Paint my plane

Which Color?

• Forest Green

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • Original Teal

Votes: 38 60.3%

• Total voters
Be Bold… I went for extreme visibility after I saw a beautiful Dodge Charger drive by one day this is what I ended up with. Just picked her up last week from the paint shop

Attachments

• F57576CD-BB94-49FD-B440-746C838B1C36.jpeg
    F57576CD-BB94-49FD-B440-746C838B1C36.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 0D9AF6F6-09C9-4970-8314-7B1A70610039.jpeg
    0D9AF6F6-09C9-4970-8314-7B1A70610039.jpeg
    233.8 KB · Views: 97
Be Bold… I went for extreme visibility after I saw a beautiful Dodge Charger drive by one day this is what I ended up with. Just picked her up last week from the paint shop
I like it, especially the black bottom to hide all the oil :)

Orange and is black is nice! If going green I would also want a black belly and silver instead of white. But both are way away from the original classic scheme I think the OP is going for.

I love greens, natives say eat them twice a year as an entire meal to clean out the system. I dont think there are enough green planes:) My '66 'Stang is Dark Ivy Green. I voted Forrest knowing there are as many variations of Forrest Green as there are British Racing Green or Bullit Green. Teal is too close to a pastel/light/weak color to me. In some lights it may come across as Baby Blue.
upload_2021-12-9_19-56-54.png
I suggest you peruse www.paintref.com to see all the shades of dark green available to be mixed. Consider some gold or red or both for accents/trim or numbers:cool::cool: (yes, double cool)

See if you can get the final tints to be matched to something you can find in a spray can of Krylon or Rustoleum. When you get the first bit of hangar rash you’ll thank me.

That's a nice looking airplane.... I'd go with the original teal. I wouldn't buy a teal sport coat, but on a 6 seat tailwheel aircraft, it looks sharp.

Beautiful! And, I spy Mena... hangars look familiar. What paint shop if I may ask? I know there are several at MEZ, some good, some "meh". Curious as to how yours turned out. I have a crappy 10 year old paint job on my RV-8, will need a strip/paint one of these days...

Beautiful! And, I spy Mena... hangars look familiar. What paint shop if I may ask? I know there are several at MEZ, some good, some "meh". Curious as to how yours turned out. I have a crappy 10 year old paint job on my RV-8, will need a strip/paint one of these days...
Yep Criders shop did it and did a very nice strip and paint.

Approx costs for that strip and paint? Looks like they do a great job!
Thanks we love the job they did. I also flew it all the way from San Diego Ca and back to get it done because Roger was the only bid that actually gave me a written quote that considered what I was asking for. All the other shops just sent me a standard pre printed price sheet that they probably send to anyone with a 182. I figured if he was the only one willing to take the time to write me a personalized quote he was more likely to live up to his word on cost and quality. I believe I chose well.
Cost was one factor his was middle of the road not the cheapest and not the most expensive by a long shot. He quoted $15.5k for a strip and paint for the 182 including the base and two trim colors with an additional $2.5k for the orange base. Lowest quote was about $1500 less and the most expensive was nearly double.
But a major consideration was scheduling, he was ready and willing to start the work within one month of agreeing to put my plane on the schedule and finish in 4 to 5 weeks if he was able to get all the paint he needed. He lived up to his end of the agreement and delivered on time and without additional cost runs. And no deposit before we delivered the aircraft.
One of the other shops was scheduling 6 months out with a 6 month turn around, deal breaker for me.
Another shop wasn’t scheduling for 12 months out, deal breaker for me.

His integrity and quality of work and a fun cross country made for a great experience for me. And we got a darn fine looking aircraft. I just couldn’t go with standard white and pretty sure we’re the easiest 182 to see in the sky so that’s just got to improve our safety margins.

Last edited:
If you are wanting to stick with green, I'd go with the forest green. However, I think a different color would look better such as blue or red.

Kinda like the suggestion for a little gold trim line to go along with the green. IMHO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How come nobody has suggested total paint removal and buffing it to a high luster, reflective, bare aluminum finish?

That is a sharp looking paint job, and the price appears to have been very reasonable. Good job!

A friend of mine had his 172 repainted. He kept the original scheme and basic colors but spiced it up a bit. It was orange and green, he went with a brighter orange and added a bit of metal flake to make the colors more modern. I really dig it, like a restomoded 172.

Thanks we love the job they did. I also flew it all the way from San Diego Ca and back to get it done because Roger was the only bid that actually gave me a written quote that considered what I was asking for. All the other shops just sent me a standard pre printed price sheet that they probably send to anyone with a 182. I figured if he was the only one willing to take the time to write me a personalized quote he was more likely to live up to his word on cost and quality. I believe I chose well.
Cost was one factor his was middle of the road not the cheapest and not the most expensive by a long shot. He quoted $15.5k for a strip and paint for the 182 including the base and two trim colors with an additional $2.5k for the orange base. Lowest quote was about $1500 less and the most expensive was nearly double.
But a major consideration was scheduling, he was ready and willing to start the work within one month of agreeing to put my plane on the schedule and finish in 4 to 5 weeks if he was able to get all the paint he needed. He lived up to his end of the agreement and delivered on time and without additional cost runs. And no deposit before we delivered the aircraft.
One of the other shops was scheduling 6 months out with a 6 month turn around, deal breaker for me.
Another shop wasn’t scheduling for 12 months out, deal breaker for me.

His integrity and quality of work and a fun cross country made for a great experience for me. And we got a darn fine looking aircraft. I just couldn’t go with standard white and pretty sure we’re the easiest 182 to see in the sky so that’s just got to improve our safety margins.
That’s about what I’d expect. I was thinking (hoping) $12k-$15k for a strip and paint. My paint isn’t bad but I need to get the cowl done due to IFR flights and rain hitting it at 190mph!

That’s about what I’d expect. I was thinking (hoping) $12k-$15k for a strip and paint. My paint isn’t bad but I need to get the cowl done due to IFR flights and rain hitting it at 190mph!

Cheapest: paint it all white, no stripes, no additional colors (default is 3 for most), no metallic paint.

Has anyone had their plane wrapped instead of having it painted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s how Cirrus sold planes for years. Plain white paint, vinyl stripes and numbers.

It helps simplify repairs. And the white color avoids heating the composite in the sun.

Eventually they broadened their factory offerings, but the fact that those new planes sold well for years shows that it’s not slumming it, to go with all-white paint plus vinyl.

Back