NCAA football and pay for play

I would not give monetary policy, or pay issues to the NCAA ever. One of the most corrupt and corruptible institutions I've ever come across. After my kids injury, and dealing with a crap coach I found the NCAA only cares about one thing - NCAA. The kids in programs are the absolute last thing on their mind. Ped state bought back their wins to the tune of $60 million enrichment of NCAA coffers. Lotta NCAA admins are going to be getting nice bonuses this year. I predict a lot of NCAA regulations meetings in Maui and maybe Tahiti. Good 'work' if you can get it.

I would not give monetary policy, or pay issues to the NCAA ever. One of the most corrupt and corruptible institutions I've ever come across. After my kids injury, and dealing with a crap coach I found the NCAA only cares about one thing - NCAA. The kids in programs are the absolute last thing on their mind. Ped state bought back their wins to the tune of $60 million enrichment of NCAA coffers. Lotta NCAA admins are going to be getting nice bonuses this year. I predict a lot of NCAA regulations meetings in Maui and maybe Tahiti. Good 'work' if you can get it.

So I wonder what it would take for some colleges to start a new college athletic organization, and then tell the NCAA to take a hike?

Ghery, it's the same today. 1 in 10 get into vet school, with only 28 vet schools in the US, and a first year class size in the 70-90 range. The free intern work was a virtual condition for applying to the schools. As I'm sure your dad would concur, they anticipate very little drop out rates once you are accepted, and they don't want people to apply simply because love kittens as puppies. They only want people who have been exposed to the good, bad, and ugly side of animal health.

My daughter will be a veterinarian in about 95 days. Not that she's counting or anything. She ideally wants to work in a mixed practice with bovine (dairy) and small animal medicine.

Precisely. They wanted 70 graduating Seniors for 70 incoming Freshmen. Every person who didn't make it through represented another person who didn't get the chance. He wasn't happy with the university tried to enforce quotas. Told them he didn't care if they were pink with purple polkadots, the 70 best qualified were being admitted. Stuck to it, too. I miss him.

The ones I know aren't doing too bad. I'd be a vet, no way I'd be a MD.

In the past I've seen shirts at the veterinary school that say something to the effect that a veterinarian is a doctor who treats multiple species. :D

BTW, dad started out in pre-med at UC Berkeley during WWII. He felt the draft breathing down his neck, so he enlisted in the Navy. They made him a corpsman. He found he didn't like working with human patients, but his last job was with a research outfit at UC Berkeley (he said the Navy treated him very well, Mom was a student there at the time). He worked for a veterinarian who turned him on to that option. Went to UC Davis after the war, got his BS in Animal Husbantry and was admitted to the second class in their new vet school. His Navy experience was key to his decision to work on animals, rather than people.

Back