Newer iPads

Domenick

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Domenick
I have an iPad 2 with WiFi and cellular cabable but I've never used the cellular feature. At the time cellular capability was required for onboard GPS services. This iPad is still serving well as a GPS moving map solution in the Warrior. I do not use one of the paid GPS/EFB services, but something which gives basic GPS and flight Planning features and runs on the FAA free digital raster charts. The iPad2 only has 64GB of storage of which I am using less than half.

I am thinking it may be time to upgrade to a newer iPad. I cannot stomach spending $1000 for a tablet. I'm looking at the lesser iPads, but most of them are WiFi only, which would be fine if they supported both onboard GPS and BlueTooth. Which currently available models fit the mission?

If you want your iPad to come with a GPS receiver, it needs to be the cellular model. That hasn't changed unfortunately.

As far as I know all the ipads have wifi and bluetooth. None of the wifi only models have GPS built in unfortunately, you have to get a cellular version for that. However, you can buy a cellular model with no data plan and just not connect it to a cell service. I would say any current generation ipad will give you a huge improvement in speed/battery life over the old one. You can get the basic current model iPad with 128GB storage and wifi/cellular with the GPS built in for $560

I have the current gen iPad mini 64gb with cellular/gps and that runs $529. I personally prefer the mini for cockpit use, the smaller size is more convenient to me but I think that's down to personal preference.

None of my iPads has had built-in GPS. Bad Elf and now Stratux work fine.

I've been using iPads with only Wifi for over 8 years. External GPS feed, originally from a $100 puck (which still works), later from an ADS-B receiver or GTX/FlightStream feed.

I have not missed the cellular even outside the cockpit due to a combination of the increasing availability of WiFi and the ease of creating a hotspot with my phone,

I bought a practically new Ipad Pro 10.5 (w cellular and 64GB) from @pigpenracing for less than half of new and I'm thrilled with it. I don't know if he has or can get any more, but there are deals out there if you look (and be careful).

FYI, If you plan to use IAP plates, the mini can be hard to read if you don’t zoom in. Otherwise, i like my mini for light weight and I just rest it on my left leg with a rubber case to keep it from sliding around.

I have an iPad 2 with WiFi and cellular cabable but I've never used the cellular feature. At the time cellular capability was required for onboard GPS services. This iPad is still serving well as a GPS moving map solution in the Warrior. I do not use one of the paid GPS/EFB services, but something which gives basic GPS and flight Planning features and runs on the FAA free digital raster charts. The iPad2 only has 64GB of storage of which I am using less than half.

I am thinking it may be time to upgrade to a newer iPad. I cannot stomach spending $1000 for a tablet. I'm looking at the lesser iPads, but most of them are WiFi only, which would be fine if they supported both onboard GPS and BlueTooth. Which currently available models fit the mission?

iPad Mini’s come with cellular. 5 is the latest. Not cheap but under a thousand. There are probably lots of older ones for sale out there. If you don’t want to run the fancy ‘apps’ they should be just fine for you. I’d think you could get one pretty cheap

I have the last version of the mini cellular, waaaay overkill processor and ram and storage wise for just ForeFlight, works great. I’ve only had cellular as I don’t want to drag a bunch of accessories around with me.

I think the Ipad 6th gen would about the most equivalent to what you got. I got a 128gb version last year.
Best buy currently shows them for $509 or $309 with a 2 year contract. I think it costs me $10 per month to add it to my existing cell phone plan. So it basically cost me an extra $40 to add the Data plan to my Ipad for 2 years. I find the data incredibly useful, but I use my ipad a lot.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Look up "IPAD REFURBISHED" and you'll see lots of low price offerings. Try to get the latest model you can, at least one that will take the latest IOS (13.1). An IPAD Air 2 will be the oldest model that will handle the newest IOS. As others have said, if you have any ADSB in boxes, Stratux, etc...you'll just need a WIFI model.

Look up "IPAD REFURBISHED" and you'll see lots of low price offerings. Try to get the latest model you can, at least one that will take the latest IOS (13.1). An IPAD Air 2 will be the oldest model that will handle the newest IOS. As others have said, if you have any ADSB in boxes, Stratux, etc...you'll just need a WIFI model.
You can get refurbs straight from Apple:
https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPad...ina-Display-Space-Gray-MPDY2LL-A/322977431397

I would go with this 2017 10.5 iPad Pro. I bought myself one last December and I really liked it but I pretty promptly busted it. Replaced it with a Samsung Android tablet then discovered that my FlyQ only runs on Apple. Duh, I should have checked that first. So I picked up a cheap iPad Mini, also a replacement for one I misplaced about 18 months ago. Finally getting around to replacing the one I broke. I paid $699 last December and these are $459. They say open box but I have a strong suspicion that they are brand new and Apple just won't let them be sold as new. Mine was supposed to arrive today but the post office is running a bit late so I won't have it until tomorrow.

PS, I see the Apple refurbs are $599 for the same one. So I think you're getting brand new for a lot less. Which is why I think Apple won't let them call it new, IMO.

Thanks! I'll checkout the refurbs.

I got a new iPad mini through my cell provider (USCellular) and never activated the cellular service on it. I paid about $450 for it...I have it yoke mounted and it is the perfect size for my Arrow’s cockpit.

Back