NA... Boomers ... NA

Status
Not open for further replies.

warthog1984

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
LanCA'r
Without sending this into SZ, I'd like to take a moment and make sure the Baby Boomers (aka my parents generation) know just messed up you've made society.

In the past month, I've seen threads extolling the use of drugs next to threads about how one joint makes someone unreliable to fly an aircraft.

And we need more surveillance of society- everywhere except your house and place of employment.

And than there's the threads about how the current generation needs to be more adventurous. Right next to threads about permanent records and how the slightest infraction bars a person from employment.

Thank you screwballs for making sure following in your footsteps is now a criminal matter and youthful indiscretions mean gainful employment at high levels will be forever denied.

Youth is so hilarious. (I do not laugh at you nor your topic or opinion on it)

You cannot know about this until you have been through youth, and then beyond.
I thought the same as you, when I was young.
Those ahead of you will say the same, when you are old.

Not to mention, do you really think it was the 99% of boomers who had zero political power, who have made these bad decisions? (don't tell me we voted them in, anyone we voted in was going to screw us over)

Like you'll do any better.
"Kids, can't live with them, can't shoot them".

We boomers are the most selfish generation to ever grace the face of this planet. We robbed the future generations and care not about anything except our own back pocket.

I apologize to the subsequent generations for what we have done to you and to your chances to be successful.

Reading threads about stuff and reading the news stories are not real life.
I'm a child of baby boomers and I have no complaints about my life.
I am able to work for what ever life i want.

And I was able to have a youth that I hope nobody ever find out about.

I don't blame anyone else for anything good or bad about my life.

You own your life.

Without sending this into SZ, I'd like to take a moment and make sure the Baby Boomers (aka my parents generation) know just messed up you've made society.

In the past month, I've seen threads extolling the use of drugs next to threads about how one joint makes someone unreliable to fly an aircraft.

And we need more surveillance of society- everywhere except your house and place of employment.

And than there's the threads about how the current generation needs to be more adventurous. Right next to threads about permanent records and how the slightest infraction bars a person from employment.

Thank you screwballs for making sure following in your footsteps is now a criminal matter and youthful indiscretions mean gainful employment at high levels will be forever denied.

My favorite part is when they go on about 'entitlement' when they grew up the most entitled generation in history. They should be denied nothing and should have to compromise with no one, everything should be theirs and they owe nothing to anyone.

We boomers are the most selfish generation to ever grace the face of this planet. We robbed the future generations and care not about anything except our own back pocket.

I apologize to the subsequent generations for what we have done to you and to your chances to be successful.

There won't likely be subsequent generations. We face extinction on at least 6 fronts right now.

Not to mention, do you really think it was the 99% of boomers who had zero political power, who have made these bad decisions? (don't tell me we voted them in, anyone we voted in was going to screw us over)

I am old enough, I look around and I see my, and prior, generations as abject failures in our duty towards God and humanity, and we are training the future generations to do exactly the same by not allowing change, going to war and bankrupting society to prevent it. All to protect a fantasy financial system that everyone owes their very existence to. We are a faithless society, therefor we believe in nothing but the comforts of money.

I guess those selfish old folks just didn't make life easy enough to satisfy some young folks. Yet some young folks thrive and I don't hear them complaining. Go figure.

You own your life.

If it was just threads, that'd be one thing; but I've had IRL conversations with people who basically brag about the " good old days" but then toss resumes or demand lifelong records for somebody acting... just like them :mad:.

It wouldn't make me near as upset if you could still find a fresh start in society, but doing so nowadays requires either Witness Protection or a good deal of rather risky and illegal activity.

I guess those selfish old folks just didn't make life easy enough to satisfy some young folks. Yet some young folks thrive and I don't hear them complaining. Go figure.

No, that's not it, they wasted so much and failed to do their part in the development of society. We are 30% energy efficient as a society, and get a single run use (if that) out of all our energy resource. We are still paying for a failed nuclear development program that got trashed because oil and coal were more profitable and required less investment. We spent trillions on a nuclear energy system that would provide us plutonium for weapons, and now we store that material un reprocessed at huge expense because we don't need the weapons material, and we won't allow plutonium reactors to be built. That s a boomer decision. We could have gone Thorium for power 50 years ago and been done with oil when the 70s embargo first hit.

We have refused to become more efficient because the Boomer mandate is "The purpose of resource is to generate the greatest monetary profit." which is a continuation of the generations before all the way back to when nobility too control of resources by divine right.

What was once old is now new.

I'd like to know when the millennial political candidates are going to step forward. We're waiting. Let us know when you're done tweeting about where you ate dinner last night and want to focus on the important ****.

A friend said something the other day that I liked. He said we won the lottery for the gene pool. America is still a land of opportunity. A guy with nothing can work and become anything he wants to be. The hard part is recognizing when enough is enough and throttling back to enjoy a slower pace.

There are a lot of millenials when they realize their numbers any boomers still breathing will be rendered into chum.

If the Boomers bankrupted the system and destroyed society it was because their progeny demanded they support them in the manner they wished. The kids got used to being pampered and never thought about becoming responsible adults.

BTW, I ain't a Boomer.

If the Boomers bankrupted the system and destroyed society it was because their progeny demanded they support them in the manner they wished. The kids got used to being pampered and never thought about becoming responsible adults.

BTW, I ain't a Boomer.

They did it all for someone else, yeah right.

What was once old is now new.

I'd like to know when the millennial political candidates are going to step forward. We're waiting. Let us know when you're done tweeting about where you ate dinner last night and want to focus on the important ****.

Boomers avoid every important issue, or worse, want to go to war to defend being on the wron side of important issues.

That's fine. You can make it up to me if you want :rofl: :rolleyes:

I see the people of each generation differently than the whole. There are always exceptions, I'm not "entitled", you don't come across as "selfish" or rude or otherwise, Tim. :yes:

Make friends with the good ones and make it through. You can either say the world is going to end or make the best of it while it does if it does.
(BTW I'm in the camp that believes it's way harder now starting out than the Boomer generation.)
How long has the world been ending for? :idea:

Hint: (I post it a lot so apologies for those who have already seen it)
the_pace_of_modern_life.png

Last edited:

You own your life.

Similar story here. If there would have been cell phones with cameras, I would have a very bad reputation.

Kids today take pictures of everything and text them around. My kids are screwed. My wife will come down on them hard.

I hadn't seen that. I loved it.
Through the generations, people haven't changed. Technology has.
If my generation has screwed up more than previous generations it is because the technology improved.
That being the case, with technology improvements accelerating faster and faster, what makes any of you think that the younger generations won't screw up the world even more.
The only thing that will prevent that is if Henning is right in that we won't survive that long.
But I think he is wrong and I think the new generation will screw up even more than we did.
So take that as a challenge. See what you can do to prove me wrong. I would absolutely love to see that.

Just please stop whining and making excuses.

I see the people of each generation differently than the whole. There are always exceptions, I'm not "entitled", you don't come across as "selfish" or rude or otherwise, Tim. :yes:

Make friends with the good ones and make it through. You can either say the world is going to end or make the best of it while it does if it does.
(BTW I'm in the camp that believes it's way harder now starting out than the Boomer generation.)

Boo hoo............:rolleyes2:

Boo hoo............:rolleyes2:
:yeahthat:
What has this generation done other than make excuses and protest for higher minimum wage?

The boomer generation was sucked into the Vietnam War which was of the previous generations making. That little event screwed up a lot of people, but life goes on. You make the best of what has been handed to you because there is always someone that was handed something worse. And whining about it doesn't help anyone.

Yeah, well, it was for the children...

What has this generation done other than make excuses and protest for higher minimum wage?

The boomer generation was sucked into the Vietnam War which was of the previous generations making. That little event screwed up a lot of people, but life goes on. You make the best of what has been handed to you because there is always someone that was handed something worse. And whining about it doesn't help anyone.

Should we stay off your lawn too?

Ahh. The old suck it up argument.

And wtf does Vietnam have to do with anything? We screwed our kids and grandkids over because you know Vietnam.

The previous generation went to wwII and the boomers helped **** the Middle East.

Last edited:

They have absorbed the debt and excesses of generations past. It's not a wage this generation will have to struggle for, it will be existence when our Ponzi society has nothing left to throw in the pot and it collapses.

"Thank you screwballs for making sure following in your footsteps is now a criminal matter and youthful indiscretions mean gainful employment at high levels will be forever denied." Quote from OP

I hardly think the baby boomers brought about all the perpetual record keeping enabled by computers, let alone all the surveillance cameras that are ubiquitous these days.

They have absorbed the debt and excesses of generations past. It's not a wage this generation will have to struggle for, it will be existence when our Ponzi society has nothing left to throw in the pot and it collapses.

I read a study recently published that claimed that statistically, the US's average "minimum wage" was comparatively lower that other first-world countries. But, looking at the graphs shown you could see that $15/hr minimum wage would be quite a bit higher than the statistics indicated it should be. Somewhere between $11 and $12 per hour would be statistically inline.

A lot of my coworkers are young people who went to college, got a degree in business or communications, or liberal arts, and then found out they couldn't afford to live the life-style they'd envisioned. So, they went back to school.

I also went back to school after retiring from the military. I also tried to get my kids to see that BA and liberal arts degrees weren't going to help them get high paying jobs out of college. Sadly, they didn't listen. Both felt they weren't nursing or engineering material (thanks to our wonderful primary education system here in the US). Now my son is in the military, like his dad was. And, my daughter is going back to school to become a respiratory therapist.

If decide you can't pursue your dream-job, but you want a higher paying job, go get credentials that are in demand. I'm not talking about racking up $100k in student loans either. It can be done for much less than that. Check out the Occupational Outlook Handbook, and choose to spend your education dollars wisely instead of claiming you are the 99%. That bullcrap really ticks me off!

Not long enough. You need to go back at least to Aristotle.

Yeah, I thought my parents generation were idiots also. I think it's an essential part of humanity for a generation to make great strides in some areas with their children only recognizing their failures since they managed not to be perfect. Until, some years later, they learn from experience what it actually means to be a human being.

But, looking at the graphs shown you could see that $15/hr minimum wage would be quite a bit higher than the statistics indicated it should be. Somewhere between $11 and $12 per hour would be statistically inline.

As a potentially explosive aside, I wonder what my job would become if the minimum wage was moved to even $11/hr. I think most would agree that even a ramp rat (which I'm a bit more than now, but still) has higher responsibilities and risks associated with the job than a fast food worker.

Expensive planes to ding, possible misfueling, dealing with airport emergencies, a dangerous airport environment... the liability of a ramp rat is IMO much higher than a fast food worker. What are they going to do, mess up an order? I guess you could burn yourself on the stove or something...I worked fast food in the last few years so I have an idea at least. I currently make 11.06/hr. Most asst managers at fast food places in town that make the same or more than I do.

Not an entitled speech, just a question of value. How did this come about? Blaming people is fine and all but how do you fix it?

As a potentially explosive aside, I wonder what my job would become if the minimum wage was moved to even $11/hr. I think most would agree that even a ramp rat (which I'm a bit more than now, but still) has higher responsibilities and risks associated with the job than a fast food worker.

Expensive planes to ding, possible misfueling, dealing with airport emergencies, a dangerous airport environment... the liability of a ramp rat is IMO much higher than a fast food worker. What are they going to do, mess up an order? I guess you could burn yourself on the stove or something...I worked fast food in the last few years so I have an idea at least. I currently make 11.06/hr. Most asst managers at fast food places in town that make the same or more than I do.

Not an entitled speech, just a question of value. How did this come about? Blaming people is fine and all but how do you fix it?

Fix primary education! Spend more on elementary school and high school than we do on reform school and prison!

Not long enough. You need to go back at least to Aristotle.

Yeah, I thought my parents generation were idiots also. I think it's an essential part of humanity for a generation to make great strides in some areas with their children only recognizing their failures since they managed not to be perfect. Until, some years later, they learn from experience what it actually means to be a human being.

XKCD's comic on that is pretty succinct though. Meanwhile..

http://io9.com/5867518/10-pieces-of-crazy-ancient-graffiti

With inscriptions like "Sydromachos has an ass as big as a cistern", I really don't think people have changed much over time. :lol:

Fix primary education! Spend more on elementary school and high school than we do on reform school and prison!

They were cutting back advanced level courses and equipment for our school. I was the only guy in a group of 7 people to graduate with honors and etc in high school. In a class of 400 of which just over half graduated (IIRC anyway).

I think the best thing for STEM and students in general are classes like Physics. Slog them through the basic math and fundamentals of Geometry and Algebra and Chemistry for a year or two (which happened), and then let them build potato guns or trebuchets and use the stuff they learned in a fun and safe environment (which didn't).

Let them...make them apply the stuff they learned to real life off the page - a lot of my "peers" were always asking when they were going to use this stuff. Let them! I heard stories of yore of some AP physics students launching a car battery through a fence (not exactly safe but immensely funny), and having contests on who could get their pumpkin launched farthest (safe and fun). Get parents involved and off of the sue-happy mentality and let their kids do some fun stuff like they used to do.

Make it fun and interesting and engaging instead of dropping books on kids when even most adults wouldn't bother to read through all the way.

My dad had an absolutely insane childhood when he was young, doing crazy and outrageous things because he could. I would be arrested if I did half of the things he did, and then get caught because of cameras and social media today. I don't think it's hard to wonder why kids today play a lot of video games, the fun stuff is frowned upon :rofl: Both kidding and not.

Also aviation isn't everyone's interest. I took after my dad from the RAF but who knows, some just might not be interested. :dunno:

Last edited:
Raising the wages of already overpaid teachers(not everywhere, I know) is not going to change anything. More standardized testing perhaps? What part of ed do you spend that money on?

Raising the wages of already overpaid teachers(not everywhere, I know) is not going to change anything. More standardized testing perhaps? What part of ed do you spend that money on?
Do you know of a place where teachers are overpaid, or of a place where there is not already an overabundance of standardized testing?

Northeast teachers are near or over 6 figures in lots of places. Plenty of standardized testing, plus common core crap. Gobs of money being spent, wonder what one would do with more

Northeast teachers are near or over 6 figures in lots of places. Plenty of standardized testing, plus common core crap. Gobs of money being spent, wonder what one would do with more

That's something someone is going to have to figure out. As the boomers age and the birth rate continues to drop, we're going to need a lot more nurses, doctors, engineers and scientists. I believe healthcare will only be eclipsed by food shortages as the most serious problem of the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back