New Information On MH 370

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by ggroves, Mar 13, 2014.

1. N801BH

N801BH Touchdown! Greaser! Gone West

Display Name:

Display name:
    FBH
    I am claiming that ,,, barring finding verifiable wreckage........ That plane could be anywhere....:yes:

2. JeffDG

JeffDG Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    JeffDG
    I never in my life thought they'd ever find that Air France one in the middle of the Atlantic, but they did!

3. Silvaire

Silvaire En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Silvaire
    How, when the data determined it to be out there with not enough fuel to possibly get anywhere else? We're talking about the laws of physics here...:dunno:

4. N801BH

Display Name:

Display name:
    FBH
    Is this verifiable DATA .... Or just a theory based on the reception of a weak sigal in a parabolic antenna... Did the receive antenna have a prime focus feedhorn, or a cassagrain feed horn.. Has it been proven the incoming signal was not actually a weak sidelope and the theoretical arc is accurate ?

Where along this suggested arc does the plane lie.. Why are they "assuming" it is in the Indian Ocean and not in the northern section of the arc???

5. denverpilot

denverpilot Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    I had a weak sidelope once. Turns out there was a rock in my shoe. ;)

6. Jim Logajan

Jim Logajan En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    The round trip time of the pings was known (knowing the time is part of the protocol they use,) so they knew the jet was somewhere on the surface of a sphere of known radius centered on the satellite. Where that sphere intersected the earth's sphere generated the arc that was published. The width of the arc was likely less than one light millisecond wide at worst (300 km).

It turns out that doppler affects have to be taken into account by the Inmarsat satellites because they would otherwise cause loss of comms, so they do track and correct for doppler shifts. They compared the recorded shifts with shifts from planes whose direction of travel they knew, and found them to be consistent with a southern route.

Here is a summary:

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/content/dam/mas/master/en/pdf/Information_provided_to_MH370_investigation_by_UK_Air_Accidents_Investigation_Branch_Updated.pdf

Annex with images mentioned in above document:
    http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/content/dam/mas/master/en/pdf/Annex_I_images.pdf
    The signal strength wasn't used in determining the arc. So the nature of the antenna lobes is irrelevant.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  7. N801BH

Display Name:

Display name:
    FBH

:lol: :rofl: :yikes:

8. N801BH

Display Name:

Display name:
    FBH
    I figured it was a timing calculation but the beam width might have validated their wild ass guess a bit more.....

The whole thing is suspect though as they are basing their conclusion on another wild ass guess... "They compared the recorded shifts with shifts from planes whose direction of travel they knew,"

So, I want to see it proven beyond reasonable doubt that they actually know "direction of travel"... IMHO..

9. Henning

Henning Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    iHenning
    The luck window is over, if they find it now, it will be due to dogged determination and methodical search patterns run with a tow fish.

10. Matthew

Matthew Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Matthew
    Or 75 yrs from now some drone fishing trawler will snag it.

11. Greg Bockelman

Greg Bockelman Administrator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    Greg Bockelman
    In that case, they had a pretty good idea where to look.

12. Greg Bockelman

Greg Bockelman Administrator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    Greg Bockelman
    What data? Yeah, we have information from some source that indicates it might be in the Indian Ocean. But that information is suspect in a lot of minds. If that data is in fact invalid, then the airplane in fact COULD be anywhere.

13. Jimmy cooper

Jimmy cooper En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim cooper
    Help me. I always thought a modern sub like we have, was so sensitive it could pick some breaking wind under the Britney deep. Could this have been employed early on and maybe found the plane thru the beeper?

14. olasek

olasek Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    olasek
    I don't think submarine is better equipped for this kind of work than the specialized towed pinger locator (TPL) with the processor/receiver on board a ship. The TPL was lowered in this case to 6000 ft - far deeper than such submarine could dive to. And at that depth you far isolated from your "own" noises whereas even a quietest submarine is not exactly a totally silent environment.

15. Silvaire

Silvaire En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Silvaire
    Well even if it could it would have to be where the "breaking wind" occurred at the time it happened. I think that most people sitting in front of their computer monitors have absolutely no concept of the vastness that the "southern Indian Ocean" encompasses.

16. Jim Logajan

Jim Logajan En-Route

Display Name:

Display name: