Near miss on final video

That was close....:eek::yikes:....

I would have slowed it way down and landed behind the guy, showed him the video and shared a few cuss words...:rolleyes::mad:

Wow....

:yikes:

:hairraise:

Those 747 sizes patterns sure leave you vulnerable for a longer period of time.

Yikes, looked avoidable to me.

Even high wing low wing, you don't have a infinite blind spot.

I had a 182 do something similar, though not as close. We'd taken off from the same airport and were about 5 miles out on the 45. Both of us were talking on CTAF, but I was lost in the ground clutter and he never saw me beneath his cowl. A good feeling that was not.

I've had a CAP bird do something similar. They werent on the right frequency or maybe not on the radio at all.

Anyone notice the comment on the video from the fire chief? I wanna know what happened

Anyone notice the comment on the video from the fire chief? I wanna know what happened

Half the reason I linked to this video here is because of that. I'm curious what the full story is, if we can get it. :)

CLEARLY the Cessna didn't know low wings have the right of way.

:eek::yikes::hairraise::hairraise::hairraise:

That is scary!!!

At a grass strip in Germany the skydiver hauler loved to overtake ultralights on final. Not a nice feeling, but nothing compared to this!!

High wing low wing encounter,was anyone talking?

But...but....but........ Some here say you don't need to talk on a radio. Perfect example of see and avoid here, right? Everyone went home, why should we HAVE to talk on a radio?

In the next county! :)

I was just wondering if part of the problem was both planes doing very long, apparently straight in finals.

Hard to tell, but that's exactly what we've been warned one of the dangers of a straight in is, and that maneuvering to fly a standard pattern helps to reduce those risks.

I hate straight in approaches for this very reason.

Every private jet that lands here I never hear a damn word from them. I guess they're all on IFR clearances and can't be bothered with us poor folks....

I was just wondering if part of the problem was both planes doing very long, apparently straight in finals.

Hard to tell, but that's exactly what we've been warned one of the dangers of a straight in is, and that maneuvering to fly a standard pattern helps to reduce those risks.

I'll admit, I fly straight in approaches more often than not. But I chirp like crazy on the radio. If there are any planes in the pattern, or if somebody is shooting an instrument approach, I establish standard pattern entry.

One time I did end up on a long final with another aircraft. My 160 hp 172 vs. a P180, with me in front. I pulled a wide 360 for him, and he thanked me on the ground. Said that a lot of spam can pilots won't budge.

I hate straight in approaches for this very reason.

Every private jet that lands here I never hear a damn word from them. I guess they're all on IFR clearances and can't be bothered with us poor folks....

That's a problem. Doesn't the controller for IFR traffic advise that there are planes in the pattern? Wouldn't that make it prudent for them to make a CTAF call? Guess it doesn't help if you are on the runway about to take off though.

I'm having trouble discerning where the runway was.

I looked this up. I think the airport is the Grand Central Airport at Midrand, South Africa. It is a 6,000'+ runway. My guess is the twin was still looking for that guy that called "final".

1AF6F1BB-B410-6D52-94E067C74FDE9D55.JPG

Slide2_zpshkettvpx.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks.

I did see that, but was not sure if that was the runway.

I still hold the safest thing to do is to overfly your destination airport at least 500' above the pattern, and to then maneuver into a standard, fairly close pattern, as recommended by the FAA.

I always try to make a standard pattern entry too, even when it's not convenient, just cause.

And for god sakes just key your mic and say where you are! Takes a couple seconds, I don't care if you don't rember the right verbiage either just say where you are! I really really don't want to hit anyone!!!

Yeah the twin Piper would have had an earful after I landed. Jackalope.

That's a problem. Doesn't the controller for IFR traffic advise that there are planes in the pattern? Wouldn't that make it prudent for them to make a CTAF call? Guess it doesn't help if you are on the runway about to take off though.

If it's CAVU which it is if I'm up there, radar service should be terminated when field is in sight, all traffic known to the controller will be given to them, they squawk 1200 and announce.

But I never hear anything on many of the bizjets.

When I'm at the hangar I'll have a handheld on me and BOOM! here comes a Hawker or a Citation landing in and I never hear a word. It's an uncontrolled field. :dunno:

That was a eyeball failure, not a procedure failure.

The pilot who made the video has posted the following comment to Youtube (within the half hour of my posting this to PoA):

"This was my first solo circuit. Taking responsibility for my own actions, here is what I did wrong: early downwind call to ATC was given and response was that I was #3 for landing and did I have #2 in sight. Scanning the circuit I saw an aircraft turning final. I responded that i did (my error) what I didn't see was the twin above me in the circuit. And I should have called I only have one in sight, what is the position of the other. My sense is that ATC also had the opportunity when both aircraft were on final to have called this. The low wing Dutchess and high wing C172 didn't help either PIC. My lesson: if you don't have circuit traffic in sight? Ask until you are clear. Thereby taking responsibility for your own separation. Don't rely on others. This 'luck to experience' transaction has made me 1000 times more situationally aware...... #firstsolo"

Interesting. Whenever I'm #3, the main traffic I look for is #2. I'm not a fan of that procedure, though. Still, usually it's something like: "Cessna 123 Cleared to land #3, #2 is cherokee turning base 2 miles out."

A good lesson never to assume the traffic you see is yours. That happened to me, too, at the end of my lessons. I was given #3 and the traffic I saw was #1 on short final. CFI asked if I really saw the traffic and I pointed and he said, "Tower said two miles out..." oh, I guess approaching the numbers isn't two miles..

If it's CAVU which it is if I'm up there, radar service should be terminated when field is in sight, all traffic known to the controller will be given to them, they squawk 1200 and announce.

But I never hear anything on many of the bizjets.

When I'm at the hangar I'll have a handheld on me and BOOM! here comes a Hawker or a Citation landing in and I never hear a word. It's an uncontrolled field. :dunno:

I'm a newbie to flying, but that doesn't make any sense. In what world is that okay to blast into an airport environment without a peep? Are they not obligated to make a call? Seems that they ought to.

Doesn't the controller for IFR traffic advise that there are planes in the pattern?

At airports where their coverage is low enough to see traffic in the pattern, yes. But in many areas ATC can't see that low. For example, they're blind across most of Northern AR and Southern MO to 3,000' AGL or more.

But...but....but........ Some here say you don't need to talk on a radio. Perfect example of see and avoid here, right? Everyone went home, why should we HAVE to talk on a radio?
They were talking on the radio - the field has a tower.

I'm a newbie to flying, but that doesn't make any sense. In what world is that okay to blast into an airport environment without a peep? Are they not obligated to make a call? Seems that they ought to.

At an uncontrolled field, there is no requirement to make a radio call (or even to have a radio, if you're VFR). But it's a good idea.

Back