Our 27th Consecutive Oshkosh -- Anyone else going?

We going to break it up in to 2 stops with 2 hour legs so it should not be too bad and hopefully we'll show up around 1 pm. I think the last leg is only about 1:30 so we'll have lots of fuel in case we need to divert or hold a bit.

Wow! 750+nm, in 3.5? What are you flying?

Luckily, you're in a fast plane, because Chris is almost right:

Sorry to disappoint, but pretty much from central Nebraska until you cross over into Wisconsin, there isn't much to see. Pretty much big flat squares of corn or soybeans. ;) :D

Actually, there's not much to see after you depart Denver eastbound! :frown2:

IMHO, it all depends on a person's view of what is interesting to "see." I, personally, don't get bored 'cause the land between Denver and Wisconsin is anything but flat for the most part. The patterns and various shades of green can be interesting to see along with some terrain changes that ARE there. You will see differences in landscape in Iowa compared to Kansas and you will see differences in landscape in Wisconsin compared to Kansas & Iowa. They may not be huge changes (depends on how one defines it) but they are there and can be interesting to see.

Close - 757 miles in about 6:15 though. Flying a DA40. Usually get TAS around 130-140. Hopefully we can find a nice tail wind to cut the time down.

IMHO, it all depends on a person's view of what is interesting to "see." I, personally, don't get bored 'cause the land between Denver and Wisconsin is anything but flat for the most part. The patterns and various shades of green can be interesting to see along with some terrain changes that ARE there. You will see differences in landscape in Iowa compared to Kansas and you will see differences in landscape in Wisconsin compared to Kansas & Iowa. They may not be huge changes (depends on how one defines it) but they are there and can be interesting to see.

Very true! But after spending 3 weeks flying around in the mountains last summer, that last day from Denver back to Wisconsin darn near put me to sleep! :sleep:

But there are a lot more places to land...:D

Very true! :yes:

I might bring a good book to read. So far I've only flown east from Denver to about mid-kansas and there is not much to see but it'll still be fun. Actually morbidly hoping for some flyable IFR on the way there but clear up in time for landing at OSH.

Very true! But after spending 3 weeks flying around in the mountains last summer, that last day from Denver back to Wisconsin darn near put me to sleep! :sleep:

Very true! :yes:

Funny you say that, Kent, 'cause awhile back when I was flying over the Rocky Mountains via airline flying into Denver from somewhere (can't remember where since I've flown so many places this year)...I was thinking, "Gee, after awhile of flying over the mountains, I could see how one mountain would started looking like the next and get boring"...lol :D:D It's all in the perspective, I suppose.

Thats cause you were too high. When I crossed the Rockies twice, I made sure there were pointy things above my wings. :D

Flying over the mountains of the East is pretty boring, they do start to look alike after awhile. Flying through the Rockies would be anything but, since there are rocks taller than the service ceiling of my aircraft.

We picked up a french press pot just for the trip. It won't be freshly ground :( but we'll do our best to make it palatable (and strong!)

I have a french press too... I was hoping for a perkalator... The problem I have with the perkilator is I never seem to wait long engouh or I wait too long and it's cold. I'll bring mine too it's small but has a thermal wrap to keep it warm while steeping.

I have a french press too... I was hoping for a perkalator... The problem I have with the perkilator is I never seem to wait long engouh or I wait too long and it's cold. I'll bring mine too it's small but has a thermal wrap to keep it warm while steeping.

For many years we made coffee each morning in the North 40. It was something of a tradition, making hot coffee on the stove.

Then, the last few years we've been parked near the approach end of Rwy 9 -- right through the fence (and across the road) from Hardees. Their coffee has proven to be surprisingly excellent -- and a heckuva lot easier to mess with in the morning!

We still use the stove each morning -- but only to make Mary's hot tea...

Thats cause you were too high. When I crossed the Rockies twice, I made sure there were pointy things above my wings. :D

I have to say I wasn't THAT close (lol) but we were only maybe 200 feet above them when I was thinking that.

I'll be there again. This year will be my 3rd time... and 3 in a row.

I'm flying up on Sunday the 26th, attending Monday thru Wednesday, flying home Thursday morning.

Oops! Correction: 2000 feet above them

When I did my mountain checkout we departed from Leadville (KLXV) elv 9927 and were hugging the mountain side < 100 feet away and caught the updraft and slid over the top of the ridge probably less than 200 ft above it. A lot closer than I even thought I'd be to a mountain side but it worked well. If you don't have the power to climb over you have to use natures resources to find more lift.

When I did my mountain checkout we departed from Leadville (KLXV) elv 9927 and were hugging the mountain side < 100 feet away and caught the updraft and slid over the top of the ridge probably less than 200 ft above it. A lot closer than I even thought I'd be to a mountain side but it worked well. If you don't have the power to climb over you have to use natures resources to find more lift.

Or fly somewhere sans cumologranite.

Planning to fly the Mooney in from CO, arriving Thursday the 30th, departing Saturday.

Planning to fly the Mooney in from CO, arriving Thursday the 30th, departing Saturday.

Are you and Leslie coming to dinner Thursday night? If so, let Tim know. I'll be there, it looks (although not sure if I'm showing up by Aztec or motorcycle).

Are you and Leslie coming to dinner Thursday night? If so, let Tim know. I'll be there, it looks (although not sure if I'm showing up by Aztec or motorcycle).

If you're coming by Motorcycle - and want a fun route - I'm taking the Miata to Allegheny County on Friday night and meeting an Angel flight partner for dinner, then driving to Mackinac City Michigan on Saturday, and then the following morning crossing the bridge and taking the northern circle around the lake down towards OSH. I'm avoiding the interstates and trying to take fun US highways and local roads instead.

If you're coming by Motorcycle - and want a fun route - I'm taking the Miata to Allegheny County on Friday night and meeting an Angel flight partner for dinner, then driving to Mackinac City Michigan on Saturday, and then the following morning crossing the bridge and taking the northern circle around the lake down towards OSH. I'm avoiding the interstates and trying to take fun US highways and local roads instead.

Unlikely - I'll probably go interestates the whole way and set the cruise control at full throttle. I also won't be heading out until Monday or Tuesday most likely. My new schedule involves me going to South Carolina for an ARF event the 24-26. Thanks, though, it would have been fun to caravan out there on pretty roads! :)

Unlikely - I'll probably go interestates the whole way and set the cruise control at full throttle. I also won't be heading out until Monday or Tuesday most likely. My new schedule involves me going to South Carolina for an ARF event the 24-26. Thanks, though, it would have been fun to caravan out there on pretty roads! :)

What happened to AzTruck Air, Inc?

What happened to AzTruck Air, Inc?

The other people who were going to come with me fizzled out for various reasons. So unless I can gather enough other people to come and split the gas money, I'll be taking VTX air. :)

Tim check with EdFred on this but I am pretty sure that route takes you less than one block yes you heard me less than one block from 6Y9er. If so you wold be required to stop and sign the pilots book in the pilot shack

Tim check with EdFred on this but I am pretty sure that route takes you less than one block yes you heard me less than one block from 6Y9er. If so you wold be required to stop and sign the pilots book in the pilot shack

Nope - US 2 to M-37 to US 41 right to OSH. 6Y9 is a fair way out of the way - But that doesn't mean that you couldn't justify it if you were in the mood for a detour. ;)

The other people who were going to come with me fizzled out for various reasons. So unless I can gather enough other people to come and split the gas money, I'll be taking VTX air. :)

Uhm, no... Azteck air decided to leave early and others opted to stay longer so azteck air was no longer an option... :nonod:

Anyone going through Chicago? My cousin is going to the 99s International Conference, and really wants to swing down that way for the main event- she's in town from CA, staying with me for the week, and has only a little bit of money left over to get there and back. She'd be much obliged if anyone had any suggestions (we've looked into Metra, bus, amtrak and rental car- will explore those further if all else fails) or assistance!

Anyone going through Chicago? My cousin is going to the 99s International Conference, and really wants to swing down that way for the main event...

An aside: My wife, Mary, is in the 99s, and was absolutely appalled that they chose CHICAGO for their International Conference! That was, quite possibly, the dumbest decision ever made by any aviation group, after what King Daley did to Meigs Field.

Why in the hell they chose the least GA-friendly city in the world is beyond anyone's guess. Mary just laughed when asked if she was going to attend. Her answer: A resounding "NO WAY".

We haven't returned to Chicago since he bulldozed Meigs in the middle of the night -- and we won't, until Daley is either dead, or voted out of office. It's not much in the way of protest, but it's all we can do -- and there are plenty of other places to spend our money.

I must have missed something. The UP seems a might out of the way on a trip betwixt Virginia and Wisconsin.

An aside: My wife, Mary, is in the 99s, and was absolutely appalled that they chose CHICAGO for their International Conference! That was, quite possibly, the dumbest decision ever made by any aviation group, after what King Daley did to Meigs Field.

Why in the hell they chose the least GA-friendly city in the world is beyond anyone's guess. Mary just laughed when asked if she was going to attend. Her answer: A resounding "NO WAY".

We haven't returned to Chicago since he bulldozed Meigs in the middle of the night -- and we won't, until Daley is either dead, or voted out of office. It's not much in the way of protest, but it's all we can do -- and there are plenty of other places to spend our money.
There were a number in the Chicago Chapter of the 99's who weren't too happy about the decision, either. I'm still trying to decide if we'll go down to the Chicago Air and Water Show in August.

I must have missed something. The UP seems a might out of the way on a trip betwixt Virginia and Wisconsin.
The object is to have a scenic off-the-interstate drive in my convertible, and I've never been to the UP. If taking highway 28 across is better I could do that.

Back