Our Flying Videos

HighFlyingA380

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jim F.
I know we have threads with specific topics, such as Caught On Video for those 'exciting' moments, and there are lots of random threads for people's personal flying videos. I think it would be nice if we used one common thread for our personal videos, which hopefully won't also end up the the aforementioned thread...

I'll kick it off with one I just remade, but the flight was from a month ago:

Good stuff! Great little vid, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dead Stick Landing, over 8,000 views now. :eek:

http://youtu.be/_xZmsxEewik

I'm calling BS on this one. The engine quit and you didn't loose control. You should have gone into a nose dive and then you would have had to put your forearm behind the stick to pull out at the last minute as you crash onto a road / sand dune / whatever. Don't you ever watch movies?

OTOH
I defy anyone to make a video that is more boring than this one:

Here are a few videos I've made over the years. I am not a professional, so please don't judge me too hard. :)

Last edited:
what camera did you use?
GoPro Hero 3 Black. My FBO bought one for our use. I also just bought a Sony HDR-AS10 and a great RAM Mount, so I should start getting some great outside-the-aircraft views.

I know we have threads with specific topics, such as Caught On Video for those 'exciting' moments, and there are lots of random threads for people's personal flying videos. I think it would be nice if we used one common thread for our personal videos, which hopefully won't also end up the the aforementioned thread...

I'll kick it off with one I just remade, but the flight was from a month ago:

Really nice, Jim!

My grandfather was a pilot who flew out of an airstrip on his farm. Unfortunately, he died before I was able to become a pilot. About a year after learning to fly, I was able to do some flying at his runway and took the following video. Fun approaches!

I'm not sure if the embedding is working or not. Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAMroalyuPk
Yeah, no embedding with that. Here's what you do: [ YT ]ohtoifa5bNM[ /YT ] (the part in the middle there is just the video ID from Youtube; Also, take out the spaces in the brackets.)

GoPro Hero 3 Black. My FBO bought one for our use. I also just bought a Sony HDR-AS10 and a great RAM Mount, so I should start getting some great outside-the-aircraft views.

Cool what did you use to get rid of prop distortion?

Ya know, I was wondering about that too. I just used the standard Hero 3. I know it looks much better than with my old Hero 2, so perhaps the image sensor/firmware helps? I'm also thinking/wondering if the wide angle combined with the location helped... I dunno :dunno:...

Last edited:
I've always been reluctant to provide links to personal inflight video because of the intense critique that I see when other share video but maybe I'm thinking of the red board. Here is my youtube channel. I started capturing video as a student pilot to help me review and learn from my mistakes. I now have 160 hours in the logbook so yes, I'm still a newbie.

http://www.youtube.com/user/spionen007

I've always been reluctant to provide links to personal inflight video because of the intense critique that I see when other share video but maybe I'm thinking of the red board. Here is my youtube channel. I started capturing video as a student pilot to help me review and learn from my mistakes. I now have 160 hours in the logbook so yes, I'm still a newbie.

Good idea of posting your channel. As I have, and will soon grow, videos with other topis besides aviation, I'll post my playlist with videos of me flying: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL971KifTOMTyKWgfza6aY21Xqe5a8QMem

And I like the critique. Sure, some people on the interwebz and be just cruel for no reason, but I look at it as free CFI time when getting it from ya'll on my flying videos.

I don't mind some critique but you know how it can get sometimes.

Someone asked a question about prop distortion. It can be reduced by a ND (netural density) filter. They are available for the GoPro and were at one time available for the Contour. I have Contour/nflight cameras. Depending on the light, they can do a decent job of reducing (not eliminating) prop distortion.

Not the OP, but I *think* the prop was nicely blurred and not distorted by wavy prop lines because it wasn't super bright out. Because of the time of day, the shutter that is opened 24 times per second was held open a little bit longer than normal, each of those 24 times, to get the right exposure.

That's what a neutral density filter does. It reduces the light level so that the camera sees a darker scene and it keeps its repetitive shutter open a bit longer.

Not the OP, but I *think* the prop was nicely blurred and not distorted by wavy prop lines because it wasn't super bright out. Because of the time of day, the shutter that is opened 24 times per second was held open a little bit longer than normal, each of those 24 times, to get the right exposure.

That's what a neutral density filter does. It reduces the light level so that the camera sees a darker scene and it keeps its repetitive shutter open a bit longer.
I was thinkin' the light levels might have had something to do with it. And BTW, I was on 60fps.

Somewhat related; Is the GP's rolling shutter affected more by the prop distortion than with a normal straight shutter?

wow, 7.5 hour solo, that's impressive!

Or they sell this: https://nflightcam.com/store/index.php/gopro.html ... I have an older cam with the nflight aviation lens and it works great.

We just got a new BE76, and needed to to a test flight figure out what all needed work (ended up being a lot), and I figured I'd get my currency done. Sadly, that didn't happen... After the second circuit, I had a complete comm failure, so obviously ended the flight early. This video is a quick edit of the takeoffs and landings, and I was also using it to test the low-light performance of the GoPro and Sony.

I used 3 HD "Keychain" cameras to make this.. They run about $70 each.. We even did rolls and loops.. You can see them if you look close

What HD "Keychain" cameras did you use? Great Video!

I used 3 HD "Keychain" cameras to make this.. They run about $70 each.. We even did rolls and loops.. You can see them if you look close

There's a longer version you can find under my name too.

Last edited:
So, what do you guys use for editing software, keep the file sizes reasonable, etc? I have photoshop cs6 and it seems awfully slow in editing and saving video... Is there something any better for simple editing of video?

Windows free Movie Maker works OK. I personally use PowerDirector... very highly rated and Editor's choice. I know a few folks who just use the YouTube editor. Video editing is one of the few programs that can take full advantage of a nicely configured computer. And demands it. Lots of RAM, fast CPU, stand-alone video card, even a Solid State drive, or at least a fast traditional drive.
Here's a flight shortened to 3 minutes, using still shots every 2 seconds.

I made this one for this pilot using a few different types of cameras.. Keychain on the wings & rear horizontal stab, Flip ultra HD on cockpit, Tachyon xc under belly..

Last edited:
So, what do you guys use for editing software, keep the file sizes reasonable, etc? I have photoshop cs6 and it seems awfully slow in editing and saving video... Is there something any better for simple editing of video?
If I'm lazy I'll use VideoPad. It's pretty basic, but works better than GoPro Studio and other similars, IMO.: http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/

If I'm doing videos with more than a just few cuts, and need much more advanced features, then I use Lightworks NLE. It's an open-source editor that has been used for some Hollywood movies.: http://www.lwks.com/

Did a quick Mx test flight today to exercise my new HP endorsement and T182T checkout:

Great vid! That 182T gets up and goes!
Thanks! Yeah, I've been in love with it for the last week. Did another Mx test on it on Sunday (prop oil leak), and played around with the famous PoA "zoom climb"; Got it to 155kts staying 5-10ft. agl and at the end of the 5,000' runway pitched up and kept it pegged at 30 degrees until pattern altitude. It's now moved up to my #4 favorite plane (granted, I don't have a whole heck of a lot under my belt)...

Last edited:
Back