Part 61 instrument syllabus

Trcpilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Cjayfly1
Good morning,

I would like to reach out and see if anyone have a syllabus or a link for Part 61 instrument training syllabus. I know part 61 is 15 hours with a CFII And Part 141 is 35. I just wanted to see what is the difference with the curriculum and training lessons. Thank you!

The difference is that a Part 61 instrument rating requires 50 hours of XC time and 40 hours of instrument time in addition to the 15 of instrument training. Some of this time may overlap with the training but a lot is allowed to be done separately. The Part 141 training is a standalone package that includes everything.

There's no official syllabus. The regs show the following things that need to be covered:

(1) Preflight preparation;
(2) Preflight procedures;
(3) Air traffic control clearances and procedures;
(4) Flight by reference to instruments;
(5) Navigation systems;
(6) Instrument approach procedures;
(7) Emergency operations; and
(8) Postflight procedures.

Frankly, the best one I believe is out there was the one PIC did and is expounded upon in Peter Dogan's excellent book: Instrument Flight Training Manual.

Actually there is very little difference. The skills and aeronautical knowledge required is the same. Part 141 just reduces some of Part 61s experience requirements by increasing the instructional requirements.

There are many, many instrument syllabi available from flight training organization and vendors available free. They mostly are the same.

Back