Not looking good - deal may fall through

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
It looks like this deal may fall through. The seller is being stubborn and non responsive.

If anyone knows of a SR22 with Avidyne for sale, we may be in the market depending on what happens.

Sorry to hear. Sucks to spend money and then have to walk away.

this probably would work better if you just made one thread...

Are you buying through a broker or dealing direct with the seller? I bought mine though a broker and it was a great experience.

It looks like this deal may fall through. The seller is being stubborn and non responsive.

Maybe because you didn't offer enough or are asking for a price break following the inspection?

I've been on the other side where I got lowballed and then I became "stubborn and non responsive" too.

Maybe because you didn't offer enough or are asking for a price break following the inspection?

I've been on the other side where I got lowballed and then I became "stubborn and non responsive" too.

Broker said we are the reasonable ones, the seller is being difficult. So no that is not the case.

'Reasonable' is in the eye of the beholder. In my purchase I had to walk away from the deal because it failed pre-buy. The deal was later closed when the seller agreed to perform the repairs to mutually agreed specs. Stuff can turn around but you do have to be willing to either walk away or alter your bid - whichever.

150 SR22's for sale - don't sweat it. I walked away from one myself. I really wanted it - but you have to obey your own limits.

I've got a plane right now I'm thinking of selling. I'm kind of on the fence about it. For enough money I'd sell it. I had an offer yesterday for 10%-15% below what I want. I said no... The guy is annoyed. He has a broker who is bugging me. If I were desperate I'd do it but I'm not... Maybe I want too much. So what, that is MY right. This is MY friggin' plane so if you don't want to pay what I want for it, too bad for you! I am quite happy to keep it.

Not enough detail to even opine your situation. What's the problem, chief? Where is the angst in the deal?

Just remember, the seller wants your money more than you want his plane.

Hard to say if your I the right. Without the sellers side of the story. I am sorry your deal didn't go through. Some times you have to take the loss from the pre buy and walk away.

I've got a plane right now I'm thinking of selling. I'm kind of on the fence about it. For enough money I'd sell it. I had an offer yesterday for 10%-15% below what I want. I said no... The guy is annoyed. He has a broker who is bugging me. If I were desperate I'd do it but I'm not... Maybe I want too much. So what, that is MY right. This is MY friggin' plane so if you don't want to pay what I want for it, too bad for you! I am quite happy to keep it.

What aircraft? Photos?

So was there a major find on the inspection that you feel justifies a price reduction or several smaller ones? Care to elaborate?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The biggies are starter adapter going and prop and governor overhaul which should have been done 4 years ago. They also didn't disclose cracked lens on the expensive LoPresti wingtip lights.

Prop is an issue.... Starter maybe, depends on if it's airworthy or not. The crack is cosmetic and I don't think it's worth a dime in negotiatons. How much cheese are we talking about in the prop gov OH?

The biggies are starter adapter going and prop and governor overhaul which should have been done 4 years ago. They also didn't disclose cracked lens on the expensive LoPresti wingtip lights.

What prop? Is it an AD? If just calendar year recommended overhaul, I'm not sure I'd be too willing to significantly discount if everything else was in order. Your going to fly it part 91, correct?

How much is the starter adapter?

If anyone knows of a SR22 with Avidyne for sale, we may be in the market depending on what happens.

Stop calling him. Usually when this happens someone else is kicking the tires and they are stalling you. Tell the broker you've started looking at other planes, give them a day if they don't come back move on. Otherwise just give in and buy it.

So was there a major find on the inspection that you feel justifies a price reduction or several smaller ones? Care to elaborate?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Probably 12 pages of airworthiness issues from a well respected shop.

Probably 12 pages of airworthiness issues from a well respected shop.

Actually 6 pages. Most of it BS deferred maintenance. The plane was advertised in excellent condition, maintained by the book. We won't discuss the SB that weren't done. Guess those aren't in the book. Lol. They knew about the lens crack in annual and were talking up the wingtip lights. That's what ****es me off. They could have said something prior to the reposition. But the prop, governor and starter adapter are the things we want to talk about. He won't even talk. We'll probably walk. Broker is frustrated as there is no backup offer and it's been on market for a while.

Last edited:
If I were you, I would take it as a sign. Lots of SR22's out there for sale. Granted, they prob. are the most sought after airplane right now. When I bought my SR22T, the seller had to pay for a fresh annual and the pre-buy. I vowed to never pay for that crap again after my last airplane purchase and its shocking $8500 annual immediately following an "all looks great" $1500 pre-buy inspection, followed by close to $35K in additional maintenance for that 1 year of flying it. Of course this go around I got one with remaining warranty for that peace of mind. You know, you guys could prob. get a killer deal on a 2011-2012 model. Lots of those guys are wanting to move up to the G5 and willing to take a hit. Worth throwing some offers at them.

Thanks Jason. My partners and I want to be reasonable, but, was this a case of misrepresentation?

Thanks Jason. My partners and I want to be reasonable, but, was this a case of misrepresentation?

I doubt it. Most likely a case of, "it's no big deal to me". And no care or concern that it's a big deal to you. Sometimes the best deals are the ones you walk away from....

Unless they advertised the prop has been recently overhauled, what you have told us so far does not sound like misrepresentation.

That doesn't necessarily mean that you should pay the seller's full asking price. Hopefully the broker can help find a happy medium. If not, then start looking at others.

Unless they advertised the prop has been recently overhauled, what you have told us so far does not sound like misrepresentation.

That doesn't necessarily mean that you should pay the seller's full asking price. Hopefully the broker can help find a happy medium. If not, then start looking at others.

It was in annual two weeks ago. It was advertised as flown and maintained by the book.

It was in annual two weeks ago. It was advertised as flown and maintained by the book.

No one overhauls prop governors on calendar time for privately flown aircraft.

If the crack can be stop drilled and fill the hole with some epoxy or something, that is not a big deal.

Can't say about the starter adaptor but if its something that may fail at any moment and leave you stranded somewhere, the seller should pay for that to be fixed.

Last edited:

Maintained by what book?

One thing I've learned is that many owners (particularly those not involved with the maintenance of their airplane) believe that the mechanics working on their airplane are doing something other than what they really are. It is quite possible that this owner thinks that his airplane is being maintained and that every service bulletin is complied with when in reality the mechanic is just keeping it well maintained.

Is it really that big of a deal if the prop and governor weren't overhauled when the book called for it?

I'd honestly be more concerned about the starter adapter. That can leave you stranded.

A log book review would have revealed the prop overhaul issue long before a reposition and prebuy. Unless they had doctored log books, I don't think the prop issue is on the table. It's not like a newer plane like this has a bunch of log book entries.

No one overhauls prop governors on calendar time for privately flown aircraft.
Yes. The props on my Baron were beyond calendar time when I bought the airplane. Did not factor into negotiations at all.

Which book?

Pt 91 book?

Pt 135 book?

Pt 121 book?

I don't think anyone is going to drop price because of the calendar age of the calendar time since prop overhaul. This would only be a factor for a plane advertised as a 135 maintained ship, and I'm guessing the price would be higher.

Nothing worse than trying to buy something from someone that doesn't have to sell it.

If you want to make the deal have everyone kick in. The broker too. Split the cost of the starter 3 ways and get it done.

So.....I have to ask this question. Why are there so many SR22s on the market? T-A-P has 74 currently listed. Controller has 161.

That seems rather high compared to other used airplanes with much higher production rates.

Do people buy SR22s and hold them for a couple years and then move on?

So.....I have to ask this question. Why are there so many SR22s on the market? T-A-P has 74 currently listed. Controller has 161.

That seems rather high compared to other used airplanes with much higher production rates.

right now there are a ton of 2006 and 2007 on the market. Why? I think it's because the parachute repack is coming due...

It would make sense that buyers of new SR-22s would be the "trade-up" types when a new model comes on the market.

Buys of new C-182s? Not so much.

Back