Our 27th Consecutive Oshkosh -- Anyone else going?

shane that seems awfully organized for a trip to oshkosh.

I agree whole-heartedly with Tony...isn't OSH suppose to be like a vacation?...meaning no schedules to adhere to like when one's busy working for a living?:skeptical::rolleyes::D

Talked to my father-in-law over the weekend. We'll be coming in Friday morning and staying through Sunday afternoon (the ending weekend of OSH). Camping in the North 40 of course. ;)

My wife and I will be there Fri - Sun 7/31-8/2. We are driving and staying at a hotel. It is our first time so we are planing on playing it by ear. Hopefully we can meet up with a few of you.

Cool. I will be there the beginning of the show, unless wx changes that. Where is N34? Finding someone otherwise is nearly impossible, lol

N34 will be parked at the International Pavilion. Stop by and say hello. Bring water and sun block.....pleeeeeez.....:mad3:

Leslie was just looking ino the possibility of renting an RV or camping trailer for the week. Too dang expensive! At least when you have the option of either tent camping or staying with relatives.

I agree whole-heartedly with Tony...isn't OSH suppose to be like a vacation?...meaning no schedules to adhere to like when one's busy working for a living?:skeptical::rolleyes::D

You beter have one thing on your schedule for Oshkosh... and that's standing next to me in the WomenVenture picture (so maybe this year I can pick myself out of the sea of pink). Should the PoA Ladies meet somewhere beforehand so we all stand together (more in the front this year)

Missa

You beter have one thing on your schedule for Oshkosh... and that's standing next to me in the WomenVenture picture (so maybe this year I can pick myself out of the sea of pink). Should the PoA Ladies meet somewhere beforehand so we all stand together (more in the front this year)

Missa
Good idea! And all the PoAers who do the various public benefit flying (LifeLine, Angel Flight, Animal Rescue, etc.) should meet for the Fly4Life photo, too!

Same reason I'll never set foot in a strip club. No sense in going somewhere to look at a bunch of stuff I"ll never go home with.

Bah - Lots more to do at OSH than that! It's a good place to get sweet deals on new stuff for YOUR plane, and show your plane off to others, and hang around airplanes, and watch airshows, and... There's something there for everyone, even you. :yes:

I can see Ed's point. I find it interesting enough, but if it weren't for the work-related activities I have going on and the fact that I get to see friends, I wouldn't bother going. Wings, 6Y9, and Gaston's are more fun. You all are the best reason for me to go to a fly-in.

I don't need a class when I'm at Oshkosh:no:, we walk so much it IS an aerobics class plus some...just plan on walking clear to the other side of the airport from Pioneer and almost to the seaplanes every other day (like we've done before), THAT is an aerobic workout...and more fun than watching the person in front of you try to exercise.:yesnod:

Mary and I once estimated that we walk approximately 40 MILES at every Oshkosh AirVenture. IMHO, if you think you need to attend an aerobics "class" while at Oshkosh, you're probably not seeing the show.

Mary and I once estimated that we walk approximately 40 MILES at every Oshkosh AirVenture. IMHO, if you think you need to attend an aerobics "class" while at Oshkosh, you're probably not seeing the show.

Hmm.. My wife (a Weight Watchers meeting leader) has a few pedometers laying around. Maybe I'll snag one for the trip this year. Of course, the numbers will be a bit skewed because my steps are a bit larger than most people's. ;)

I don't need a class when I'm at Oshkosh:no:, we walk so much it IS an aerobics class plus some...just plan on walking clear to the other side of the airport from Pioneer and almost to the seaplanes every other day (like we've done before), THAT is an aerobic workout...and more fun than watching the person in front of you try to exercise.:yesnod:

in the past i've only been there for about 2 days and by the end ive got blisters on my feet. last year i walked from the North 40 up by the Hilton to the SW corner of Scholler for a beer. Thankfully I got a ride back up to Warbird camping. If I stayed there for the whole week I would probably need a Rascal by Friday.

Not really. Being surrounded by thousands of people isn't my idea of fun.

This is the part that newbies to OSH don't seem to understand. Oshkosh is so large, so long, and so comprehensive, that it can literally be "all things to all people".

Don't like crowds? Me, neither. I've seen guys fly into OSH and NEVER LEAVE THE NORTH 40 CAMPGROUND. They literally pitch a tent and watch airplanes -- thousands and thousands of them -- from their lawn chair, miles from the crowds. Why not?

Personally, I enjoy the airplanes and exhibition hangars enough to suffer through the "penguin walk" in the crowds. I also enjoy the solitude of waking up next to my plane at sunrise, climbing up on the wing, and gazing at row upon row of airplanes -- 10,000 of them -- stretching to the horizon, each with a tent next to it...

I also enjoy the silence of the Seaplane base. I've spent many hours snoozing in the shade, listening to Lake Winnebago lapping on the shoreline, awakened only occasionally by the sound of a floatplane arriving...

And, of course, nothing -- NOTHING -- wakes you up more efffectively than a B-25 taking off, flying over your tent at 50' AGL. Alarm clocks aren't needed at Airventure!

After 27 years, I still get excited about attending OSH. In fact, I can't wait!

Oshkosh isn't heaven -- but it's close.

This is the part that newbies to OSH don't seem to understand. Oshkosh is so large, so long, and so comprehensive, that it can literally be "all things to all people".

Don't like crowds? Me, neither. I've seen guys fly into OSH and NEVER LEAVE THE NORTH 40 CAMPGROUND. They literally pitch a tent and watch airplanes -- thousands and thousands of them -- from their lawn chair, miles from the crowds. Why not?

Personally, I enjoy the airplanes and exhibition hangars enough to suffer through the "penguin walk" in the crowds. I also enjoy the solitude of waking up next to my plane at sunrise, climbing up on the wing, and gazing at row upon row of airplanes -- 10,000 of them -- stretching to the horizon, each with a tent next to it...

I also enjoy the silence of the Seaplane base. I've spent many hours snoozing in the shade, listening to Lake Winnebago lapping on the shoreline, awakened only occasionally by the sound of a floatplane arriving...

And, of course, nothing -- NOTHING -- wakes you up more efffectively than a B-25 taking off, flying over your tent at 50' AGL. Alarm clocks aren't needed at Airventure!

Amen!

And don't forget the plane building seminars, and the safety seminars, and the general seminars, and the PodAPalooza (is that happening again this year?), and the Museum, and the helicopter and Tri-Motor rides, and the ultra-light area, and...

Great Points Jay.

I was laughing at comments on "my schedule" and Beth looks at me like I've grown a 3rd butt cheek and says "there is no way we're working off an itenerary" whilst tapping her foot. Ok Ok, the schedule goes BUT I do want to make it over to the seaplane base this year as I've heard it's way cool!

Last edited:
Fixed that for ya...
Trapper John

Thanks for the heads up!

Ugh. Sorry, I get up early every day of the week. If I am not going into work, I do NOT want to be awakened any sooner than my body says it's time to get up.

Same reason I'll never set foot in a strip club. No sense in going somewhere to look at a bunch of stuff I"ll never go home with.

Never know, you might have a better chance at the strip club :rofl:

in the past i've only been there for about 2 days and by the end ive got blisters on my feet.

After 27 years Mary and I have learned to take TWO pair of good walking shoes/sandals to OSH, and alternate days with them.

I will wear my walking sandals (and gobs of sunscreen) Sun/Tue/Thu/Sat, and good tennis/walking shoes the other days. This puts pressure on different parts of your feet, and lets them heal on the "in-between" days.

OSH is no different than hiking the Appalachian Trail, or Estes Park. If you want to see the show you WILL walk 40+ miles in a week, and you need to be prepared for that reality.

Ugh. Sorry, I get up early every day of the week. If I am not going into work, I do NOT want to be awakened any sooner than my body says it's time to get up.

It's funny -- no matter how tired I am, no matter how hung-over I am, when that first round engine goes over at OSH, I wake up giggling.

In January, I start dreaming about OSH. By July, I want to be there, right friggin' NOW. If I ever retire, I will be one of the volunteers that goes to OSH in June, and leaves in August.

OSH is the one thing in my life that has been completely, 100% consistent. Through births, deaths, weddings, jobs, businesses, and illness, I have been there, year in and year out, with my family. My children have grown up there, and I intend to grow old there. When I die, I want my ashes sprinkled over the North 40. It's the one place on earth that I have been happiest.

Every pilot needs to fly into OSH at least once. OSH is a rite of passage, a sense of belonging that every pilot deserves.

It's funny -- no matter how tired I am, no matter how hung-over I am, when that first round engine goes over at OSH, I wake up giggling.

In January, I start dreaming about OSH. By July, I want to be there, right friggin' NOW. If I ever retire, I will be one of the volunteers that goes to OSH in June, and leaves in August.

OSH is the one thing in my life that has been completely, 100% consistent. Through births, deaths, weddings, jobs, businesses, and illness, I have been there, year in and year out, with my family. My children have grown up there, and I intend to grow old there. When I die, I want my ashes sprinkled over the North 40. It's the one place on earth that I have been happiest.

Every pilot needs to fly into OSH at least once. OSH is a rite of passage, a sense of belonging that every pilot deserves.

Jay.. If you keep writing stuff like you have in this thread, it is going to make for a VERY long 3 weeks for me. ;)

But I like the torture.. :D

Hmm.. My wife (a Weight Watchers meeting leader) has a few pedometers laying around. Maybe I'll snag one for the trip this year. Of course, the numbers will be a bit skewed because my steps are a bit larger than most people's. ;)

Chris, if you're in the exhibition hangars, your steps will be measured in inches, no matter how long your legs are!

:smile:

That's the one part of OSH I seriously don't like, cuz that sort of walking always hurts my lower back. But I've saved serious money over the years, buying airplane goodies on sale at OSH, so it's been worth it.

I like crowds...

OF AIRPLANES!

I can sit in my chair at Oshkosh and watch every kind of aircraft there is take off or land. There is just nothing like it. The first time I went I knew absolutely no one and it didn't matter one whit. I'll take throngs of aircraft over social gatherings any day. The latter I can have any time, but the former, only Oshkosh.

Chris, if you're in the exhibition hangars, your steps will be measured in inches, no matter how long your legs are!

:smile:

That's the one part of OSH I seriously don't like, cuz that sort of walking always hurts my lower back. But I've saved serious money over the years, buying airplane goodies on sale at OSH, so it's been worth it.

I've gotten to the point that I usually hit the exhibition hangars during the airshow (unless there is something 'different' at the airshow). I can usually make a casual 'browsing' route through all four exhibition hangars and still make it out in time for the warbirds airshow (which NEVER gets old).

And, of course, nothing -- NOTHING -- wakes you up more efffectively than a B-25 taking off, flying over your tent at 50' AGL.

I dunno, I think the Tri-motor works better - 3 wooden props at 3,000 RPM! WAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.... :D

Alarm clocks aren't needed at Airventure!

And that's a GREAT thing! :yes:

Yep, it's right around the corner in Green Bay! ;)

the PodAPalooza (is that happening again this year?)

Yup! Friday night, Honda forums plaza #4, 6:15 to 7:30 and live on EAA Radio. :yes:

The first time I went I knew absolutely no one and it didn't matter one whit. I'll take throngs of aircraft over social gatherings any day. The latter I can have any time, but the former, only Oshkosh.

With the exception of 2 years, I've gone every year since I got my driver's license by myself. Before I had my DL, I would BEG anyone to take me. I go by myself because I would rather sit and enjoy airplanes than listen to the person who I dragged with me complain about how her feet hurt and it's too hot and there's no shade and when are we leaving and it's kinda dusty and there's a lot of old guys here. :smile:

I did decide to take my boyfriend last year... he didn't complain much. :rolleyes:

I did decide to take my boyfriend last year... he didn't complain much. :rolleyes:

Just tell him "You gotta problem with airplanes, you gotta problem with me." And of course, remind him the ratio of male pilots to female pilots. ;)

Just tell him "You gotta problem with airplanes, you gotta problem with me." And of course, remind him the ratio of male pilots to female pilots. ;)

Ha ha ha! He actually thinks it's pretty cool that I fly. But he knows I don't want to date a pilot. My ex is an A&P and a post-solo student pilot. He soloed, then never flew again. There was way too much competition there, so I don't want to deal with it again.

Ha ha ha! He actually thinks it's pretty cool that I fly. But he knows I don't want to date a pilot. My ex is an A&P and a post-solo student pilot. He soloed, then never flew again. There was way too much competition there, so I don't want to deal with it again.

Ding Ding Ding!

Same here. Bad enough when you are told you don't drive correctly. Like I'm going to put up with it in the plane!

Sounds to me like you were dating the wrong guy, pilot or not. ;)

Yanno - this talk of camping has me altering my plans - and now I think I'd like to camp at OSH for the last three days instead of hoteling it.

What's the deal with camping by your car at Scholler? I've only camped in the North 40 before. I'm camping out in Waupaca earlier in the week so I'll have tent and such.

Edit: Maybe I can find Ted and Missa

Yanno - this talk of camping has me altering my plans - and now I think I'd like to camp at OSH for the last three days instead of hoteling it.

What's the deal with camping by your car at Scholler? I've only camped in the North 40 before. I'm camping out in Waupaca earlier in the week so I'll have tent and such.

Edit: Maybe I can find Ted and Missa

Tim, right now we were planning on parking in Vintage and camping with the plane there. However if you wanted to camp at Sholler with us, we might change our plans... especially since we were thinking of heading that way anyway, depending on how things go.

Well, I'm going to plan on Scholler for Thursday-Saturday nights. I just cancelled my hotel, so I'm committed now. We'll hook up.

Is there a way to set up tents in a group, either in Camp Scholler or the North 40? It would be neat if we were at least in the same general area. (Yeah, we're leaning towards camping, with the relatives as a backup.)

Back