New Garmin Instrumentation - Look Good!

Discussion in 'Avionics and Upgrades' started by Rob58, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Paveslave53

Paveslave53 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Paveslave53
    Wait...... so is there any reason that if you had dual G5s you cant remove your vacuum system? Why would you need a backup if the other G5 is already a backup? I have a 430 and I’m installing dual G5s with the Gad 29B,flight stream 210,Gad13 and the GTP59. I have a POS standby ADI. I could just move my primary vacuum ADI over. E42D0996-6A59-4EC4-8372-69AB81776491.jpeg

2. Fracpilot

Fracpilot Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fracpilot
    From the June 2019 Airplane Flight Manual Supplement (AFMS) and STC:

[​IMG]

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?partNumber=K10-00280-00&tab=manuals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. wheaties

wheaties Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    wheaties
    Basically several autopilot require an AI that the G5 can't replace fully. These new items fulfill the requirements. There is much rejoicing in several plane specific forums.

Groundpounder likes this.
  4. Paveslave53

Paveslave53 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Paveslave53
    Yea that’s good news, I thought so.the new Garmin indicators have nice resolution but I kinda like the size of the G5 over the 275. I’m sticking with the G5 for now.

5. chemgeek

chemgeek Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    chemgeek
    With dual G5s you must retain either the TC or AI per STC. If a vacuum instrument is not required for any other aircraft system, e.g., autopilot, the vacuum system can be removed. Those with rate based APs, e.g., STEC systems, keep the STEC TC and pull the vac system when the G5s go in.

6. Mtns2Skies

Mtns2Skies Super Moderator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mtns2Skies
    Kent, I'm interested in these two options, but am having a hard time finding more info, does it require additional inputs in order to do the synthetic vision? Is that a cost adder to the base unit? I put my deposit into Pete, but I think he's waiting on more info as well.

7. Groundpounder

Groundpounder Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Amanda Hugandkiss
    AvWeb/Aviation Consumer usually has articles and YouTube videos primed and ready to go when new Garmin stuff is released, but not this time. I wonder why.

8. asicer

asicer En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    asicer
    Most of those videos are from the show floor from where the products were announced. The GI-275 wasn't announced at any show (maybe in an effort to pre-empt the AV-30?) so doing a video that soon probably wasn't convenient.

9. flyingcheesehead

flyingcheesehead Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    iMooniac
    Pete hadn't seen the install manual yet when I talked to him... And that will clear a lot of things up.

But, usually SV is a software unlock with the Garmin stuff. It just has to have GPS and a database. Sarasota Avionics is listing the unlock for $889: https://sarasotaavionics.com/svt-unlock-for-garmin-gi-275

They did...

https://www.avweb.com/avionics/garmin-introduces-new-primary-flight-instrument-replacement/

10. John Myers

John Myers Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    John Myers
    AV-30 is cheaper and less capable, buy what you need. Some things you can do on the 275 that you can't on the 30:

altitude preselect
    autopilot heading and airspeed bug
    vertical speed bug
    baro sync
    magnetic heading
    AP ESP marks
    synthetic vision
    traffic display
    flight director
    touchscreen

Also I'd say Garmin long term support is better, which has some value. I was initially told the AV-30 would be certified before the end of last year. This being aviation who knows when the AV-30 will actually be certified.

11. Simon Nurrish

Simon Nurrish Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    mb2868
    I'm excited by the idea of being able to upgrade instruments 1 by 1, but really need for Garmin to produce a set (and pricing!) for the experimental market..

12. Groundpounder

Display Name:

Display name:
    Amanda Hugandkiss
    That pretty much just regurgitates what was in the Garmin press releases.

13. wheaties

Display Name:

Display name:
    wheaties
    The G3X is priced differently in the experimental version. That's a hell of a better deal than these GI 275.

flyingcheesehead likes this.
  14. Simon Nurrish

Display Name:

Display name:
    mb2868
    Likewise the G5, which is why I am holding out hope for an experimental version of the GI275. 4 gauges x 2 (front and rear) makes my dream setup prohibitively expensive (for me!).

I have a G3X today (different aircraft, love it - can't beat the price to performance ratio) - however for the install I'm looking at, there isn't room for a G3X (even the 7" portrait version) without significantly affecting the rest of the panel layout - and that's a compromise I'm trying to avoid.

15. wheaties

Display Name:

Display name:
    wheaties
    I don't believe the GI 275 was designed for the experimental world. The G5 and G3X were. Thus you may be waiting a very long time.

16. Simon Nurrish

Display Name:

Display name:
    mb2868
    I figured as much - I guess I’ll keep saving $$

17. Groundpounder

Display Name:

Display name:
    Amanda Hugandkiss
    Anyone here install one yet? I'd be interested to see pics of the GI-275 in the real world.

18. asicer

asicer En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    asicer
    Groundpounder likes this.
  19. AA5Bman

AA5Bman Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    MB
    Yes sir, here I am.

The GI275 has been awesome. I wish I had a picture to post but I don't at the moment. I only have on in HSI/HSI map mode. It's primary and plays the role of HSI, moving map, VOR/LOC #1 indicator, NAV (GPS) indicator, and heading and GPSS steering for my Century II autopilot. I got talked into the install because the unit was released right when my plane happened to be scheduled to go in for an upgrade (was planning on a G5), and in retrospect, I'm really glad they put it in. I pretty much ended up with a whole new panel built around a GTN650xi, but the thing that really makes the whole thing sing is the GI275.

The HSI Map function is pretty much like having your GTN650 screen right in front of you. The entire course is right there - great for situational awareness. It will show your holds, procedure turn entries, traffic, terrain, and waypoints just like the 650 will. The HSI mode is probably pretty similar to the G5 mode, I would imagine. Not as good for overall situational awareness like the map, but great for focus, like on shooting an ILS. I like how it displays distance offset and distance to next waypoint, etc. Everything is very crisp and clear, easy to read. Compact, but not too cluttered.

For everyone that has ever said "don't invest in maintaining an old autopilot," they should see the GPSS tracks produced by the combo of the GI275 and an old Century II - what a HUGE upgrade in capability! Here's a snip from Flightware from the first RNAV approach I flew in GPSS mode, showing the intercept at the FAF, parallel entry procedure turn, and then final approach coarse. The tracks are perfect. This was with about a 30 knot wind from the SE, btw. Really amazing.

upload_2020-3-3_11-57-19.png

WannFly and Hunt-man like this.
  20. Derek Gingerich

Derek Gingerich Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Vorticy360
    Costly but very nice and worth it for sure

21. Groundpounder

Display Name:

Display name:
    Amanda Hugandkiss
    We replaced our mechanical HSI with a G5 that has GPSS, and everything with the autopilot is much smoother, and it flies those procedures perfectly. Worth every penny.

Take some pics of your GI-275!