Old Jet engines

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
With all the older fuel guzzling jets sitting ready for scrap just how much are the engines worth now. I remember the JT-8 was engine on the DC-9 and a lot of other jets, not too many still flying. How about all the small jets that were scraped due to the cost of the hush kits and not RVSM capable. With high bypass engines now their use is what? How much could they be worth to people still flying the old planes with so many from planes taken out of service for scrap. Where are all the engines going and what are they worth, how much could you get a running JT-8 for a jet dragster or jet boat.

I’ve seen some old Gulfstream’s on Controller for what seems to be a bargain. Some $500k and under.

If you have one you need to get rid of, I need a new power plant for my lawn mower.....

Or ask Ted, he might fit it in his Cobra.

If you have one you need to get rid of, I need a new power plant for my lawn mower.....

Or ask Ted, he might fit it in his Cobra.
That's what I need a Jet powered lawn mower.o_O

Where are all the engines going and what are they worth,
They all went/go overseas where those "old fuel guzzling jets" are still flying. I believe a 727-100 flying cargo wrecked a year ago in Colombia.

Back when I kicked the tires on a Saberliner 40 the boss was buying JT12s "by the dozen" off parked JetStars. We were swapping engines every few months for a spell. But then again you could drop an engine in 20 minutes. The final two engines had enough time remaining to go several years but the head honcho passed away shortly thereafter and the plane was traded in for a 65.

Last edited:
They all went/go overseas where those "old fuel guzzling jets" are still flying. I believe a 727-100 flying cargo wrecked a year ago in Colombia.

Back when I kicked the tires on a Saberliner 40 the boss was buying JT12s "by the dozen" off parked JetStars. We were swapping engines every few months for a spell. But then again you could drop an engine 20 minutes. The final two engines had enough time remaining to go several years but the head honcho passed away shortly thereafter and the plane was traded in for a 65.

Please, PLEASE- tell more stories. Many more!

The jet engines don't stay with an airframe they often do with GA airplanes.

An airframe goes through many different engines in its life. When an engine change is needed, the old engine is removed and a new (newly overhauled) one is installed. The old engine is overhauled, as required, based on what drove the engine change.

When the airframes are parked the engines, and many other still serviceable parts, are removed, overhauled, and installed in other airframes.

With all the older fuel guzzling jets sitting ready for scrap just how much are the engines worth now. I remember the JT-8 was engine on the DC-9 and a lot of other jets, not too many still flying. How about all the small jets that were scraped due to the cost of the hush kits and not RVSM capable. With high bypass engines now their use is what? How much could they be worth to people still flying the old planes with so many from planes taken out of service for scrap. Where are all the engines going and what are they worth, how much could you get a running JT-8 for a jet dragster or jet boat.

What makes an engine not RVSM capable?

Here ya go..!!!

Anything will fit in anything.

LOL! It appears fuel consumption might be a problem, you can see ice forming on the propane tanks. I think they had to use two tanks to keep the fuel flow going as the pressure dropped.

What makes an engine not RVSM capable?

Engines don’t matter for RVSM, but the operators don’t want to sink in the money for both hush kits and the avionics needed for RVSM. It’s a fatal one-two punch for the older jets.

Engines don’t matter for RVSM, but the operators don’t want to sink in the money for both hush kits and the avionics needed for RVSM. It’s a fatal one-two punch for the older jets.

Previous RVSM requirements have been obsoleted. Since January 22, 2019, operators can immediately begin operations above FL28 when the aircraft is fitted with ADS-B Out.

Previous RVSM requirements have been obsoleted. Since January 22, 2019, operators can immediately begin operations above FL28 when the aircraft is fitted with ADS-B Out.

Just adding ADS-B does not allow the operator to just start using RVSM airspace. Basically an ADS-B and RVSM equipped airplane no longer needs an LOA to operate in US RVSM airspace.

edit: The pilots also still need training.

Last edited:
From the July/Aug 2019 FAA Briefing. https://www.faa.gov/news/safety_briefing/2019/media/JulAug2019.pdf

"The Use of ADS-B Out in Support of RVSM Operations Last December, the FAA amended Appendix G of part 91, Operations in Reduced Vertical Separation Minimum (RVSM) Airspace, making authorization for operations in RVSM airspace less complicated. However, the change is not just equipage, but rather about how the FAA monitors altitude-keeping performance. To conduct RVSM operations, an operator’s aircraft must not only be properly equipped, but must also meet specific RVSM Altimetry System Error (ASE) performance standards. ADS-B Out equipage alone, as required by Appendix G, section 9, allows for enhanced monitoring of ASE, but does not assure ASE containment. To assure safe operations, the operator must determine the RVSM airworthiness of the aircraft prior to conducting RVSM operations under the new Appendix G provisions. The FAA is observing that some operators are considering operation under the new rule with aircraft not previously certified for RVSM operations, or aircraft with certified designs that have not been maintained to RVSM standards. For more information, go to bit.ly/rvsm-docs."

Back