New Information On MH 370

I found the following rough sketch of what could have happened written by an alleged 777 pilot on another forum.

He claims that with some equipment failing, possible smoke in cabin they were in alternate navigation meaning they would have to key in all coordinates (no navigation database) in raw numbers into CDUs, they probably made some entry errors and ended up flying to 'nowhere' while finally overcome by fumes.

I personally don't like this theory on multiple grounds. Would a professional pilot in dire emergency with malfunctioning equipment around him attempt to key in potentially 8 numbers into an FMC? The weather was VFR, they could have made a 180 turn using either HDG select or just flying manually and since they were still only 40 mins into the flight lights of Kuala Lumpur would probably be visible. Why would someone attempt to use any kind of RNAV, wasting time heads down keying in some numbers into a suspect equipment while being still relatively close to land/airports.

Is that like those web coin funny money thingies

Mh, no it is an abstract way to state a sum of money in conventions between countries. The sum has increased to 110, 000 SDR in 1999.

I found the following rough sketch of what could have happened written by an alleged 777 pilot on another forum.

He claims that with some equipment failing, possible smoke in cabin they were in alternate navigation meaning they would have to key in all coordinates (no navigation database) in raw numbers into CDUs, they probably made some entry errors and ended up flying to 'nowhere' while finally overcome by fumes.

I personally don't like this theory on multiple grounds. Would a professional pilot in dire emergency with malfunctioning equipment around him attempt to key in potentially 8 numbers into an FMC? The weather was VFR, they could have made a 180 turn using either HDG select or just flying manually and since they were still only 40 mins into the flight lights of Kuala Lumpur would probably be visible. Why would someone attempt to use any kind of RNAV, wasting time heads down keying in some numbers into a suspect equipment while being still relatively close to land/airports.

Because it's the easiest way to get anywhere in that type of equipment and it's the way we always do it. You're not of a mindset that you'd be thinking that you're gonna fly visually for 40 minutes. You've always programmed an approach before so that's what you're gonna do now. It's not a 172.

Why would they be overcome by fumes? They have smoke goggles and oxygen masks.

If the FMC is working it is likey that the VHF COM is working too. Wouldn't be easier just to call ATC and ask for radar vectors to the closest airport?.

José

If the FMC is working it is likey that the VHF COM is working too. Wouldn't be easier just to call ATC and ask for radar vectors to the closest airport?.

José

Agreed....

Considering the comm was working just fine when they said " Good night"

The caption reads "Boeing 777 will struggle to maintain altitude once the fuel tanks are empty." What they are referring to is the fact that the autopilot will attempt to maintain altitude all the way into a stall even though the engines can't maintain airspeed. Or are all of you just smugly satisfied in your superiority over those idiots in the media? The pubic probably is not aware of that fact.

A 777 can't fly without fuel????:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

Boeing should be sued

;)

A 777 can't fly without fuel????:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

Boeing should be sued

;)

I totally agree. Boeing failed to put a placard indicating "Fuel is required to maintain altitude". I just can't imagine all the new placards for the B777 after this. Hope there is room for them.

José

Because it's the easiest way to get anywhere in that type of equipment and it's the way we always do it. You're not of a mindset that you'd be thinking that you're gonna fly visually for 40 minutes. You've always programmed an approach before so that's what you're gonna do now. It's not a 172.

Not trying to question your experience and knowledge, rather just curious, is the 777 really that hard to hand fly? In an emergency where moments matter, wouldn't it be better to quickly get on a rough course by hand and then time permitting, key in a course, or approach?

This is how stupid the great Madison Ave propaganda machine believes everyone is. These are also the people that sell you politics.
Actually the people who sell politics are much smarter then the talking head grunts that do what they are told and can barely read the script.

Actually the people who sell politics are much smarter then the talking head grunts that do what they are told and can barely read the script.

As was proven by the San Francisco TV station naming the pilots on the air. Wonder if heads rolled over that fiasco.

As was proven by the San Francisco TV station naming the pilots on the air. Wonder if heads rolled over that fiasco.

Naw.... she was a good little soldier who read what was posted on the teleprompter...

She probably got a title change to head of the news dept, a raise and a new BMW....

Not trying to question your experience and knowledge, rather just curious, is the 777 really that hard to hand fly? In an emergency where moments matter, wouldn't it be better to quickly get on a rough course by hand and then time permitting, key in a course, or approach?

Possible alternate route already programmed to a divert emergency landing field?:dunno:

http://www.wired.com/2014/03/mh370-electrical-fire/

"He was taking a direct route to Palau Langkawi, a 13,000-foot airstrip with an approach over water and no obstacles. The captain did not turn back to Kuala Lampur because he knew he had 8,000-foot ridges to cross. He knew the terrain was friendlier toward Langkawi, which also was closer."

Possible alternate route already programmed to a divert emergency landing field?:dunno:
There is a problem - the programmed waypoints don't look like having anything to do with alternate airport/approach.

There is a problem - the programmed waypoints don't look like having anything to do with alternate airport/approach.

???:dunno:

How would anyone know at this point what the "programmed waypoints" entered was??

What if there was a "Flight Discontinuity" in the flight plan?

I don't know what the "programmed" waypoints were, but the article I read said "the plot indicates the plane flew towards waypoints xyz".
Military radar plotting.

Last edited:
I have it on good authority (a source who works in that newsroom) that there were at least two firings from that incident.

Just curious. Will the fired personnel be able to maintain their standard of living with empty bank accounts?

MH370 PRESS BRIEFING BY HISHAMMUDDIN HUSSEIN,

MINISTER OF DEFENCE AND ACTING MINISTER OF TRANSPORT

19 MARCH 2014 5:30PM

"Waypoints
I am aware of speculation that additional waypoints were added to the aircraft’s flight routing. I can confirm that the aircraft flew on normal routing up until the waypoint IGARI. There is no additional waypoint on MH370’s documented flight plan, which depicts normal routing all the way to Beijing."

The only course change that I believe is the initial left turn towards Langkawi.
I fly TOWARDS waypoints all the time:rolleyes:

Reminds me of all of the "transponder and acars were turned off" comments. As if the only way for them to cease operating is for someone to manually power them off.

Last edited:
I don't know what the "programmed" waypoints were, but the article I read said "the plot indicates the plane flew towards waypoints xyz".
Military radar plotting.
Well, I am commenting on your previous statement - this was a preprogrammed emergency diversion, an 'alternate route', right, this is what you wrote? Even assuming that the article you quote is correct and they were indeed heading to Pulau Langkawi airport because of emergency and they were on some preprogrammed route to that airport why last final turn 200 or so miles after they overflew the airport? Assuming some pilot incapacitation somewhere along that route it is simply impossible to reconcile any approach to that airport with the (known) track they actually flew.

Last edited:
What if the fire started with one of the oxygen masks?

homer-facepalm-icon.jpg

Well, I am commenting on your previous statement - this was a preprogrammed emergency diversion, an 'alternate route', right, this is what you wrote? Even assuming that the article you quote is correct and they were indeed heading to Pulau Langkawi airport because of emergency and they were on some preprogrammed route to that airport why last final turn 200 or so miles after they overflew the airport? Assuming some pilot incapacitation somewhere along that route it is simply impossible to reconcile any approach to that airport with the (known) track they actually flew.

Guess I should have worded as a question. I was basically asking those that know, if an emergency divert field-routing would be something "preprogrammed" into the FMS? Maybe only requiring two keypad inputs, instead of eight:dunno:

About the last turn you mentioned, maybe the pilot was regaining consciousness and trying to turn back via Heading Select? Who knows:dunno:

Last edited:
maybe the pilot was regaining consciousness and trying to turn back via Heading Select?
yeah, theories such at this abound, someone was claiming pilots were unconscious but regaining consciousness every 10-20 min interval to perform those turns. Sorry, I don't buy it. But anyhow this 'A Startling Simple Theory' you cite is anything but simple.

yeah, theories such at this abound, someone was claiming pilots were unconscious but regaining consciousness every 10-20 min interval to perform those turns. Sorry, I don't buy it. But anyhow this 'A Startling Simple Theory' you cite is anything but simple.

Yeah everything's a theory until we have facts. It's just that some theories are more ludicrous than others:rolleyes:

Fire/catastrophic systems failure-attempted divert to a 13000ft runway just makes a hell-of-a-lot more sense to me than all of the other crap I've heard and read over the last three weeks(shadowing other airliners, dodging radar, flying nap-of-the-earth up to IRAN, etc:rolleyes:).
But I agree, it's anything but simple.

Last edited:
???:dunno:

How would anyone know at this point what the "programmed waypoints" entered was??

What if there was a "Flight Discontinuity" in the flight plan?

On ACARS equipped aircraft the route is transmitted by the dispatcher to ACARS and from there loaded to the FMS.

José

On ACARS equipped aircraft the route is transmitted by the dispatcher to ACARS and from there loaded to the FMS.

José

Maybe, maybe not. Depends upon each airline and their procedures. In flight when the pilot makes changes that information may or may not be transmitted back.

Do you understand what a "Flight Discontinuity" line is in the flightplan?

If your facepalm is directed to me, I have to wonder if you've seen this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...owned-missing-jet-claims-London-law-firm.html

He explained depending on the severity of the fire it could take 90 seconds before the pilots are unconscious, but the plane could continue to fly on using -fly-by-wire - a system that replaces the conventional manual flight controls of an aircraft with an electronic interface.

article-2591402-1CA3EBAE00000578-270_634x478.jpg

What are you asking for, another face palm?

That's pretty sad. There are lawyers building a case against Boeing and they don't know anymore than we do. I have a feeling Boeing is going to get sued whether they find the plane or not.

Well hell..... That is a given....:mad2::mad2:

That's pretty sad. There are lawyers building a case against Boeing and they don't know anymore than we do. I have a feeling Boeing is going to get sued whether they find the plane or not.

That is a fact. Just by not having the big warning red signs like they do at Disney World rides.

"YOU ARE BOARDING THIS PLANE AT YOUR OWN RISK".

And they do not need the wreckage to prove it.

José

There seem to be no boundaries to the theories that people will come up with and possibly even believe.

The idea that a "blowtorch" fire could erupt, causing the pilots to immediately turn off the transponder and make a turn followed by the complete gutting of the cockpit as pictured above after which this fire mysteriously self extinguishes itself and the now pilotless aircraft continues to fly along happy as a clam for the following seven hours.....

Where's that face palm emoticon?

I do have my own speculative theories but I'd rather not air them because they involve deliberate intent. For one thing it appears as though the airplane flew a course that was exactly 180 degrees from the intended one. If you lay a string on your handy globe that runs from Beijing through Kuala Lumpur and continues south you end up exactly where they say MH370 ended up.

If the recorders are ever found I doubt they are going to answer these questions.

I do have my own speculative theories but I'd rather not air them because they involve deliberate intent.

Why not?? Go back about 20 pages, we already covered most all of the deliberate intent angles. Got a new one? This fire in the cockpit thing is getting stale.:yes:

It's the American way!! :mad2::mad2:Of course, I guess it happens in a large part of the world as well.

The idea that a "blowtorch" fire could erupt, causing the pilots to immediately turn off the transponder and make a turn followed by the complete gutting of the cockpit as pictured above after which this fire mysteriously self extinguishes itself and the now pilotless aircraft continues to fly along happy as a clam for the following seven hours.....

Why not ?

Just because you can't imagine it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

It was bigfoot. You just know those big apes are tired of hiding in the woods while humans get to fly around. Not like bigfoot can barefoot bandit a little cessna, no bigfoot needs a big big plane. Plane will probably show up in Nepal or the PacNW or at burning man.

You're aware that airliner electronics are not usually in the flight deck, right? The controls are there, but the actual electronics aren't. They take up a lot of space and generate a lot of heat. I'm not familiar with the 777, but on a 747 the avionics bay is on the forward cargo deck near the nose gear. The access hatch is in the floor near the upper deck staircase.

And no one said anything about the fire self-extinguishing. That doesn't appear to be necessary. Though it might happen when the oxygen runs out. The same thing that asphyxiates the occupants will asphyxiate a fire.

It was bigfoot. You just know those big apes are tired of hiding in the woods while humans get to fly around. Not like bigfoot can barefoot bandit a little cessna, no bigfoot needs a big big plane. Plane will probably show up in Nepal or the PacNW or at burning man.

Now that is a possibility......:yes:.....:D

Last edited:
Back