Pet Peeves

I have gotten lucky before where a motel had the 'no vacancy' sign out but still had a room. Usually something like 'the HBO dont work' or a late cancellation. I have also had luck with the clerk calling his cousin at another place nearby to block a room for me. So, 'no vacancy' doesn't deter me :wink2:
If I have a late cancellation, I flip the "NO" switch to "off". :)

It really irks me that all of the recent changes made by chain hotels have been made for their convenience, to the detriment of the guest experience.

These include:

- Omission of the "Vacancy" sign
- The accursed magnetic swipe key cards that never work. Argh.
- Continental breakfast in the lobby specifically set up so the food runs out at 9 AM. Don't sleep in!
- Flat sheets on the bottom of the bed, so they don't have to carry fitted sheets. Damned things always pull out.
- Single cup coffee makers. The Devil's work!

The list goes on and on. When we opened we systematically went through and fixed all of them.

It really irks me that all of the recent changes made by chain hotels have been made for their convenience, to the detriment of the guest experience.

These include:

- Continental breakfast in the lobby specifically set up so the food runs out at 9 AM. Don't sleep in!
- Flat sheets on the bottom of the bed, so they don't have to carry fitted sheets. Damned things always pull out.

The list goes on and on. When we opened we systematically went through and fixed all of them.
I hate those damn single cup coffee makers in hotels. There is just no way to make a good sufficiently strong cup of coffee. I always carry my own 4-cup coffee maker and my own coffee.

I hate those damn single cup coffee makers in hotels. There is just no way to make a good sufficiently strong cup of coffee. I always carry my own 4-cup coffee maker and my own coffee.
Me too!

We have 10- cup coffee makers -- and Wolfgang Puck coffee.

That brown water most hotels provide ain't "coffee".

Not every inn-keeper is perfect.

These include:

Except for a roadside motel, the number of patrons who walks in off the street is probably not big enough that signage is a major issue.

Most seem to use RFID readers these days. Can't remember the last time that I had a problem.

Right, that never happens to an independent.

Not sure what gymnastics you engage in on the hotel bed, I just sleep there.

And coffee in tea-bags.

One thing that irks me is the courtesy call. "Is everything going okay?" Most motels don't do this but occasionally you will get one maybe an hour or two after you check in.

Yes. Everything was fine. Up to the point where you called, because you REALLY interrupted something major. If something wasn't fine, I would have called YOU.

One thing that irks me is the courtesy call. "Is everything going okay?" Most motels don't do this but occasionally you will get one maybe an hour or two after you check in.

Yes. Everything was fine. Up to the point where you called, because you REALLY interrupted something major. If something wasn't fine, I would have called YOU.
lol! You sound JUST like my wife.

Mary goes ballistic when that happens. :)

Except for a roadside motel, the number of patrons who walks in off the street is probably not big enough that signage is a major issue.

In a tourist area like Mustang Island, walk-in business is HUGE, because people watch the weather closely, and tend not to want to book until they know the weather is going to be "beachy". This is especially true at this time of year, when we've been swinging from 50 to 75 degrees (and rain) with abrupt regularity.

Yesterday was gorgeous here, and I personally turned away over 2 dozen phone callers who were on the island and decided they wanted to spend the night. I have no idea how many Mary or our other desk staff turned away, but it was substantial. Our "No Vacancy" sign no doubt saved many of these hapless people the hassle of going inside, only to learn that the hotel was full.

As for looking for rooms on-line, most hotels shut off on-line booking long before they are sold out, so using your phone to find a room on a busy weekend will likely not work well. We usually turn it off when we hit 80% occupancy, just to avoid overbooking (and to avoid the usurious fees the on-line engines now charge.).

Most people in the hospitality business understand that part of the gig involves being hospitable.

Speaking of sheets, Jay, the only thing that bothers me about the flat sheet on the bottom is that the upper sheet is tucked in all the way around, too. So to get in the bed, I have to unstuck the top sheet,which then pulls out the bottom sheet! Duh! Is it supposed to work that way? Or am I just supposed to sleep on top of both tightly tucked in sheets?

I work in retail store. New corporate policy was posted. Be friendly and polite to every customer everyday!

What!? Everyday ugh.

This was the policy that convinced me it was time to retire from the airline.

Well, not exactly. That policy, combined with budget cuts on customer service staff, headcount cuts, and other changes that convinced me the service standards were only getting lip service.

Speaking of sheets, Jay, the only thing that bothers me about the flat sheet on the bottom is that the upper sheet is tucked in all the way around, too. So to get in the bed, I have to unstuck the top sheet,which then pulls out the bottom sheet! Duh! Is it supposed to work that way? Or am I just supposed to sleep on top of both tightly tucked in sheets?

I just carry a stapler with me.

Rich

That is so you can liberate the bed-bugs that live between box frame and mattress :)

I am at the Rennaissance O'Hare tonight. I swear, you could pick up the matress by the top sheet it was tucked in so tight.

There is one of those parked outside at the War Remenants Museum in Saigon which appears to have some sort of small missile pod mounted under the wing. But yes, those did see combat.

Saigon-War-Museum.jpg

Here we go...

1) People who think a 2.75" smoke rocket is a Hellfire, especially since the Hellfire wasn't invented until about 10 years after the Viet Nam war ended.

2) People who post giganatic images on POA.

3) Forums that let people post gigantic images.

4) 'any aircraft please advise' , 'with you'

5) People who think robot passenger plane are anything other than an idiotic idea.

6) Government employees who travel in a Gulfstream.

7) Fast food places that don't have caffeine free diet drinks

8) Any city or state that does not have a Whataburger

9) Anyone who moved to Austin Texas after 1969.

10) Any one from California or the UK who moved to Texas, ever.

Most people in the hospitality business understand that part of the gig involves being hospitable.
That's what's so aggravating about how the chains continue to make inhospitable changes for their (not their guests) convenience.

Although I suppose I should be grateful. Their mistreatment of the public has allowed us to stand out and prosper simply by extending what we consider to be basic hospitality. :)

That's exactly what I was referring to. A fitted bottom sheet won't pull off the mattress when you pull the top sheet back. A flat sheet will, leaving you looking at a mattress pad (or a bare mattress) and the mess you describe.

Many chains have eliminated the fitted bottom sheet because it's much easier and more economical to have one type of sheet. It's a cost cutting measure, and a worthy pet peeve.

'I am sorry, we are full tonight, but here take a card for next time'.
That's exactly what the hotels without a "Vacancy" sign do. They have coldly calculated that their potential guests' inconvenience (having to come in off the highway, even though they are sold out) is a marketing opportunity that is too valuable to miss. That is the opposite of hospitality, and is one of our biggest pet peeves.

I've spent thousands of dollars keeping finicky "Vacancy" signs working over the years (neon sucks in salt air) simply because I wouldn't dream of treating people that way.

My peeve is going into any big box store only to have the 18 year old kid look at me like a cow looking at a gate if I ask them anything ... :mad2:

I've spent thousands of dollars keeping finicky "Vacancy" signs working over the years (neon sucks in salt air) simply because I wouldn't dream of treating people that way.

Still doesn't excuse acting like a dick if someone comes in to ask despite the 'No' portion of the sign being lit.

1) People who think a 2.75" smoke rocket is a Hellfire, especially since the Hellfire wasn't invented until about 10 years after the Viet Nam war ended.

A rocket is a rocket.

Guilty.

Not guilty.

Not guilty, guilty.

5) People who think robot passenger plane are anything other than an idiotic idea.

Wrong person.

C130, C141, Blackhawk, yes. Gulfstream, no.

That peeve sounds a tad Californish.

I just checked out their menu. No lettuce wrap or side salad option. Not flying to the nearest one in Phoenix. I doubt I would eat there if I lived next door to it.

Wasn't Austin.

Wasn't my idea to move to Texas.

I just checked out their menu. No lettuce wrap or side salad option. Not flying to the nearest one in Phoenix. I doubt I would eat there if I lived next door to it.

I ate my first Whataburger in San Antonio back in about 2000 and I must admit that I was blown away. My reaction was "wow, a real freakin' burger at a fast food chain! Really!?!?!"

They're great...at least they were 15 years ago.

I ate my first Whataburger in San Antonio back in about 2000 and I must admit that I was blown away. My reaction was "wow, a real freakin' burger at a fast food chain! Really!?!?!"

I'm sure it's a perfectly great burger. I have dietary issues.

Still doesn't excuse acting like a dick if someone comes in to ask despite the 'No' portion of the sign being lit.
lol So it's better to let them drive around aimlessly, busting their butts pointlessly going into sold-out hotels looking for a room?

I considered showing them how to look for a "No Vacancy" sign an act of mercy.

...It really irks me that all of the recent changes made by chain hotels have been made for their convenience, to the detriment of the guest experience.

These include:

I have spent a little over 2 of the last 10 years in hotels (1 or 2 days at a time). As a traveler, I have to disagree with pretty much all of this.
The neon vacancy sign belongs in a Rt. 66 museum. I don't go anywhere without a reservation. Ever. Those signs are typically attached to by-the-week joints where one might find "persouns knouwn tou the poulice". A neon sign immediately removes your establishment from consideration. Even if I break down on the side of the road, the very first thing I do after calling AAA is make a reservation online. I refuse to call for reservations because I want our agreement in writing.

In all my travels, I've only managed to erase one key card, and that was after I subjected it to a magnetic particle inspection machine. I much prefer that if I lose my card, you can change the code to my door so that whoever finds that card doesn't come calling uninvited.

The only continental breakfast worth having is actually on the continent, in Bavaria. Otherwise I might grab a banana at or before 0700. The super waffle bar and its tiny, obnoxious, pajama-clad patrons should be gone by 0800 at the latest.

Can't stand fitted sheets. The first thing I do when I get to a room is untuck all the sheets, even the bottom. I need freedom. Before I leave, I strip the bed so the maid doesn't have to. Flat sheets are much faster to put on and can help your maid staff turn a room several minutes faster.

I carry my own K-cups with me. I get annoyed to find an archaic, filthy, drip coffee machine of any size in the room.

I will concede that the peculiarities of a novelty hotel in a tourist area may make these good business practices for you; nevertheless, if I were to end up in your place, I would find your conveniences inconvenient.

The last time I ate at our local island Whataburger I had the runs for two days. That was four years ago.

There are fantastic hamburgers here (I live within walking distance of 19 restaurants), at real, live, locally owned establishments, that absolutely blow WAB away, for about the same price. And, better yet, I can get a cold Shiner Bock to go with said burgers. :)

I have spent a little over 2 of the last 10 years in hotels (1 or 2 days at a time). As a traveler, I have to disagree with pretty much all of this.
The neon vacancy sign belongs in a Rt. 66 museum. I don't go anywhere without a reservation. Ever. Those signs are typically attached to by-the-week joints where one might find "persouns knouwn tou the poulice". A neon sign immediately removes your establishment from consideration. Even if I break down on the side of the road, the very first thing I do after calling AAA is make a reservation online. I refuse to call for reservations because I want our agreement in writing.

In all my travels, I've only managed to erase one key card, and that was after I subjected it to a magnetic particle inspection machine. I much prefer that if I lose my card, you can change the code to my door so that whoever finds that card doesn't come calling uninvited.

The only continental breakfast worth having is actually on the continent, in Bavaria. Otherwise I might grab a banana at or before 0700. The super waffle bar and its tiny, obnoxious, pajama-clad patrons should be gone by 0800 at the latest.

Can't stand fitted sheets. The first thing I do when I get to a room is untuck all the sheets, even the bottom. I need freedom. Before I leave, I strip the bed so the maid doesn't have to. Flat sheets are much faster to put on and can help your maid staff turn a room several minutes faster.

I carry my own K-cups with me. I get annoyed to find an archaic, filthy, drip coffee machine of any size in the room.

I will concede that the peculiarities of a novelty hotel in a tourist area may make these good business practices for you; nevertheless, if I were to end up in your place, I would find your conveniences inconvenient.

Self-absorbed much?

Rich

A rocket is a rocket.

Guilty.

Not guilty.

Not guilty, guilty.

Wrong person.

C130, C141, Blackhawk, yes. Gulfstream, no.

That peeve sounds a tad Californish.

Wasn't Austin.

Wasn't my idea to move to Texas.

People who feel guilty seeing a list of ten pet peeves, when they are really only guilty of two or three of them. ;)

I understand that we can't please everyone, but I hope you will understand if I am ecstatic that most people like what we have done, and realize that, IMHO, the things you mention as "advantages" are, in fact, major failings on the hotel's part.

Honestly, you have to bring your own coffee to the places you stay -- and you're okay with that? lol

When we bought our first hotel, we knew nothing except what we hated in most hotels when we traveled. We listed them (along with the things we like) and systematically addressed them, one by one, until they were all fixed. That was two hotels and 13 years ago.

In four years here we've doubled the business, and are now the top-rated Port Aransas hotel in Lonely Planet travel guide -- so thankfully it seems that most people like the same things we like in a hotel.
:)

Jay,
How's the weather there in mid June?
I understand that we can't please everyone, but I hope you will understand if I am ecstatic that most people like what we have done, and realize that, IMHO, the things you mention as "advantages" are, in fact, major failings on the hotel's part.

Honestly, you have to bring your own coffee to the places you stay -- and you're okay with that? lol

When we bought our first hotel, we knew nothing except what we hated in most hotels when we traveled. We listed them (along with the things we like) and systematically addressed them, one by one, until they were all fixed. That was two hotels and 13 years ago.

In four years here we've doubled the business, and are now the top-rated Port Aransas hotel in Lonely Planet travel guide -- so thankfully it seems that most people like the same things we like in a hotel.

Dear fellow airline passengers:
- The airline makes no secret out of the size of the overhead bins. Most rollaboards are designed to fit UNLESS you stuff them to max capacity.
- If your rollaboard is a solid 2in thicker than the overhead bin, no amount of yanking and pushing will get it to fit. You will only break the door and then we are all stuck because a mechanic has to come to remove it.
- The flight-attendants do this job every day. If they tell you 'bins on the left side don't fit a standard rollaboard', they mean it.
- We are ALL going to the same airport, you won't be there any faster by pushing into the boarding line in front of me.

Just a single data point. I love the idea of an aviation themed hotel, and obviously others do too. It takes stones to own a service business, glad it's working out. At this point I am super extra swanky platinum elite status for life, so I likely have some form of hotel Stockholm syndrome. And yes, I am very ok bringing my own coffee. I've even had another box FedExed to the next hotel on a particularly long stretch of stays without a trip home.

lol! You sound JUST like my wife.

Mary goes ballistic when that happens. :)

I had a Ritz Carlton call my room and wake me from what had been a wonderfully deep sleep during a post-beach afternoon nap in Aruba, to "inform" me and my wife that they skipped cleaning our room... "Because there is a DO NOT DISTURB sign on your door."

What the .....

I had a long animated conversation with the manager over that one!

There's this thing called "asking". You use it when you want something custom that's not on the menu. ;-)

Whataburger is MORE than happy to make it carb-free. Done it many times!

So has this person: http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/29f8fq/whataburger_the_best_bunless_option_ive_found_so/

Just a single data point. I love the idea of an aviation themed hotel, and obviously others do too. It takes stones to own a service business, glad it's working out. At this point I am super extra swanky platinum elite status for life, so I likely have some form of hotel Stockholm syndrome. And yes, I am very ok bringing my own coffee. I've even had another box FedExed to the next hotel on a particularly long stretch of stays without a trip home.

I understand. If I traveled that much, I would want my own...everything, just to try to survive.

We are quite the opposite of "swanky", although we do things that no "swanky" hotel will do without spending major money. First and foremost, we deliver your breakfast to your room every morning. We invented this little service 13 years ago, because we hate, hate, HATE the continental breakfast in the lobby, and it has turned out to be our most popular feature.

Eat breakfast in your room, or take it to the pool. Or take it out fishing. It's all good, and you get EXACTLY what you want, because you ordered it when you checked in.

We include WiFi. And free movies. Aviation movies, of course. Over 200 of them. ;)

So, fly down and see us. You will marvel at the utility of our NO VACANCY sign, even in the year 2015. :goofy:

Back