Our Flying Videos

Windows free Movie Maker works OK. I personally use PowerDirector... very highly rated and Editor's choice. I know a few folks who just use the YouTube editor. Video editing is one of the few programs that can take full advantage of a nicely configured computer. And demands it. Lots of RAM, fast CPU, stand-alone video card, even a Solid State drive, or at least a fast traditional drive.
Here's a flight shortened to 3 minutes, using still shots every 2 seconds.

wow that's great scenery! love the still shots too!

Here's a couple from me... I fly a Cherokee 235 out of KGTU.

Almost a Bird Strike...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoDqY687hqk

First time taking my oldest son up to fly a week after I got my PPL...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGiLZobmnt4

How do you embed the videos into the message vs just linking like I did? I can't figure out how to get them to preview like some of the other folks did?

you would type [ y t ] hoDqY687hqk [ / y t ] except without the spaces to get:

Did a quick Mx test flight today to exercise my new HP endorsement and T182T checkout:

Nicely done. The T182T is one of my favorite planes in my logbook. Flew it from Dallas to OSH, camped on field for the whole week, then to Missouri and Denver before going back to Dallas/Fort Worth. GREAT performance, easy to manage the systems.

Cool what did you use to get rid of prop distortion?

I've tried different locations for the camera and found that most of the prop distortion is caused by the reflection of the propeller blades in the windscreen. Changing the angle between the lense and the windscreen should help you to reduce it.

I haven't been very satisfied with off-the-shelf mounts because of their limited distance from the mounting surface. They force you to choose between good images of the instruments or of the outside. I'm thinking of building a custom bracket for the 172 that will allow capturing both relatively well; at least better.

Here's one I made a while back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAaDoiSgOyw&feature=c4-overview&list=UUUhLonCf8Q2X3VG64-Ey3fQ

Can't figure out how to imbed it.
watch

Forgot about this thread, definitely want to add my videos in here as well.

Here's a winter flying video I took a few weeks ago taking two friends of mine up for a pretty VFR day of winter flying.

Here's one recorded on 12/30/2013 at Raleigh Executive Airport (KTTA) in North Carolina. We did five landings, three without flaps, and one go around. I brought the wrong housing that day so I was unable to record audio.

Here's one recorded on 12/30/2013 at Raleigh Executive Airport (KTTA) in North Carolina. We did five landings, three without flaps, and one go around. I brought the wrong housing that day so I was unable to record audio.

Hey I know that place...although that view of RWY 3 on final is unfamiliar to me. :) My airplane glides like a wet sewer cover and has very limited forward visibility, so straight-ins don't work very well in my plane. This one was an overhead 360 I did to space traffic ahead of me in the pattern.

Forgot about this thread, definitely want to add my videos in here as well.

Here's a winter flying video I took a few weeks ago taking two friends of mine up for a pretty VFR day of winter flying.

Chloe rocked it!

This one was an overhead 360 I did to space traffic ahead of me in the pattern.

:eek: Where's that thread a few weeks back that talked about some people not doing more than 20 degree turns in the pattern, we need to show them this! Great short video, that's just nuts how you land but totally awesome!

Chloe rocked it!

Yeah she did! For having never been up into a small plane she acclimated fairly quickly to it. I was quite impressed.

It's always fun watching flying videos. Just got a go pro and I will be the last person to critique another's video.

Great short video, that's just nuts how you land but totally awesome!

Thanks but it's not nuts at all. A constant turning/slipping approach is very common among pilots flying these types of blind acro bipes. And it also keeps the runway in sight the whole time...which also comes in helpful when I call base to final and a 172 moseys out onto the runway for takeoff without looking for traffic that might be on final, thinking they have about 2 minutes before I'm a factor. I'll be on the numbers in about 20 seconds. :)

Thanks but it's not nuts at all. A constant turning/slipping approach is very common among pilots flying these types of blind acro bipes. And it also keeps the runway in sight the whole time...which also comes in helpful when I call base to final and a 172 moseys out onto the runway for takeoff without looking for traffic that might be on final, thinking they have about 2 minutes before I'm a factor. I'll be on the numbers in about 20 seconds. :)

Okay, it's nuts for someone who's only been in a biplane once. I agree it makes total sense and looks badass while doing it.

From yesterday's $100 hamburger run. Crazy wind gust and wind shear right before I touched down at KOXC.

Here is one from a night flight over Nashville, TN a couple days ago. Beautiful city!

Touch n go's at different speeds / flap settings. Nobody else was flying so tower let me choose pattern direction. Did some left, some right, raced a train at one point. I think I am still landing too fast. Not enough stall horn.

Touch n go's at different speeds / flap settings. Nobody else was flying so tower let me choose pattern direction. Did some left, some right, raced a train at one point. I think I am still landing too fast. Not enough stall horn.

52F I see.

Im flying out of there for the time being. Yeah, its a crummy runway

Here are two that I have put together following All Red Star XIII. Most amazing 96 hours of my life - got 5 sorties in for 6.1 hours (back seat as observer).

This is a Recommendation Ride for 2 guys seeking Wingman qualifications - be advised, soundtrack is NSFW or young kids

This is from their actual Wingman checkride - both passed.

'Gimp

Got to flew to Catalina Island in the right seat of my buddy's Mooney TLS with Bravo conversion.

how are you guys mountaing your go-pros in the cabin? I bought the nflight package with prop blur filter and suction mount and it wont suction to any of the windows

Something my kids did. The guitar is my son, the lyrics are by daughter and son-in-law, sorting through thousands of MST3K sound bites.

Last edited:
Another one I put together from the hours I took at the All Red Star XIII event in Porterville last month.

'Gimp

Dug this up...
Pre PPL. Was signed off to fly 30 mi to my CFI.
First time alone and seeing a "storm"
was beautiful but being a noob, I was nervous looking at it from the sky.

I don't have any flight videos yet but here is some that I have taken while on the ground.

Last edited:
Nicely done! What editing software package was used to make the final video??

Very Nice!

Thanks. I used the new Final Cut Pro X. So easy to use.

Wow! I knew Mooney's were fast, but I had no idea that they were that fast - looked like at least 500 knots during cruise! ;)

Haha!

how are you guys mountaing your go-pros in the cabin? I bought the nflight package with prop blur filter and suction mount and it wont suction to any of the windows

That suction mount is completely useless unless you have perfect flat glass. The flight school plane already has a Go Pro self adhesive mount on the ceiling between the seats so it was easy to just clip the go pro into the mount. Just make sure you set the camera to record upside down.

Back