Pilot - Social Experiment

Cool. You already know from personal experience that we're all constantly "broke", right? ;)

When rentals feel comfortable fiscally, we buy an airplane. When that airplane is "too slow", "too old", "too whatever", we buy another one. Haha.

We may make higher than average salaries, but cash retention is low. We figure out how to maximize spending on our hobby.

;) ;) ;)

Cool. You already know from personal experience that we're all constantly "broke", right? ;)

When rentals feel comfortable fiscally, we buy an airplane. When that airplane is "too slow", "too old", "too whatever", we buy another one. Haha.

We may make higher than average salaries, but cash retention is low. We figure out how to maximize spending on our hobby.

;) ;) ;)

Did you not read my post about the date with the guy who got laid off?

I actually feel uncomfortable around "rich" people anyways.

I hesitated to date since I myself am more broke now than I've been in recent memory, so I didn't date because - I wanted to bring something to the table financially.

Then I realized if I wait until I'm "where I want to be" in my life I will be older and might have missed out on someone special.

Kimberly

Heh, I wasn't picking on your choices... was just joking that the pilots all waited because they knew they were broke.

They had to save up a week or two of money and not go flying so they could afford to take you to dinner. :rofl: Thus... the delay.

Heh, I wasn't picking on your choices... was just joking that the pilots all waited because they knew they were broke.

They had to save up a week or two of money and not go flying so they could afford to take you to dinner. :rofl: Thus... the delay.

Oh that's funny. I didn't even get your joke!

And we don't go to dinner, or at least I don't. I meet them for a coffee or a beer.

And I buy them the beer - so no need to save money . . .

Some guys don't like this, or open a tab before I get there. But lots of them think it is a nice gesture, and then if they want a second beer they simply buy it themself.

Personally I think it takes a lot more (sometimes unfounded) trust for a non=pilot to accept an airplane ride from someone they don't know well than the other way around.
No kidding.

IME very few non=pilots will deliberately interfere with the pilot flying the plane they're in but it has happened. Maybe you ought to just carry a pocket Taser to get the pax to lay off the controls.:D
I've found that adults are wary of getting anywhere near the controls. Children, on the other hand, especially small children, love switches, buttons and anything that lights up. :)

I hesitated to date since I myself am more broke now than I've been in recent memory, so I didn't date because - I wanted to bring something to the table financially.

Then I realized if I wait until I'm "where I want to be" in my life I will be older and might have missed out on someone special.

Kimberly

This is a very analytical methodology to something that could be fun as spontaneity. Are you an engineer?

What ever happened to: "hey, met this cool guy, were going for beers tonight, no strings"?

I've clearly been out of the game too long. With no plans on getting back in!

Sure, I'll stop, how do I delete threads anyways?

And no, I'm not an engineer. When I go out I do really spontaneous stuff, and I do have fun. It doesn't come out that way in here I know.

It's really good to see so much excitement about flying but using this forum for dating advice is pretty lame. Frankly, using any forum for dating is kinda lame, but what do I know.....:yikes:
Could be the new method for those who just don't have the personality to go out and meet people in public....:dunno:
Sorry Kim, how 'bout talking flying here and get off this dopey subject ?????????

This is NOT what I meant. At all.

I was just saying, go out and have some fun, without worrying about the rest of your life. I have no problem with using the internet. I didn't need it myself. I met my wife the old fashioned way. In a Bar!

Kim,

Have fun dating.. I met my wife on Match.com almost 8 years ago. So, i am a testament that it works out.

heh - I have a couple of friends, both in their mid-80s. They've been married now for a couple of years. Both widowed, both from small towns, both healthy and sharp as a tack. Both of them were steered into match.com by their children/grandchildren. They met, it worked out for them, and they have a good story to tell.

Have fun! Life is too short not to even try.

Like I said. We are a compulsively honest lot. I hope it works out. Give the boy some patience, we spend a lot of time cooped up in the lab, and often are not the best in terms of social graces. Anyone who knows me can easily attest to that.

That was all you really needed to say...:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:;)

No Mike you still have the right oversight.
WAY too much analysis and too little "fire in the belly" for this girl. It's really good to see so much excitement about flying but using this forum for dating advice is pretty lame. Frankly, using any forum for dating is kinda lame, but what do I know.....:yikes:
Could be the new method for those who just don't have the personality to go out and meet people in public....:dunno:
Sorry Kim, how 'bout talking flying here and get off this dopey subject ?????????

Chill. If no one wanted to hear about it, the thread wouldn't be 14 pages long. If we can converse about guns, bikes, and golf, we can certainly hear about Kimberley's love life. I'm still rooting for the biochemist, but I admit to a certain bias.

Chill. If no one wanted to hear about it, the thread wouldn't be 14 pages long. If we can converse about guns, bikes, and golf, we can certainly hear about Kimberley's love life. I'm still rooting for the biochemist, but I admit to a certain bias.

The chemist sent me texts last night to ask how my day was and it was cute. He asked what music I liked / what put me into a great mood - and I suspect he is going to try and show me his San Francisco apartment on Friday and play my "favorite" bands in the background . . .

Chemists!

Well, if you don't care if someone is broke and homeless, just hang out at the airport more - shouldn't take long to find lots of unattached flight instructors.

Not exactly what I meant. Each case is unique. In this instance I found out by accident.

Had I known in advance that this person lived with their parents, I probably would have NOT gone on a date with them. It may sound mean, but depending on the circumstance, I think people should "leave the nest" and be independent. If they can't afford their own place, they can have roommates, but living with Mom and Dad - to me - is not OK.

That being said, if it is truly a temporary thing or a special circumstance, I might be willing to make an exception.

I dated a girl once who lived with her parents. Made it that much harder to get any nookie. When I saw her father's gun collection I cut and ran.

The chemist sent me texts last night to ask how my day was and it was cute. He asked what music I liked / what put me into a great mood - and I suspect he is going to try and show me his San Francisco apartment on Friday and play my "favorite" bands in the background .

Detail-oriented. ;)

The chemist sent me texts last night to ask how my day was and it was cute. He asked what music I liked / what put me into a great mood - and I suspect he is going to try and show me his San Francisco apartment on Friday and play my "favorite" bands in the background . . .

Chemists!

Well, if you want chemistry in your relationship....

If he's made you a mix tape or playlist (see High Fidelity), he's probably a keeper.

Oh no - Bachelor #1 has texted me his surgery was a success and wants to see if I'm free this weekend for a comedy show (something I said was my favorite thing to do on my eHarmony questions to him, so he's paying attention).

Problem is I have chemist on Friday and Vet on Sunday - not sure if I should go with Bachelor #1 on Saturday and be exhausted.....

I have never had this problem before. Usually too many bad ones, not too many good ones.

Hmmm...... I guess he can have a second date. But come Monday someone needs to be eliminated. I've already confused who told me what about themselves and that was really bad.

Plus friend number one tonight. Who thought I'd miss being home alone?

Oh no - Bachelor #1 has texted me his surgery was a success and wants to see if I'm free this weekend for a comedy show (something I said was my favorite thing to do on my eHarmony questions to him, so he's paying attention).

Problem is I have chemist on Friday and Vet on Sunday - not sure if I should go with Bachelor #1 on Saturday and be exhausted.....

I have never had this problem before. Usually too many bad ones, not too many good ones.

Hmmm...... I guess he can have a second date. But come Monday someone needs to be eliminated. I've already confused who told me what about themselves and that was really bad.

Plus friend number one tonight. Who thought I'd miss being home alone?

In my experience, it's famine or feast. Since B#1 followed up, you should give him the shot, but if you can't do Saturday, give him a sincere apology and set him up for early next week.

Then I suggest you schedule yourself some "me" time next week without dates. And you don't HAVE to winnow down the list if you're really liking the guys and not finding yourself getting serious about one.

I also strongly recommend you offer anybody you get serious about an airplane ride, as a test. It doesn't matter if they say yes or no, it's HOW they say yes or no that matters.

It's clear to me that "pilot" is, and will continue to be, a significant part of what makes you "you". You can have a great relationship with someone who shares your passion for flight. You can have a great relationship with someone who is indifferent to your passion for flight. You CANNOT have a great relationship with someone who is jealous or unsupportive of your passion for flight.

In my experience, it's famine or feast. Since B#1 followed up, you should give him the shot, but if you can't do Saturday, give him a sincere apology and set him up for early next week.

Then I suggest you schedule yourself some "me" time next week without dates. And you don't HAVE to winnow down the list if you're really liking the guys and not finding yourself getting serious about one.

I also strongly recommend you offer anybody you get serious about an airplane ride, as a test. It doesn't matter if they say yes or no, it's HOW they say yes or no that matters.

It's clear to me that "pilot" is, and will continue to be, a significant part of what makes you "you". You can have a great relationship with someone who shares your passion for flight. You can have a great relationship with someone who is indifferent to your passion for flight. You CANNOT have a great relationship with someone who is jealous or unsupportive of your passion for flight.

Actually, I'm free Saturday night, but I agree with you - Bachelor #1 and the chemist (both who have had first dates that went OK) have priority over Vet who lives further away and I haven't met.

Vet likes to fly and has flown his dad's plane. Chemist wants to fly too and I think his dad flew. Bachelor #1 I forget but I don't think he hates it.

I texted to reschedule the vet from Sunday (even though I like him so much already over the phone). This is because I searched "comedy clubs" on Saturday night and there are tons of headliners but if Bachelor # 1 were to attempt to pay for the entire date it would easily be over $100 after the ticket fees, parking garage, and two drink minimum. If we go on Sunday night there is a fun (and cheap) comedy club with 10 comedians for $12 and free parking. Still a two drink minimum, but since I was kind of on the fence about him I don't really want him shelling out big bucks. So Sunday is vet, which means I need to move him, to save B #1 money.

Man, I'm a cheap date. Of course, who knows, he may want to split it or whatever. Doubt he'll make me pay for the whole thing.

I've got a question;

Why the big worry about what a guy is spending on you? Maybe he would like to take you to a favorite of his to share it with you just as you like to take them up in the 172 so you can share with them your passion.

If he "shells out big bucks" and it doesn't work out, I don't think its the money that's going to bother him.

Or, I have no idea how money is handled on dates anymore. Me personally would want to pay for a date, hold doors and be a gentleman. If that offended anyone, I wouldn't be a match. Is it way different now? I would be open to someone paying, but if I want to take someone to the comedy club, I should be allowed to pay for it??? What the hell do I know.

I'm 49, tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about and I'll understand.

I've got a question;

Why the big worry about what a guy is spending on you? Maybe he would like to take you to a favorite of his to share it with you just as you like to take them up in the 172 so you can share with them your passion.

If he "shells out big bucks" and it doesn't work out, I don't think its the money that's going to bother him.

Or, I have no idea how money is handled on dates anymore. Me personally would want to pay for a date, hold doors and be a gentleman. If that offended anyone, I wouldn't be a match. Is it way different now? I would be open to someone paying, but if I want to take someone to the comedy club, I should be allowed to pay for it??? What the hell do I know.

I'm 49, tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about and I'll understand.

He used to be a waiter, he drives an older car, he just paid for / helped pay for surgery, and to be able to afford his own place in SF he is probably spending most of his paycheck on that.

I know how it is to struggle. I'm not saying he is struggling, but I don't think has a lot of extra money and a post someone made earlier about "broke pilots" saving up for weeks to take me out to dinner made me think. I'd rather see him twice a week than once a month if he's "saving up" for me.

Get it now? Or should I explain further. . . ?

Oh - that's right - I forgot to tell you - I don't like to think I "owe a guy" anything (non money stuff in return for a night out).

You know what I mean.

Oh and no, it is not way different now, I dated a guy in 2010 who insisted on taking me out almost 100% of the time.

But I let him because:

A) We were in a monogamous relationship - in love, met the parents, the whole nine yards

B ) He made a TON of money and had a house, cars, motorcycles, etc. I was making pennies.

He used to be a waiter, he drives an older car, he just paid for / helped pay for surgery, and to be able to afford his own place in SF he is probably spending most of his paycheck on that.

I know how it is to struggle. I'm not saying he is struggling, but I don't think has a lot of extra money and a post someone made earlier about "broke pilots" saving up for weeks to take me out to dinner made me think. I'd rather see him twice a week than once a month if he's "saving up" for me.

Get it now? Or should I explain further. . . ?

Oh - that's right - I forgot to tell you - I don't like to think I "owe a guy" anything (non money stuff in return for a night out).

You know what I mean.
I kinda get it, but you seem really focused on the other guys finances. give him some credit for knowing how much he can afford. If your not going out as often as you would like, you can call, ask him out and insist on buying because you want to. I'd be good with that if it were me. Most men appreciate strong and independent women, which is the heart of this thread. We all know what it takes to be a pilot, commitment, a level of intelligence, mental strength, and so on.

Let them like you for who you are and not how your trying to save them a few bucks. Just my opinion which I assume your ok with hearing from total strangers:D

I also get the "owe a guy" thing, but I think a comedy club doesn't approach the "indecent proposal" territory. Besides, those are things YOU control and should never let go of.

You do seem to be having fun with this, which is the point and its fun to see. Assuming that your real attitude is making its way through this website.

Chemists!

Betty Childs, Pi-Delta-Pi: [blissfully] Oh, Stan. You were wonderful. You did things to me you've never done before.
[Lewis takes off his mask]
Betty Childs, Pi-Delta-Pi: [gasps] Ahhh! You're that NERD!
Lewis: Yeah.
Betty Childs, Pi-Delta-Pi: [blissfully] Oh, you were wonderful.
[gasps in ecstacy]
Betty Childs, Pi-Delta-Pi: Are all nerds as good as you?
Lewis: Yes.
Betty Childs, Pi-Delta-Pi: How come?
Lewis: 'Cause all Jocks ever think about is sports, all we ever think about is sex.
:D

That's my "Revenge of the Nerds" quote for the week.

Re: Pilot - Social Expirement

Good luck. I think the use of a dating service used to come with a considerable stigma. I think that is now declining. I have a number of friends and now several relatives who have used such services successfully. All are quite happy with the results (at least as far as I can tell). Good luck.

I think in today's internet age it is THE most common way for two people to meet. I could list off a dozen couples I know who met on-line and, at least so far, all have proved to be incredibly well-matched.

Good luck with the experiment!

Re: Pilot - Social Expirement

I think in today's internet age it is THE most common way for two people to meet. I could list off a dozen couples I know who met on-line and, at least so far, all have proved to be incredibly well-matched.
I agree except in my observation it usually happens more informally rather than by using a dating service. I guess the advantage of a dating service is that you don't waste your time going after someone who isn't interested in a relationship at that particular time. Both sides are probably pretty motivated. :idea:

Actually, I'm free Saturday night, .

OOOkay folks, I'm just a little suspicious. Comes from being an engineer for 50 years that has been bull****ted to more often than I care to admit and having caught the bull**** less often than I care to admit.

"Kimberly" has a picture of a ravishing young blonde lady with a decent body and a nice smile. I can get ten THOUSAND pictures of ladies like that and make up ten THOUSAND stories of how I'm a new student pilot and just got my certificate and now I'm on the prowl for man meat.

Perhaps we've bought it prop to taillight. I'm not so sure. How do we get proof that this thread is for real?

Thanks,

Jim

Back