New Eagle Scout

Me second. I unfortunately fear the Boy Scouts have an uncertain future given very recent events, however, it does not diminish his accomplishment.

Congrats!

I noticed his OA Brotherhood sash. I still have mine and cherish it, as it was autographed by E. Urner Goodman. He was a member of our lodge in his later years (Echokotee), circa mid 70s. Amazing man.

I too have been disappointed in modern Scouting, but I am still proud of the young men who accomplish what your son has. Please shake his hand for me and pass on the congratulations of an old brother Arrowman.

Congrats to Matthew! He's a 4%'er!

Kudos to all who pushed him through to the end, would not have happened without you. Some day, perhaps while corresponding in the method appropriate to the era, he will reflect on how lucky he was to have people push him to this most noteworthy accomplishment.

Maybe before, if he's better than me. :D (I actually had to come home from college for my Eagle Court, dragging my feet to the bitter end, I was).

Congratulations to your son. My son is also an Eagle Scout. Ordeal Arrowman, myself (from my days as a Scoutmaster).

Congrats!!

Plus you look like Karl Rove

Congratulations!!!!

From another Eagle Scout. Definitely not an easy accomplishment.

Edit: And also from a fellow OA...missed the sash at first look.

Many people don't know how much of an accomplishment that is. He's learning things that will serve him well the rest of his life. Congratulations!

And I'm glad that you shared that here with us. Yet another reminder of what a positive environment PoA is.

I stayed in cub scouts long enough to get the pocket knife and then left. Lol...

Congrats

I have a few friends who stuck it out long enough to earn the Eagle Scout title, very impressive. However, most of the guys I knew in BS as kids were some pretty odd ducks (usually socially awkward or non-athletic), which kept me from having much interest in it.

Last edited:
Congratulations to him and welcome to our ranks of Eagles and OA Brotherhood. Made Brotherhood in 1975 and Eagle in 1978. Did Philmont in 1975 and 1976.....Trips of a lifetime with some great people and lots of new skills.

Congratulations to your son. Eagle Scout shows commitment to a program. Quite the accomplishment for someone his age.

I grew up in a rural area in the 60s, scouting just wasn't popular in the area. It was looked at as more of a program for city kids to get a chance to do what we country kids was doing everyday.

I stayed in cub scouts long enough to get the pocket knife and then left. Lol...

Congrats

And then the TSA confiscated it, right? :D

Congrats (and on being OA)! Time for some Palms?

I've got one who is a fresh new Scout-rank, and eagerly working toward Eagle.

Me second. I unfortunately fear the Boy Scouts have an uncertain future given very recent events, however, it does not diminish his accomplishment.

Potential future of the Scouts

f578940bbf156b440f5aa98a598da5af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure he is a good kid, but I have no respect for the Scouts any more. not the kids, the adults who are pushing a new social agenda. I will be satisfied when they close up shop as a result of their poor organizational posture for destroying one of last few things boys and dads could be involved in to grow boys into men.

Potential future of the Scouts

f578940bbf156b440f5aa98a598da5af.jpg

Hahahaha I was gonna post this! Saw that this morning on Facebook. Didn’t want to **** anyone off though.

I'm sure he is a good kid, but I have no respect for the Scouts any more. not the kids, the adults who are pushing a new social agenda. I will be satisfied when they close up shop as a result of their poor organizational posture for destroying one of last few things boys and dads could be involved in to grow boys into men.

Are you referring to what’s being described here?

Hahahaha I was gonna post this! Saw that this morning on Facebook. Didn’t want to **** anyone off though.
Lol, I figured they had thick skin around here. I mean no disrespect to the Eagle Scout status, just a cheeky commentary on the future of the Scout program. :)

Not sure if he wants to go in the military but if you look at some of the senior leaders, a lot of them were Eagle Scouts. Heard a division CG in the Army once say that a prerequisite for his aide was they they be a former Eagle Scout. The title goes well beyond just civilian recognition.

Last edited:
I am probably in the minority here as I have no issue with the BSA opening their ranks to girls. If the organization’s leadership decided that’s what they think is best for the organization then why should anyone complain? On the other hand I’d be very upset if a judge ordered it or if a law was passed making it mandatory. However it is the BSA’s own decision. I didn’t care much for when they banned gay scouts and scout leaders from joining but I supported their right to do so. I believe that private organizations have the right to determine who may and who may not join their ranks even if such determinations are based on bigotry and ignorance. Now I know many folks truly believe there are benefits to single gender youth organizations and feel it helps the boys or girls develop better in some fashion or another. I don’t know if that is true or not and to be honest, I don’t care. If those that truly believe that want to start an all male or all female organization and concentrate on those uniquely male or female characteristics that need special development then they should do so. However one thing I do know for certain and that is that most kids grow up just fine without ever being a member of such an organization.

I am probably in the minority here as I have no issue with the BSA opening their ranks to girls. If the organization’s leadership decided that’s what they think is best for the organization then why should anyone complain? On the other hand I’d be very upset if a judge ordered it or if a law was passed making it mandatory. However it is the BSA’s own decision. I didn’t care much for when they banned gay scouts and scout leaders from joining but I supported their right to do so. I believe that private organizations have the right to determine who may and who may not join their ranks even if such determinations are based on bigotry and ignorance. Now I know many folks truly believe there are benefits to single gender youth organizations and feel it helps the boys or girls develop better in some fashion or another. I don’t know if that is true or not and to be honest, I don’t care. If those that truly believe that want to start an all male or all female organization and concentrate on those uniquely male or female characteristics that need special development then they should do so. However one thing I do know for certain and that is that most kids grow up just fine without ever being a member of such an organization.

I joined long enough to get the pocket knife. I grew up just fine...look at me now! I'm a professional cube dweller :)

I see what you are saying, but here is the thing. Well two things. First of all, there IS a scouting organization for girls. It is called the Girl Scouts. Now, yes, I get it, a common complaint of the Girl Scouts is that they do not have as many of the hands-on outdoors activities as the Boy Scouts do. Fix the Girl Scouts.

I have a problem with women being placed in front line fighting positions with men, in the military. Not because I don't believe women aren't capable of killing and defending, but it's too close of a working environment. Entirely too close. I went through PLDC (Army primary NCO leadership development course) as an E4, which was my first experience as an Infantry soldier working with women in the same platoon level training unit. Even though I was an E4 and normally PLDC is an E5 and above course, they made me platoon sergeant because I was one of the few Infantry soldiers. It was tough. In contrast to my own units, most of the time was spent trying to keep the men from going after the women. It was distracting. It was time consuming. There was fighting. No cohesion. It was adversarial.

Women have served honorably in the military since the beginning of time. But, I'm sorry, there are roles that work, and roles that do not work.

I see what you are saying, but here is the thing. Well two things. First of all, there IS a scouting organization for girls. It is called the Girl Scouts. Now, yes, I get it, a common complaint of the Girl Scouts is that they do not have as many of the hands-on outdoors activities as the Boy Scouts do. Fix the Girl Scouts.

I have a problem with women being placed in front line fighting positions with men, in the military. Not because I don't believe women aren't capable of killing and defending, but it's too close of a working environment. Entirely too close. I went through PLDC (Army primary NCO leadership development course) as an E4, which was my first experience as an Infantry soldier working with women in the same platoon level training unit. Even though I was an E4 and normally PLDC is an E5 and above course, they made me platoon sergeant because I was one of the few Infantry soldiers. It was tough. In contrast to my own units, most of the time was spent trying to keep the men from going after the women. It was distracting. It was time consuming. There was fighting. No cohesion. It was adversarial.

Women have served honorably in the military since the beginning of time. But, I'm sorry, there are roles that work, and roles that do not work.

Gotcha, but why shouldn’t the BSA and GSA be combined? This isn’t war, it’s mostly earning merit badges and doing activities/community service/confidence building right? What is special about BSA that can’t be taught to coeds? Just curious.

Gotcha, but why shouldn’t the BSA and GSA be combined? This isn’t war, it’s mostly earning merit badges and doing activities/community service/confidence building right? What is special about BSA that can’t be taught to coeds? Just curious.

That is not the point I am making. Yes the things that are taught to BSA scouts apply to all. The point that I make has nothing to do with that. My point is that placing boys and girls together in a close working environment results in relationships (good) but also in conpetitive relationships that detract from the mission assignment (not so good.)

Yes, it would be great if the girl scouts could adapt and offer all of the outdoor and adventure activities that the boy scouts do for the girls that are interested. However, I wonder if the numbers are there for the girls. I'm not sure what percentage of the girl scouts are looking for those sort of activities. I also wonder what percentage of their leadership has the knowledge and skills to teach and supervise these activities. They might have to utilize male scout leaders for it.

I was also in the Army though I was a helicopter mechanic, not combat arms. I also witnessed male-female dynamics in the military as we had several ladies in the units I was in. But the truth is that most everyone behaved themselves very well. There was not a bunch of grab ass going on or guys fighting over girls. It just didn't happen. Sure some guys would hit on the girls or ask them out but if they were rebuffed, they accepted it. There were no real issues that needed command intervention. Now this was in permanent duty station environments and not in a training environment such as PLDC. Maybe the dynamics of the training environment changes things? On the other hand, we spent most of our time in garrison and not in the field and I would think that would lead to more problems as the ladies were just down the hallway in the same barracks. Much more opportunity for hanky panky and any drama that might ensue. Yet, to my knowledge there wasn't any. Now I do realize that my experiences may not reflect the Army as a whole either then or now but it is what I experienced and saw so it is all I can attest to.

BSA and GSA are two very different organizations with very different sets of values. Historically GSA has been very open and inclusive to anyone. Boy scouts not so much and that has significantly affected their public perception.

Further this change wasn't an effort to combine BSA and GSA, but instead seems to be an attempt by BSA to undermine the GSA organization.

Back