'm a flight instructor and you are wrong." I say, "Lady, I'm an FAA Aviation Safety Counselor and I'm right." She says, "I'm an FAA Aviation Safety Counselor and you are wrong." Out of ideas I say, "You wanna go to dinner and talk about this?" We trade one-upsmanship during dinner with our certificates.

Oshkosh 1996. Ratio of available males to available females down by one each. I start off my forum with some cockamamie story about carbon transistors with gold minority carrier doping (true) and then pull a ring out of my pocket, "Here's a carbon crystal with gold doping and will you marry me?" 500 people in the forum tent go wild.

Oshkosh 1997. Compass Hill immediately after the airshow. Married right after the airshow by a retired United captain turned preacher. "Honeymoon" was in the UW-Oshkosh dorms with a double-forum the next day on packing snacks for a long trip.

Experiment has been going on for 16 years without too many hiccups.

Jim

Last edited:

Feelings of jealousy are normal, and can even be beneficial in moderation, but his attitude seems very unrealistic, given the venue through which you're meeting.

KA, if this duplicates something I've already said, just shine it on. I'm to the point where I'm getting OFD. (Old Fart's Disease)

Oshkosh, 1995. Ratio of single males to single females somewhere between 50:1 and 100:1. Lousy odds. Gave my forum and in my usual shy, diminutive manner I'm shooting the bull out behind the forum tent with a dozen of my buddies I'd made over the last 20 years at The Show. Hear this little voice behind me that says, "That's not correct". I turn around to see this little Chicago blonde with the big mouth. I say, "Lady, I'm a flight instructor and I know what I'm talking about." She says, "I'm a flight instructor and you are wrong." I say, "Lady, I'm an FAA Aviation Safety Counselor and I'm right." She says, "I'm an FAA Aviation Safety Counselor and you are wrong." Out of ideas I say, "You wanna go to dinner and talk about this?" We trade one-upsmanship during dinner with our certificates.

Oshkosh 1996. Ratio of available males to available females down by one each. I start off my forum with some cockamamie story about carbon transistors with gold minority carrier doping (true) and then pull a ring out of my pocket, "Here's a carbon crystal with gold doping and will you marry me?" 500 people in the forum tent go wild.

Oshkosh 1997. Compass Hill immediately after the airshow. Married right after the airshow by a retired United captain turned preacher. "Honeymoon" was in the UW-Oshkosh dorms with a double-forum the next day on packing snacks for a long trip.

Experiment has been going on for 16 years without too many hiccups.

Jim

OK... on the original meeting... you were wrong (whatever you were talking about), weren't you?

Congratulations on your great marriage.

Who was right? And if you say you were she will be reading this! LOL

OK... on the original meeting... you were wrong (whatever you were talking about), weren't you?

Congratulations on your great marriage.

Ya know, we've never thrashed it out. We both still think we are correct, but in deference to our relationship we just never discuss it. Besides, having a fight over a stupid FAR doesn't really impress me as something to get our shorts in a wad over.

What to have for dinner tonight? THAT is worthy of discussion :goofy:

Great? Hardest damned thing I've ever done in my life, but worth it.

Sorry that I can't really help you (I've been married since I was like 9 years old), but that textsfromlastnight.com site is perhaps the funniest thing I've ever seen!!!
Laughing so hard I'm crying!

Re: Pilot - Social Expirement

Only one. I'm married to an Italian, not a Mormon.
If you are married to an Italian I doubt you'd survive having two wives (if they knew about each other).;)

I'd avoid Bachelor #3... Unless you WANT a possessive control freak for a partner.

We shall see. I can be a little too honest sometimes and plenty of men don't want to be reminded about how many others you are meeting that week.

But I will definitely find a way to get answers to these questions on Tuesday.

Ha sit at home with his cats!

How did you like the 172?

I liked it a lot, more stable in fact. Flying is so awesome, I am tempted to take a date / passenger up soon but I need to be safe about it. Like staying close to my familiar airport at first, etc.

Ya know..... My concern is.

If Bachelor # 1, or 2 or 3 or all of them lurk on POA ,my feeling is poor Kimberly might end up on a Nancy Grace show,,,, and not the one being interviewed either....:dunno::dunno::dunno:.... This 'play by play' stuff could really bite you in the a$$... IMHO

Ben (hope I am wrong) Haas.

Ben,

I thought about this. My plan is that as soon as I meet a good one I will go back into this thread and edit some of my replies / responses.

Nobody on POA is interested in me anyways. I'm certainly not for everyone.

Kimberly

That kind of thing always bugged me when I was using online dating sites. I don't particularly enjoy having nothing but first dates all the time, so
I always made sure I had recent photos posted.

I used those photos from 7 days ago (last weekend, my first flight as a private pilot). That solved the "recent photos" issue.

Okay now I am really reading what everyone said. I think I should cancel Bachelor #3. Plus he did that whole shirt off in pictures thing which is usually the sign of a guy that spends ten hours a day at the gym and cares about nothing else.

I found Bachelor #4 but am also concerned. He is a scientific person, lives and works near me, and we are meeting tomorrow (Monday). Things were sometimes a bit slow on the phone and my worry is I have too much energy for him. He might be too shy and reserved for me. He said his dad used to fly them around as kids and he wants to get his PPL someday. I guess I should give him a chance but am hesitant.

Actually our date won't start until after eight. And I'm not sure what day it will be. Tuesday, today, or tomorrow. Oh and he might show up in a sling. I guess he dislocated his shoulder in sports.
That could mean he fell off a stool while watching a football game in a bar.

An introvert/shy on the phone may very well bloom into a very nice and considerate guy after he trusts... If he flew as a kid and says he's interested in getting his ppl and he's a scientist then he's possibly pretty interesting under the layer of self protection/nerdness.
I say, yeah give him a chance....

That could mean he fell off a stool while watching a football game in a bar.

heh - there was a guy in my neighborhood with his arm in one of those casts that attaches at the hip to hold his bent arm in front of him at shoulder level. I hadn't seen him in a while and asked him what happened. He said he got in a fight at bar. After he walked away, another neighbor said, "That beats the real story. He was mowing the lawn and slipped on a wet spot on the slope in front of his house."

My wife says that flying is the perfect mixture of nerdiness and cool for me. And I'm a scientist too.

Back