Our Flying Videos

Just a quick shot of blowing the boots to shed the ice from my first encounter of the '14/'15 winter season. Just gets me excited that my favorite weather is right around the corner. :goofy:

Cool. In addition to the leading edge of the wings, are there always boots on the struts too?

Latest adventure, a 3-day scenario based tactical formation training event in the desert south of Palm Springs.

'Gimp

Every spring a massive migration of Sandhill Cranes takes place along a stretch of the Platte River in central Nebraska. Along with the Sandhill Cranes a few endangered Whooping Cranes make the journey also. I along with a few other pilots and observers were hired to go find these Whooping Cranes. This video shows some of the breathtaking views seen along the Platte River.

To really see the birds you need to watch in HD.

Last edited:
In my post above the video is embedded on my desktop but on my iphone it looks like this. Did I do it wrong?

d1715a9c5c3b12539cc2eacc79aeea05.jpg

Chino KCNO Crosswind Landings

During some Santa Ana Winds practiced up on some crosswind landings. This is a 2010 PiperSport LSA. Enjoyed crabbing it in!

http://youtu.be/Au_eYTcPRW8

Last edited:
Re: Chino KCNO Crosswind Landings

During some Santa Ana Winds practiced up on some crosswind landings. This is a 2010 PiperSport LSA. Enjoyed crabbing it in!

I miss that plane. I had about 14 hrs in one during my PPL training. You did a nice job with those winds. If I remember correctly, the Max Demonstrated X-W was around 15?

My favorite thing about that plane was doing stalls. It was hard to get it to break. You could just hang there all day.

Such a cool plane... I bought it... Really enjoy the plane. It sucks its only a two seater but my wife and I really enjoy it. You are correct... Demonstrated is 15 but sure feels like (given the correct inputs) she can do more. I have a couple of great stall and short approach videos at www.youtube.com/skyhighreport I will try to post them as well.. Thank you for the comments.

Last edited:
Here's mine: A weekend of backcountry flying and ranch lodging in the Idaho Wilderness area. Best full screen / HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN5jHtbGD4Q

I must say...I REALLY enjoyed that!
Beautiful. However, I'm one of those weird people that actually enjoy watching non time-lapsed footage:lol:

Please post the flying parts in real time!!!
Thanks

Man, I'm exhausted just from watching that. 8.6 Gs for 50 secs! I would have been lights out at 6.

Good vid. Didn't realize the intakes varied with G. Thought it was just a speed thing.

Man, I'm exhausted just from watching that. 8.6 Gs for 50 secs! I would have been lights out at 6.

Good vid. Didn't realize the intakes varied with G. Thought it was just a speed thing.

Thanks. They don't really vary with G, it's with speed and intake pressure (which G has some effect on) but not specifically with G. The intakes main function is to slow down supersonic air to subsonic by the time it gets to the engine face. Sub-sonic they really just optimize air pressure.

I must say...I REALLY enjoyed that!
Beautiful. However, I'm one of those weird people that actually enjoy watching non time-lapsed footage:lol:

Please post the flying parts in real time!!!
Thanks

It'll take a couple days. It's literally 20gb and 4 hours of recording... of which there might be two hours f actual plane moving, but I'll send you the links once done. Warning... it's entirely uneditted.

Highlights from a Missing Man flight yesterday for Frank Sigona, founder of Sigtronics. Frank was a very impressive guy according to all who knew him, it was an honor to be a very small part of the celebration honoring his life.

'Gimp

It'll take a couple days. It's literally 20gb and 4 hours of recording... of which there might be two hours f actual plane moving, but I'll send you the links once done. Warning... it's entirely uneditted.

Thanks.
As a non-owner, I'm not at liberty to mount an external camera, so I've never captured any external footage. All of my videos are from inside the cockpit, it's just not the same.

One full pattern KJWN. Sunrise over Nashville at 3:00 mark

That was just amazing - thanks for posting!

That's exactly the kind of freedom and fun I want to get involved in once I move back to the Rockies.

I'm curious - Idaho seems to have a high density of backcountry airstrips. Is it the only state in the Rockies to have that many? If so, I wonder why? Do they have a state organization that promotes backcountry airplane travel, or maybe just a really good collection of plane owners who promote it, and take care of the airstrips?

I've never really given much thought to doing much traveling in Idaho. My Mind's always been focused on Colorado, and the greater Yellowstone area of Wyoming and Montana.

But Idaho looks like it's got some spectacular places to go, so it's going on my "list" :)

Without a doubt, Idaho is one of the few locations that has this level of backcountry flying in the lower 48. It simply doesn't exist elsewhere, especially at the wilderness level. Idaho was treated to a set of circumstances that made aviation a good accessible option for transportation and has flurished ever since. Our per capita pilot statistics reflect this.

I suggest you get a copy of two books:
1) Bound for the Backcountry by Richard Holmes. http://www.amazon.com/Bound-Backcountry-Richard-H-Holm/dp/0615681123
Call rediscovered books in boise to order (google it).
This is not a how-to book, but rather a history book. It provides the story behind how backcountry aviation came to be and why it is here still today. When you are done reading it not will you understand the history behind each airstrip, but you will understand why it still exists today in its current form. It will make our trip more meaningful as you understand the the history and public policies surrounding this outcome of backcountry aviation flourishing in Idaho - and its dismay in other similar locations (like Montana).

2) "Fly idaho". This is strictly a how-to bok, but it picks up where the airport facility directory drops off.

3) Idaho Aviation Associations website (google it).

These folks were established in he 80s to maintain and preserve backcountr aviation, amongst other advocacy groups. Additionally, the state aeronautics department plays an important role.

Without a doubt, Idaho does have the most backcountry landing strips in the lower 48.

Come out and say hi. Burgers and Breakfasts have been known to buy tours

Finally, we have to maintain and use them. If we don't, we lose them. We can't make any more. If you're not aware, in wilderness areas you can't even use a chainsaw to remove a tree fallen on a runway, and you can't use a lawnmower to remove grass.

Public Law 96-312
The Central Idaho Wilderness Act of 1980
Permitted land uses; continuation.
Aircraft landing.
SEC. 7. (a) Within the River of No Return
Wilderness and the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness
additions designated by this Act-
(1) the landing of aircraft, where this use has
become established prior to the date of enactment
of this Act shall be permitted to continue subject
to such restrictions as the Secretary deems
desirable: Provided, That the Secretary shall not
permanently close or render unserviceable any
aircraft landing strip in regular use on national
forest lands on the date of enactment of this Act
for reasons other than extreme danger to aircraft,
and in any case not without the express written
concurrence of the agency of the State of Idaho
charged with evaluating the safety of backcountry
airstrips.

That was just amazing - thanks for posting!

That's exactly the kind of freedom and fun I want to get involved in once I move back to the Rockies.

I'm curious - Idaho seems to have a high density of backcountry airstrips. Is it the only state in the Rockies to have that many? If so, I wonder why? Do they have a state organization that promotes backcountry airplane travel, or maybe just a really good collection of plane owners who promote it, and take care of the airstrips?

I've never really given much thought to doing much traveling in Idaho. My Mind's always been focused on Colorado, and the greater Yellowstone area of Wyoming and Montana.

But Idaho looks like it's got some spectacular places to go, so it's going on my "list" :)

Last edited:
Thanks. They don't really vary with G, it's with speed and intake pressure (which G has some effect on) but not specifically with G. The intakes main function is to slow down supersonic air to subsonic by the time it gets to the engine face. Sub-sonic they really just optimize air pressure.

Ridiculous that your jet will maintain 8.6 no problems for a minute. Gotta say part of me is glad the Rhino won't!

pj500 - Thanks so much for that info. Definitely going to check it out when I eventually get my license (and hopefully my own plane) in the next couple years.

That's something people in Idaho, and the aviation community, should be very proud of. If only backcountry flying were more prevalent in other states, too.

Thanks again!

Flights from a small airport in Kansas:

Quick clip. Flying delicate aircraft parts.:D

Attachments

• trim.138BCB19-2BDC-4490-BA8D-EF342195ADA1.MOV
    2.3 MB · Views: 147
Got an hour in the front pit of a friend's Yak-52 for a cockpit fam flight, put a couple highlights together. Pneumatic start and brakes aren't as different as I thought they would be. Need for left rudder, and how much is needed did take me by surprise and I drifted a lot on takeoff. In air handling was fantastic and first landing was pretty good - every time I fly these I understand more why they are so popular.

'Gimp

Got an hour in the front pit of a friend's Yak-52 for a cockpit fam flight, put a couple highlights together. Pneumatic start and brakes aren't as different as I thought they would be. Need for left rudder, and how much is needed did take me by surprise and I drifted a lot on takeoff. In air handling was fantastic and first landing was pretty good - every time I fly these I understand more why they are so popular.

'Gimp

That was great. What an airplane!!! Nice flying, thanks for sharing.:thumbsup:

'Gimp

Awesome video!!! That white and blue Archer in the run up area when you were taking off, 2226N, that is the plane I flew on my checkride! :)

-Brian

Back