Our 27th Consecutive Oshkosh -- Anyone else going?

The object is to have a scenic off-the-interstate drive in my convertible, and I've never been to the UP. If taking highway 28 across is better I could do that.

123 to 28 moves a lot better, more places to pass, but the extra distance will probably end up taking as long or longer. Not much for scenery once you've seen the first few miles of jack pine / swamp. The stretch between Seeney and Shingleton is 25 miles of laser (and I do mean laser) straight / flat road with nothing on either side except swamp... Then the roads to get back south (94 to 67 to 41) are just extra miles to drive.

Middle of the UP scenery:
attachment.php

US-2 is slow because of the travel trailer / motor home traffic enjoying the scenery and very few places to pass.

I would end up taking US-2 and do a lot of yelling at the guy at the front of the line...

Attachments

• 13 UP_Forrest1Small.JPG
    13 UP_Forrest1Small.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 149
Ok - good.

Personally I don't have the patience for US-2.

It beats the hell out of Chicago! And I've really never had any problem on US 2 up there. It's a very nice drive, of exactly the sort that it sounds like Tim is looking for.

Any recommendations for an alternate route around the UP?

Take US 2. You'll enjoy it. I just hope you can close the top on your car before you slow down too much - Lotta mosquitos up there!

The best way to go is to take US 2 to M-35 to US 41. M-35 cuts a corner and keeps you on the shoreline. You'll go right past a couple airports going through there - ISQ and ESC.

Susan and I want to thank Jay and Mary for hosting a very nice pooside barbecue. Corn in IOWA in July. Mmmmm!

We won't get to OSH unless it's on August 1......flyg safe and give detailed reports, please!

US 2 has plenty of passing lanes now. They have put them in over the past few years. Besides, 28 is a whole lot of worthless "scenery." Iowa has corn, M-28 has trees.

God willin' and the crik don't rise, this month will mark our 27th year at Oshkosh. We're planning on flying in on Sunday, July 26th, and spending the week.

All you refugees from rec.aviation know that we always throw a party on Wednesday night during OSH. We WILL have our annual Wednesday night party in the North 40, so plan on migrating out to our plane after the air show, if you'd care to join us. As always, admission is a 6-pack of good beer from your home state. Extra points are awarded for micro-brew status. If you can't see through it, better yet! (Anyone bringing beer with the name "Light" or "Lite" in it will be summarily sent to the Charcoal Pit, where you will be forced to listen to karaoke for the evening... :)

We'll have food of some sort, snacks, and plenty of hangar flying. If you get there right after the air show, you can enjoy the REAL airshow with us -- arrivals and departures. From 6 to 8 PM you will see some wonderful "stupid pilot tricks" as well as some excellent flying. It's great fun, and I hope you can join us.

We just got back from the annual Cherokee Pilots Association fly-in down in Missouri. In past years there have been well over 100 planes in attendance -- this year, just 35 showed up. I'm hoping that this means that everyone is pinching their nickels and dimes so that they can attend the Big One in Oshkosh!

So who's coming?

I am glad for you for making it all those years. I just wonder how many you would attend if you had to fly 1135.8 NM to get to Iowa City? That seems to slow me up. I don't mean that to make you look bad only trying to justify my not being there to share a beer with all of my fellow pilots.:frown3: Bob

The object is to have a scenic off-the-interstate drive in my convertible, and I've never been to the UP. If taking highway 28 across is better I could do that.

I drove the U.P. doing the Lake Michigan Tour in my convertible in the other direction after Oshkosh. There's nothing there. At least going east you get to drive where the lake is just a few feet away in places.

US-2 is the better choice for scenery, and as I think has been pointed out, there are enough passing lanes that traffic isn't as big a deal anymore. Either way enjoy the trip!
-Jon

Jay and Mary are camped in the north west corner of the N40 near the "hole in the fence" just west of Friar Tuck's. Get off the bus at the bus stop near the approach end of Rwy 9 and walk north west. You can't miss them.

I know they exist... Margie made sure of it! just not on my camera. I'll try twisting some arms when I head back over there this weekend with Montblack... and since he knows where he put "The Weir Chairs", we'll wrangle them into the hands of some regulars with room for them.

Crowd was large, beer was cold, food was good. Hope you can make it next year.

Back