Near miss on final video

It disturbs me how often I get traffic advisories when on FF and never see the traffic even knowing exactly where to look...

I used to fly a lot of x/c trips and learned that it's a complete waste of time to look for traffic if it's farther than 2 or 3 miles. And I have pretty good eyes.

Much of it is because the IFR pilot really has no idea where the hell they are in relation to the airport to give an accurate radio call. They will know they're north of the airport. But, depending on equipment, and skill, that's about all they'll know sometimes.
Gawd, I hope that isn't true for most IFR pilots. The approach plate shows distances between fixes and the runway. Certainly from the FAF to the runway. Even before I hand DME or GPS, I knew within a mile or two how far out I was on the approach.

If you know you are at a fix, you should know by a quick glance at the plate how far out you are.

Well, you could do the CRM that way, but if the point is to practice single pilot IFR, the safety pilot shouldn't be making radio calls.
Who says that is the point of practicing approaches with a safety pilot?

I get plenty of single pilot IFR time. Sometimes, I just end up with way too many visual approaches. When I do take a safety pilot, I like to use them like a two pilot crew. PNF handles the radios. I offer the same service when I do safety pilot as well. Just a personal presence.

The primary point of practicing approaches, is to fly the approach for maintaining currency.

True.

But with the traffic coming from above and behind, the Cessna had almost zero chance of seeing the Piper.

Since he was overtaking from above, the Piper had at least some chance of seeing the Cessna ahead of him.

Not blaming the Piper pilot - picking out that Cessna could have been very difficult as well.
Where is this Piper you guys are referring to, or are you confusing the Duchess with a Seminole?

Gawd, I hope that isn't true for most IFR pilots. The approach plate shows distances between fixes and the runway. Certainly from the FAF to the runway. Even before I hand DME or GPS, I knew within a mile or two how far out I was on the approach.

If you know you are at a fix, you should know by a quick glance at the plate how far out you are.

For the guys flying professionally? Not a problem for most of them.

For the guys that own an airplane and have been getting pencil whipped ipcs for years? They're lucky if they even know what fix they're between. I run into more of these types and have to retrain them then I do competent instrument pilots in my area at least.

Back