New Aircraft, in need of avionics advice.

Discussion in 'Avionics and Upgrades' started by Ben Cammack, Dec 4, 2019 at 4:44 PM.

1. Ben Cammack

Ben Cammack Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bcammack
    Me and my dad just bought a 1975 Cessna 182P. It does not have Mode C or adsb and it still has the original cessna radios which we want to replace although they do work.

We plan to use the 182 for cross country trips as well as to build time towards an instrument rating. I think a GNX375 makes sense for adsb and ifr but I need some advice on the radio's and mode C transponder. Any suggestions?

2. Ryan Klems

Ryan Klems Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Rowat
    With the GNX375 you'd have no need for a mode C transponder (it's a Mode S w/ES to cover all your transponder/ADSB needs). You could then add a GNC255 for a nav/com and a GTR225 for a second com and call it a day unless you wanted some extra redundancy. What is your planned usage profile for the plane?

3. Ben Cammack

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bcammack
    Nice, I guess that's where I was confused. Just to be sure: you're saying Mode S fulfills the requirement of Mode C, meaning I can fly into class B airspace prior to 01/01/2020 with a mode S instead of a C?

Also, what is the advantage of the GTR225 vs a GTR200?

We'll be making frequent 400 mile vfr cross country trips and also working towards instrument rating.

4. Jesse Saint

Jesse Saint Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jesse Saint
    GTR200 is not TSO’ed, so it’s only for experimental aircraft.

Mode S also give mode C (altitude output).

5. Ben Cammack

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bcammack
    I see. That explains it. Thank you.

Are there any other reputable brands (radios) aside from Garmin? If so what is the trade off?

6. asicer

asicer En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    asicer
    Trig, PSEngineering, TKM (depending on your definition of "reputable"). There's also Dynon, but the radio is part of a system rather than standalone. Similarly, the IFD440 is bundled with GPS.