Paint my plane

Which Color?

• Forest Green

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • Original Teal

Votes: 38 60.3%

• Total voters
Austin, I would start out by not painting it another year or two. You’ve had an expensive year with it and that will likely continue into year 2. Wait a bit longer.
Don't worry, I'm still bracing for annual a month from now. At a lot of the paint shops there's a year long wait list, so I'm just getting an idea of what I want. It likely won't be a year until I even put my name down.

Original scheme is non negotiable, but the color is up for debate.

Ohh another thought, skylights!!

EDC40-FB4-F414-496-F-8-DE6-5-D91-E682485-F.jpg

Don't worry, I'm still bracing for annual a month from now. At a lot of the paint shops there's a year long wait list, so I'm just getting an idea of what I want. It likely won't be a year until I even put my name down.

Original scheme is non negotiable, but the color is up for debate.

Good. I would stick with the original teal color in that case. Any mods that may be helpful for engine cooling are worth considering. @James331 ’s skylight recommendation is also appealing.

As good as skylights sound I've heard some rough things about how hot the plane will get if sitting out in the summer, even for a few hours.

As good as skylights sound I've heard some rough things about how hot the plane will get if sitting out in the summer, even for a few hours.

You do realize you live in Wisconsin, right? ;)

The solution to this problem is some covers for your windows. I use them in the MU2 and used them in the 310 and 414. The 414 was especially bad about heat soaking being pressurized. You can open your windows and cool off fast, even when it’s really hot. Don’t forget ice AC units which also help.

Pick something that goes well with blue seats...

Resurrecting this thread. I finally got around to it. I put down a deposit for paint, with a slot in February of 2022. Only 11 months to go! :eek:

Still undecided on color - but the paint shop designer will touch base with me 60-90 days before I bring it in.

Austin, I would start out by not painting it another year or two. You’ve had an expensive year with it and that will likely continue into year 2. Wait a bit longer.
Present me laughs at past me.

Someday you'll need to sell it. Go with a traditional, either blue or red. Not as many people will shine to the green.

What does your interior look like BTW?

fwiw I like that powder blue that sinistar did the photoshop on, seems to fit well with the plane

I guess I would be the exception.... but I'm not in the market for an airplane.
I like Kelly racing green myself. But in the market overall it just isn’t as popular which will effect selling price

I like Kelly racing green myself. But in the market overall it just isn’t as popular which will effect selling price
Oooh, British Racing Green with yellow highlights and black numbers against a white patch...

Looks classic on a car but I'm having a hard time picturing it on a plane.

a-colorful-history-of-national-racing-hues-british-racing-green-2-of-4-1477100211190-960x640.jpg

What color would SAR like you to paint it and what color would be easiest to see in the pattern? That's what I would choose.

Red is the most expensive, I’ve been told $1000/gal. Metallic is more. So if price is a consideration...

See post above. I’ve loved your paint color since I first saw it here (when you bought it). Beautiful vintage.

Stay with the original color. The plane is a classic.
Those that think the price of a Cessna 180 changes because of the color it's painted don't know what's going on in the market for 180s. You could paint it purple and yellow stripes with pink polka-dots and your airplane will still start a bidding war.

You’re talking about the market today. In 10 years when he wants to sell? Then again - airplanes aren’t about saving money.

Last edited:
You might want to think about changing the tail number as well. This is the time to do it.

Last edited:
You’re talking about the maker today. In 10 years when he wants to sell? Then again - airplanes aren’t about saving money.

Point taken - none of us can perfectly predict the future.

However, there's a well known adage that when it comes to Skywagons "the nicer they look the bigger the last wreck".**
In 10 years time there will be even fewer of them remaining as float flying, corrosion and accidents take their toll. Right now there's no other airplane I know of that is a close substitute for a Cessna 180 or 185. In fact Cessna 182s are being pressed into float conversions now that there's a diminshed pool of 180s available.

** @Mtns2Skies Austin, another good reason not to make your airplane "too perfect or too pretty" :D

I'd do 3 or 4, just because I love how vibrant they are. None of them look bad, though!

My experience has been that the colors displayed on a screen are sometimes noticeably different than real life. But based on what I see here, I would choose 3.

Just because I'm a purist, keep the rudder counterweight white, as on the original.

We just realized the horizontal and elevator were painted originally too. That must have been changed during the loop in a prior life. I'm split on the rudder counterbalance. if I changed one thing on the scheme that would be it. I prefer the whole rudder one color rather than trying to pretend it's a different shape.

I went back and read all of the posts again. I love reading posts to see what was asked/stated, and the responses. Don't be offended, I just copied and pasted!

OP: I could repaint it to original color, or go with the forest green
Responses:
Me? I'd go red.
Green would be my last choice
I think a different color would look better such as blue or red.
If I were to repaint my plane, I'd want to choose colors to make it more visible in the air.
I would start out by not painting it another year or two. You’ve had an expensive year with it and that will likely continue into year 2. Wait a bit longer.
Go with a traditional, either blue or red. Not as many people will shine to the green.
fwiw I like that powder blue that sinistar did the photoshop on, seems to fit well with the plane.

I like Kelly racing green myself
What color would SAR like you to paint it and what color would be easiest to see in the pattern? That's what I would choose.

OP: I'm going keep the same factory Skywagon design. The only choice is the color...
Responses:
Do something more exotic like Cirrus and Pilatus are doing.
If you are going to change the paint scheme to a "modernized" one, then the contrast of the dark Forest Green on white is in keeping with the more dramatic contrasting schemes favored today.
I'd change it. Figuring out how? That's the fun part. I liked the '74 scheme better than '75 so I started with that.

Now, for my opinion... #3!

I'm split on the rudder counterbalance. if I changed one thing on the scheme that would be it. I prefer the whole rudder one color rather than trying to pretend it's a different shape.
Each year from 1964 through 1970 Cessna had "trademark" vertical tail paint designs used throughout the line. For 1970 it was the solid-color rudder with straight leading edge up to the tip. Every single-engine model (except 210) had it that year, as did the 337.

cessna_172k_1970.jpg

cessna_tp206e.jpg

cessna_207_1970.jpg

cessna_337e.jpg

Choosing #4 and updating the horizontal to be painted color as well, FYI #4 is Venice blue metallic, not the original color the plane came in, but was a factory option that year. Wife and I are still torn on the rudder straight line vs. rudder one color.

Just some preliminary decisions here... but my plane needs paint... bad. It's original to 1970 except for the rudder and wingtips so ~49 year old paint.

I'm going keep the same factory Skywagon design. The only choice is the color... I could repaint it to original color, or go with the forest green that's on my wingtips and rudder. I'm torn... thoughts? Top picture is from my plane in the 80's.
View attachment 70378 View attachment 70379 View attachment 70380

ORIGINAL. Classic, classy, and really fits the style! Just IMHO, but original is always a treat to see on the ramp.

Back