Pet Peeves

I refuse to use starbucks lingo

You, too, eh?

It drives me NUTS that they have three sizes, and all of them are "large." Who do they think they are fooling by using different languages?

It confuses them horribly when I order espresso. They ask me if I want milk in it. That would make it a latte. If I wanted a latte, I'd order a latte. Sometimes they even argue with me. Do you want water in it? No. Do you want it iced? No. How about "whip?" No. Sugar? No. Just two shots of espresso straight up.

Besides, they don't want my lactose intolerant butt in their shop after feeding me a latte. Well, I guess maybe if they need to strip off the paint.

Last edited:
You, too, eh?

It drives me NUTS that they have three sizes, and all of them are "large." Who do they think they are fooling by using different languages?

It confuses them horribly when I order espresso. They ask me if I want milk in it. That would make it a latte. If I wanted a latte, I'd order a latte. Sometimes they even argue with me. Do you want water in it? No. Do you want it iced? No. How about "whip?" No. Sugar? No. Just two shots of espresso straight up.

Besides, they don't want my lactose intolerant butt in their shop after feeding me a latte. Well, I guess maybe if they need to strip off the paint.

Want to really confuse them? Walk up and say, 'Cup of coffee please' you can look in their eyes and see them trip over their brain.:lol: They come to a stuttering halt trying to figure out where to start with you.:lol:

At the gym and just got off the treadmill doing sprints. I'm tired and thirsty. Walk over to the water fountain and a dude sites there filing up a gallon jug..really dude you can't stop to let me get a sip. Instead I waited and waited and eventually said hey man you mind if I cut in. He said sure go ahead. Really I had to ask!?

I refuse to use starbucks lingo and their eyerolls tell me I am the customer they hate the most.
I try to never go there but recruiters love to meet me there for coffee.

Yesterday I literally said "I want a black coffee, grande or vent... Look just give me the big one"

She looks at me so condescending for a good 2 seconds with her eyes up... "Vente. Its called Vente"

Then asks "Do you want whip?"

Now what I wanted to say was:

"look B***h, I'd be getting this at 7-11 for $8 cheaper if it weren't for this recruiter needing to make sure I am pretty before putting me in front of his GD client! Also it is not "whip", it is "whipped cream" and NOBODY puts that S**T in coffee!!! People put it in shakes which is what you actually sell here; coffee flavored shakes, some cold and some hot!! This is not a coffee shop, it is an ice cream shop! I said "black" and I know you heard me say it because your eyes told me nobody ever just orders a plain old black coffee here so I know it stuck in your craw and you asking me if I want "whip" was a d**khead move on your part because we both know I said black and anyone old enough to have a job knows black coffee is just that, black coffee, roasted beans mixed with water!!! Now get me my black coffee and the only thing you should add to it is things that will make it blacker! Dip a sharpie in the m-effer if you want but I am not here for a milk shake! f*** you and f*** Seattle!"

What I actually said was: "no thank you"

Aside from the fact that their coffee is over-roasted (OK, it's burnt) and overpriced, these are the rest of the reasons I avoid Starbucks. I take my coffee straight up, and theirs just doesn't taste good, it tastes like it's been burned.

Guess they do that on purpose so that there is some coffee-like flavor left after adding the 800 calories of non-coffee stuff into it. I prefer coffee. There are even two gas stations less than a mile from home (one is even on the way to work and the airport) that sell "extra caffeine" for those really bad mornings. The Large is $1.50 after tax. Hear that, Starbucks? And IT TASTES GOOD!!

One more while we're at it. Who the heck puts mayo on a hamburger? A little bit goes well on a ham sandwich, but like the guy says on the A-1 commercial, hamburger isn't ground ham, it's ground steak. Stone ground Dijon mustard, ketchup or steak sauce, sure. But I've scraped off almost 2 tablespoons of mayo from a 1/4 pound hamburger, it was sliding out of the bun and I was only biting lettuce and bread.

Aside from the fact that their coffee is over-roasted (OK, it's burnt) and overpriced, these are the rest of the reasons I avoid Starbucks. I take my coffee straight up, and theirs just doesn't taste good, it tastes like it's been burned. [snip]

:yeahthat:

And all their coffee has it. Yuck!

John

One more while we're at it. Who the heck puts mayo on a hamburger? A little bit goes well on a ham sandwich, but like the guy says on the A-1 commercial, hamburger isn't ground ham, it's ground steak. Stone ground Dijon mustard, ketchup or steak sauce, sure. But I've scraped off almost 2 tablespoons of mayo from a 1/4 pound hamburger, it was sliding out of the bun and I was only biting lettuce and bread.

I love mayo. Especially on my burgers. Two tablespoons sounds about right on a 1/4 lb single.

Aside from the fact that their coffee is over-roasted (OK, it's burnt) and overpriced, these are the rest of the reasons I avoid Starbucks. I take my coffee straight up, and theirs just doesn't taste good, it tastes like it's been burned.

Guess they do that on purpose so that there is some coffee-like flavor left after adding the 800 calories of non-coffee stuff into it. I prefer coffee. There are even two gas stations less than a mile from home (one is even on the way to work and the airport) that sell "extra caffeine" for those really bad mornings. The Large is $1.50 after tax. Hear that, Starbucks? And IT TASTES GOOD!!

Agreed. Although, there is one chain that has coffee I hate even worse that Starbucks - Peets.

People in the middle of a conversation saying "you know what I mean" after every few sentences ( mainly the Brits do that )

Or the complete lack of the letter "u" in the American spelling of words.

People in the middle of a conversation saying "you know what I mean" after every few sentences ( mainly the Brits do that )

I count at least one "u" in your first sentence.....

Excuse me, while I show you to the douour.

That is how you spell it, right?

I also disgusted by the lack of the letter ñ in German spellings. :rolleyes2:

Anyone that boards an airplane and immediatly goes into the forward lav to drop a deuce. I mean seriously, you couldn't do that in the terminal?

Anyone that boards an airplane and immediatly goes into the forward lav to drop a deuce. I mean seriously, you couldn't do that in the terminal?

Well, yeah, but after that burger with the mayo, they started calling our flight and I didn't want to miss boarding. Sorry about that smell up in first class. A great burger always does that to me. That, and Milwaukee's Best. :wink2:

Only thing worse than this is when passengers start storming the gate and huddle around the desk even when their zone or priority isn't called.

Only thing worse than this is when passengers start storming the gate and huddle around the desk even when their zone or priority isn't called.

No, worse is when someone a row or two ahead keeps beefing all flight long, and those fumes keep flowing aft thru the cabin. Gag.

We have a generous multitude of words in our version of the English language that have "u" in them. We just decided long ago that "-our" is as unnecessary as "-mme" and "-ppe", got with the program and shortened up some spelling. But not as far as some wanted to go. Samuel Webster wanted most silent letters removed, leaving things like gost, thru, nee, etc. but he was overruled.

What's with you spelling "tire" with a y, calling the hood of your car a bonnet whilst calling the roof a hood, tennis shoes become trainers and sweaters are jumpers? The most annoying part is the warm beer . . .

I work in retail store. New corporate policy was posted. Be friendly and polite to every customer everyday!

What!? Everyday ugh.

Today's Pet Peeve: If I have to explain what "NO VACANCY" means ONE MORE TIME, I will lose all hope for humanity.

I actually took a young couple out to the road today, pointed up at our sign, pointed to the sign at the next hotel down the street, and explained that it saves them a lot of time and effort by simply looking for those "VACANCY" signs.

I blame this ignorance, in part, anyway, on the new chain hotels who have decided to omit the lit-up "No Vacancy" from their signage. What kind of a jerk-ass business owner makes people come in off the highway to get a room when none is available?

Answer: Chain hoteliers who suspected their employees of turning on the "NO" in an effort to get out of working. So, they screw their customers instead. Argh.

Today's Pet Peeve: If I have to explain what "NO VACANCY" means ONE MORE TIME, I will lose all hope for humanity.

I actually took a young couple out to the road today, pointed up at our sign, pointed to the sign at the next hotel down the street, and explained that it saves them a lot of time and effort by simply looking for those "VACANCY" signs.

I blame this ignorance, in part, anyway, on the new chain hotels who have decided to omit the lit-up "No Vacancy" from their signage. What kind of a jerk-ass business owner makes people come in off the highway to get a room when none is available?

Answer: Chain hoteliers who suspected their employees of turning on the "NO" in an effort to get out of working. So, they screw their customers instead. Argh.

So, do you have any rooms or not??

AIIIEEEEEEE! NO! :rofl:

(We've not taken to posting a sign on the door, too, since a 3-story neon sign seems to be insufficient.)

Are you sure? What if I pay you 50% more than your normal price?

Or if I am a cute girl and I smile nicely?

Everything is negotiable. Even a "no".

Last edited:
Are you sure? What if I pay you 50% more than your normal price?

Or if I am a cute girl and I smile nicely?

Everything is negotiable. Even a "no".

If we're talking about anything except available hotel rooms, perhaps -- but when we light the "NO VACANCY" sign, it's not because we still have available rooms.

We're crazy, not stupid. :goofy:

They are known as 'gate-lice' to the staff.

Jay,

We seek that info on our phones nowadays. Their phone battery must have been dead (or flat, in deference to the Brit...)

Paul

I have gotten lucky before where a motel had the 'no vacancy' sign out but still had a room. Usually something like 'the HBO dont work' or a late cancellation. I have also had luck with the clerk calling his cousin at another place nearby to block a room for me. So, 'no vacancy' doesn't deter me :wink2:

I've gone into Starbucks in almost every State and a few foreign countries. I always ask for a Medium Coffee. In France, I had to ask for a Medium American Coffee. I have never received any guff from them. Maybe they treat old straight guys differently, or just expect less from us.
I refuse to use starbucks lingo and their eyerolls tell me I am the customer they hate the most.
I try to never go there but recruiters love to meet me there for coffee.

Yesterday I literally said "I want a black coffee, grande or vent... Look just give me the big one"

She looks at me so condescending for a good 2 seconds with her eyes up... "Vente. Its called Vente"

Then asks "Do you want whip?"

Now what I wanted to say was:

"look B***h, I'd be getting this at 7-11 for $8 cheaper if it weren't for this recruiter needing to make sure I am pretty before putting me in front of his GD client! Also it is not "whip", it is "whipped cream" and NOBODY puts that S**T in coffee!!! People put it in shakes which is what you actually sell here; coffee flavored shakes, some cold and some hot!! This is not a coffee shop, it is an ice cream shop! I said "black" and I know you heard me say it because your eyes told me nobody ever just orders a plain old black coffee here so I know it stuck in your craw and you asking me if I want "whip" was a d**khead move on your part because we both know I said black and anyone old enough to have a job knows black coffee is just that, black coffee, roasted beans mixed with water!!! Now get me my black coffee and the only thing you should add to it is things that will make it blacker! Dip a sharpie in the m-effer if you want but I am not here for a milk shake! f*** you and f*** Seattle!"

What I actually said was: "no thank you"

Back