Not returning calls

Frogs97

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Frogs97
I'm getting closer to having my first airplane and I'm hoping to have everything wrapped up and here by mid-Jan. I've been calling around to mechanics, avionics shops, and hangar leasing places trying to get ready to get the plane and I'm having a helluva time trying to get anyone to call me back. I may get someone on the phone, talk to them about getting a cost for something, they say they will get back, and not only do they not call back when they say, they also won't return messages. I'm sure my jobs are too small, and they don't have any hangar space available, etc. But they aren't even returning the calls to say that. I've never seen anything like it. Is this pretty common in the GA ranks?

Try e mail,they usually spend time answering at the end of the day.

I think you picked a tough time of year, holidays coming up, vacations scheduled.

Welcome to aviation. The most lethargic business's I have dealt with are the ones I have dealt with in regards to my plane. Costs more, takes longer, lack of basic integrity and you don't get much customer service. Just getting a call back is hard to come by. My mechanic on the local field is the exception. Calls me back within an hour most of the time and even when he cant get me in quickly he tells me when he can and delivers as promised.

Yeah, this is the norm. When you find a shop that's got good communication, keep them.

Text or e-mail.

Voice calling is bordering on rude.

:lol:

I do believe that many folks these days especially the younger ones try to avoid talking when they can text or email. Though both text and email work for some things, talking is better suited for quite a few circumstances.

:lol:

I do believe that many folks these days especially the younger ones try to avoid talking when they can text or email. Though both text and email work for some things, talking is better suited for quite a few circumstances.

Please don't ever call me and leave me a voicemail. Nothing worse than somebody giving you information on a voicemail that you then have to write down. Just text me or email the information to me, and I am good to go.

I finally got my voicemail full of 100 messages, so it no longer accepts any new messages.

I'm getting closer to having my first airplane and I'm hoping to have everything wrapped up and here by mid-Jan. I've been calling around to mechanics, avionics shops, and hangar leasing places trying to get ready to get the plane and I'm having a helluva time trying to get anyone to call me back. I may get someone on the phone, talk to them about getting a cost for something, they say they will get back, and not only do they not call back when they say, they also won't return messages. I'm sure my jobs are too small, and they don't have any hangar space available, etc. But they aren't even returning the calls to say that. I've never seen anything like it. Is this pretty common in the GA ranks?

GA is still primarily a "walk in the door" business. This is one thing that a lot of post Internet age pilots fail to realize, even when you look at the big corporate boxes and their internet presence and portrayal, what you actually have when you walk in the door is quite different. You are now back in a 60s era operational model business still. The corporate side exists and may be the preferred model, but I have yet to pay the listed price on fuel, or fees, and have even been moved into a hangar for free because weather was coming in. Once you walk in the door, smile, beg, and establish a human relationship, things change. Same goes for finding a hangar. You can call all over the place and be told about waiting lists, or you can walk in the door, or better yet, pull up on the ramp, and be told who to talk to.

Sometimes shoe leather is good to expend on this. Walk in and introduce yourself, get 5 minutes of their time and their advice.

You walk out knowing if you can communicate with the guy.

GA is still primarily a "walk in the door" business. This is one thing that a lot of post Internet age pilots fail to realize, even when you look at the big corporate boxes and their internet presence and portrayal, what you actually have when you walk in the door is quite different. You are now back in a 60s era operational model business still. The corporate side exists and may be the preferred model, but I have yet to pay the listed price on fuel, or fees, and have even been moved into a hangar for free because weather was coming in. Once you walk in the door, smile, beg, and establish a human relationship, things change. Same goes for finding a hangar. You can call all over the place and be told about waiting lists, or you can walk in the door, or better yet, pull up on the ramp, and be told who to talk to.
:yes:
Although I personally much prefer email communication - gives parties on both ends time to consider responses and documentation is there - I find few answer my email inquiries. Example : looking for hangar lease close to where I'll soon be moving....emails to FBO and airport ownership resulted in NADA...stopped by the FBO and was told vaguely of a waiting list which I promptly added my name/number to....phone call the very next day saying my name was next on list for a hangar that was open.....:dunno:

Please don't ever call me and leave me a voicemail. Nothing worse than somebody giving you information on a voicemail that you then have to write down. Just text me or email the information to me, and I am good to go.

I finally got my voicemail full of 100 messages, so it no longer accepts any new messages.

I'm the same, voice mail is the one thing I just can't be ****ed to deal with. If I don't answer, send a text, I'll respond as soon as I can; especially so if you need to get operational info to me. Often I can read my phone on the bridge, I just don't have hands available to pick it up at the moment.

You would think all these VM haters who clearly live on the cutting edge of technology would know there are simple dial codes to disable it, or even better get google voice that transcribes your voicemails and emails them to you. Why lose opportunities?

You would think all these VM haters who clearly live on the cutting edge of technology would know there are simple dial codes to disable it, or even better get google voice that transcribes your voicemails and emails them to you. Why lose opportunities?

VMs are rarely opportunities on my phone.:rofl: Usually they have me banging my head on a wall.

VMs are rarely opportunities on my phone.:rofl: Usually they have me banging my head on a wall.

Agreed, mine are only time shares and credit card scams, but the OP is calling FBOs, Mechanics, and avionics shops.. Seems those would be missed opportunities.

I can see a missed call. I can call you back and talk to you.

This is my number one complaint about aviation. It is impossible to get a response from anyone unless you have some high dollar corporate airplane. I've tried VM , text, e-mail... Nothing.

It does seem to be becoming the norm, but it is not just aviation. Today my wife and I were bitching about several people that are not returning calls, mostly repairmen but doctors, landscapers, pool installers and others. Often when I call and they ask me to leave a message but I refuse and say I will just call back. I hate waiting for a return call that never comes, or comes weeks later, or other inopportune times.

And have you ever applied for a job and waited for a phone call? I haven't done that in decades but I hear that is the most prevalent of non-call-returners.

Agreed, mine are only time shares and credit card scams, but the OP is calling FBOs, Mechanics, and avionics shops.. Seems those would be missed opportunities.

If I didn't pick up the call, it means I didn't know the number. If I have to miss a call I do know the number of, the first opportunity I get I call them back promptly rather than go to VM. Most people I deal with though this isn't really an issue, as I have found I am in the 80% of some demographic, people who prefer text. Most people who know me, or are involved in my industry, prefer text to VM as well, so usually if I don't answer, a moment or two later a text pops up that I can read without having to talk to Siri. I hate her smug ass....

You kind of need to earn your stripes. Make friends and stuff that is not done much these days.

This is my number one complaint about aviation. It is impossible to get a response from anyone unless you have some high dollar corporate airplane. I've tried VM , text, e-mail... Nothing.

Yes you can, use the other side of the business and walk in the door, or pull up on the ramp. Once you are a human to them, the game changes.

My first thought is that since you don't own an airplane yet people aren't taking you seriously. It could be that they believe that you're just another dreamer and that none of what you're asking about will really happen so they aren't going to waste their time chasing your money. Especially if you have no airplane picked out yet that needs a hangar or a prebuy, radio work, etc.

Another thing to consider is that most of these shops are limited on staff. It might be that the person you're trying to get in touch with is a one man shop or the only person at a specific business that can answer your questions. How many paying jobs does he have lined up with customers expecting results? He might not have time to sit and field "what if" questions all day.

People in general are getting bad about returning phone calls though. I can't say that I think aviation related businesses are any worse than any others I've dealt with lately. Thinking back to the last year's worth of transactions, I actually think the aviation businesses might have actually done a better job than most.

When the plane appears, all will fall into place. It's called "airplane magic"!

Exactly.

As this talk about texting is just silly when the OP is trying to reach established businesses that, for the most part, probably advertise land lines rather than personal cell phone numbers.

Texts are great for "who's Bubba dating?" type crud, but if you want my money you will talk to me.

I set up the company phone system to email everyone copies of voice mails they get. And we don't put phones on anyone's desk who isn't talking to outside customers. They can choose via their phone whether they want to have the VM deleted from the box once the copy is sent. Default is to keep a copy there and it's two buttons to "delete all".

Sounds good to me.

Call I taking care of my guy.... Call it greasing the wheels. Call it trying to create a good relationship.

But I bring my MX cases of beer, red bulls, take them to lunch once in a while.... The street is very much two way now. I know my shop is usually very busy and planes with cowls off pay the bills, not phone calls.

But I'd agree on the lack over all of CS. Hell, my plane was in pieces at the interior shop and it was like asking for a hand job to get answer out of them. I just let it go and waited. 3 weeks after my due date, they called and said she was done.

I get the distinct feeling in GA that very few local type business are CS oriented. Big shops are better like JA and Dominion. But the little guy just doesn't have the staff or time.

I've very much found GA to be an industry where you have to go walk in their door. Many don't call back, have mailboxes so full they bounce, or don't have a cell they know how to use. I've found an avionics shop that reliably answers email and is incredibly helpful, but he's not allowed to work at my home airport. The one on field is tough to get even if you walk in the door. We found out there's an unpublished email address that the guy will actually respond to, though, even if in broken English in massive font... My mechanic fortunately sometimes respond to email, usually calls back when I leave message with reception, but is most helpful when I can catch him face to face.

Why not simply turn off voicemail or use an option if available to leave an automated answer but not take messages if you don't want them? I have a niece who does that.

My first thought is that since you don't own an airplane yet people aren't taking you seriously. It could be that they believe that you're just another dreamer and that none of what you're asking about will really happen so they aren't going to waste their time chasing your money. Especially if you have no airplane picked out yet that needs a hangar or a prebuy, radio work, etc.

Another thing to consider is that most of these shops are limited on staff. It might be that the person you're trying to get in touch with is a one man shop or the only person at a specific business that can answer your questions. How many paying jobs does he have lined up with customers expecting results? He might not have time to sit and field "what if" questions all day.

People in general are getting bad about returning phone calls though. I can't say that I think aviation related businesses are any worse than any others I've dealt with lately. Thinking back to the last year's worth of transactions, I actually think the aviation businesses might have actually done a better job than most.
Aviation businesses have a rep for poor business practices that go back for decades. Reality is going to be a mix and there is good and bad in all types, but there seems to have been a lot of it in aviation.

When we go for an extended stay xc, I typically email the FBOs at the airports nearby for information on overnight tie down, availability of hotel discounts, etc. if I write to four, I typically get a response from one. That's the one that gets my business. And that's an improvement.

The story told for many years is the one about the woman who walks into an FBO to talk about taking flying lessons. Everyone in the office seems to be busy with something and no one even has the sense to ask, "can I help you?"

Finally, in frustration, the physician leaves, hops in her late model Mercedes, heads to the waterfront, takes boating lessons and buys a yacht.

Yes you can, use the other side of the business and walk in the door, or pull up on the ramp. Once you are a human to them, the game changes.

No it doesn't. Most of these places have done work for me before. I'm not going to take time off of work to come see you in person. Be a decent human being and run a proper business.

Aviation businesses have a rep for poor business practices that go back for decades. Reality is going to be a mix and there is good and bad in all types, but there seems to have been a lot of it in aviation.

When we go for an extended stay xc, I typically email the FBOs at the airports nearby for information on overnight tie down, availability of hotel discounts, etc. if I write to four, I typically get a response from one. That's the one that gets my business. And that's an improvement.

The story told for many years is the one about the woman who walks into an FBO to talk about taking flying lessons. Everyone in the office seems to be busy with something and no one even has the sense to ask, "can I help you?"

Finally, in frustration, the physician leaves, hops in her late model Mercedes, heads to the waterfront, takes boating lessons and buys a yacht.

:lol: YOU WISH!!! ****, I wish!:rofl: You think the yachting industry does better?!? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: It's the same players with even bigger numbers and attitude, if anything it's worse.

Both industries suffer identical maladies, boating/yachting is a bigger industry only because more people want to be out on the water than in the air, and you get a lot more recreation use/return for your investment. Plus the minimum cost of entry is lower. The yacht isn't just your transportation to your destination, once you're there, you have your home and toy box with you.

As far as being a responsive industry along these lines, the RV industry is really the best.

Last edited:
Back