Votes: 34 48.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Somedudeintn

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
somedudeintn
I wanted to make a poll after reading through the other thread. I was surprised to see a lot of track up guys. I’ve always been a north up fan, but haven’t given track up a fair shot either. I just get annoyed and change it back to north up quickly.

I prefer SE up.

That’s right, one thread wasn’t enough for today !!

Whatever I feel like. Thankfully polls don’t show up on alternate UIs other than the awful web one. LOL.

I never really thought about it but north up for aviation, track up on road navigation. Not sure why, probably just because it's the app defaults and I got used to them.

I use track up as then I just follow the yellow brick road, ok the Meginta line. I fly only day, vfr unless you consider IFR as "I follow roads" , then I am an ifr type of pilot. Using mountions or other features out there to fly to, keeping track of the course it just is easier when track is up

Track up in cruise.
North up in terminal.
Gives maximum situational awareness.

In cruise track up gives you a better understanding of what is front of you and relative direction of runways does not matter.

Once within 25 miles of so of destruction you should start to be aware of how wind/weather affect which runway and other traffic on approach. Now the interaction of runway direction, weather and other conditions matter. So north up makes more sense.

Tim

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

My choice isn't there. Or, actually, both are but I can't choose both.

It’s always seemed to me that folks are just wired differently.

I’m clearly wired for track up. If something on my nav display is at 1 o’clock, that’s exactly where I look outside. Seems the only natural way to do it.

But many seem to prefer north up and deal with it perfectly well. I find it a bit more difficult to orient myself to relative positions on north up, requiring an additional mental step of turning myself to align with the track - certainly doable, but less intuitive.

In short, different strokes...

If you are a real pilot, it makes no difference because you use the NAV display.

I use track up when driving, and north up when flying. This is because I have a greater awareness of directions when in the air, but during driving I am most interested in whether the next turn is left or right.

I have to go track up. Otherwise, I'm liable to Send It in the wrong direction.

Back