[NA] Best cut for a steak?

Careful, there’s steak snobs here who will critique that.

Of course, it doesn’t matter... because you had steak for dinner. So you just smile and nod. :)

Well this is POA, I joined in 2010, and if I have not acquired a thick enough skin by now...

So....I have two 24 month old dairy steer mutts in the back. Getting ready to kill and package.....How should I have them done? Which cuts?

Attachments

• 19E91D1D-571B-4593-882F-07644E04A3CF.jpeg
    19E91D1D-571B-4593-882F-07644E04A3CF.jpeg
    275 KB · Views: 14
Some suggestions on how to attain that :)

I won’t click on anything that scumbag does anymore after he and Jamie ditched the people who helped their fame for one more season of a show that it was time to shoot in the head.

Scumbags wanted more money.

I won’t click on anything that scumbag does anymore after he and Jamie ditched the people who helped their fame for one more season of a show that it was time to shoot in the head.

Scumbags wanted more money.

Here's a link without looking at Adam Savage stuff;

https://www.seriouseats.com/definitive-guide-to-steak

It has a lot of branches, this one is very important:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

Here's a link without looking at Adam Savage stuff;

https://www.seriouseats.com/definitive-guide-to-steak

It has a lot of branches, this one is very important:

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

Appreciate it. I’d already made a note to go look through the site after you mentioned it. Hadn’t trickled to the top of the “stuff to do when bored” list. Ha. Yet.

I had exciting things to do today like finish getting crud out of my Dodge to probably sell it off (having a dually sit in the driveway and depreciate isn’t smart, but it kills me to sell it... such a wonderful beast of a truck) and unclog the vacuum cleaner of the mass quantities of dog fur from our “little girl” pup the 45 lb fur-making machine. LOL.

Tonight’s fare was pork chops and cheesy rice. Very tasty. We won’t be starving around here anytime soon, I don’t think! :)

The best cut is cutting out of your diet. Stuff isn't good for you.
no....

chick-fil-a-cows-eat-more-chikin-600x360.jpg

or

maxresdefault.jpg

The cowboy steak/tomahawk steak also know as the bone in ribeye. You get the marble of a ribeye and the bone in taste of a T-bone or porterhouse, plus it is going to be cow rib thickness minimum. Cook it over charcoal preferably natural chunk, no lighter fluid, and get the thing so hot the grate glows red. Throw it on the grill dust(heavy coating) the exposed side with KC Masterpiece BBQ seasoning (don't use the steak seasoning). Grill 3 to 5 minutes per side depending on how you like your steak done, only flip once, don't season the bottom. The seasoning will soak into the top side as the bottom cooks and then the excess will burn off when flipped leaving it perfectly seasoned and the super high heat will crisp that fat to perfection while the sort cook time makes sure it stays juicy and isn't burned past a medium. Gas grill works too, but just not as good.

The cowboy steak/tomahawk steak also know as the bone in ribeye. You get the marble of a ribeye and the bone in taste of a T-bone or porterhouse, plus it is going to be cow rib thickness minimum. Cook it over charcoal preferably natural chunk, no lighter fluid, and get the thing so hot the grate glows red. Throw it on the grill dust(heavy coating) the exposed side with KC Masterpiece BBQ seasoning (don't use the steak seasoning). Grill 3 to 5 minutes per side depending on how you like your steak done, only flip once, don't season the bottom. The seasoning will soak into the top side as the bottom cooks and then the excess will burn off when flipped leaving it perfectly seasoned and the super high heat will crisp that fat to perfection while the sort cook time makes sure it stays juicy and isn't burned past a medium. Gas grill works too, but just not as good.
Here's a cowboy ribeye a couple buddies of mine were cooking this weekend:

DSCN3402.jpg

A few huge mistakes there, apart from those, pretty solid recipe.

Flip as often as you can, avoid grill marks. Short cook time has nothing to do with juiciness, and use a meat thermometer to know when your steak is done right.

Again, everyone needs to read that Serious Eats article. It debunks a lot of steak myths (such as the old "flip only once"). Amazingribs has a few good articles too.

Lots of old wives tales in steak - you'll improve your steak game 500x when you understand the science behind it.

A few huge mistakes there, apart from those, pretty solid recipe.

Flip as often as you can, avoid grill marks. Short cook time has nothing to do with juiciness, and use a meat thermometer to know when your steak is done right.

Again, everyone needs to read that Serious Eats article. It debunks a lot of steak myths (such as the old "flip only once"). Amazingribs has a few good articles too.

Lots of old wives tales in steak - you'll improve your steak game 500x when you understand the science behind it.

I do agree with you that the 'only flip once' rule does not apply to anything in the grill aside from burgers (but it does apply to burgers.) I used to try to achieve that goal with thick steaks and tri tip and just got charred messes on the outside. Those were back in the immature bbq days.

Doing your first BBQ is like obtaining your private certificate. It's a license to learn.

I do agree with you that the 'only flip once' rule does not apply to anything in the grill aside from burgers (but it does apply to burgers.) I used to try to achieve that goal with thick steaks and tri tip and just got charred messes on the outside. Those were back in the immature bbq days.

Doing your first BBQ is like obtaining your private certificate. It's a license to learn.

Exactly, and forums like these are meant to share real information about how sh*t really works :)

You get much more even cooking and better char when you flip often.
I don't like to brag much, but I can make even sirloin taste great nowadays.

Agree about burgers, you'll end up messing them up if you flip too often. But I will kill you, until you are dead, if I ever see you squeezing burgers against the grill to "make them cook faster".

Agree about burgers, you'll end up messing them up if you flip too often. But I will kill you, until you are dead, if I ever see you squeezing burgers against the grill to "make them cook faster".

This is why I don’t understand the whole “Smashburger” chain. What are they trying to do, specifically make a crappy sliver of burnt crap?

Way overcooked. Borderline inedible. Sorry, no.
D'oh. Actually it was nearly perfect, maybe a degree or two too high, though - the colors in that photo are a little off and make it look more done that it was. I think the red cutting board did something with the hue or saturation, dunno.

I didn't cook it, but I'm pretty sure it got pulled off the heat at 130 which put it between rare and med-rare. I'm thinking 125 would have been better, though.

It did well. I stuffed it in my pie hole without regrets.

D'oh. Actually it was nearly perfect, maybe a degree or two too high, though - the colors in that photo are a little off and make it look more done that it was. I think the red cutting board did something with the hue or saturation, dunno.

I didn't cook it, but I'm pretty sure it got pulled off the heat at 130 which put it between rare and med-rare. I'm thinking 125 would have been better, though.

It did well. I stuffed it in my pie hole without regrets.

Pulling it off heat at 130 would mean end temperature of around 135F, which is very deep into medium territory, just like what it looks like on that picture. Tenderloin has very little intramuscular fat and marbling, which means it needs to be closer to 125 when serving, and it dries out very quickly after that.

For a rare to medium rare steak, pull it at 120 to 122F. There's a huge difference between 125 and 130 with tenderloin.

This is why I don’t understand the whole “Smashburger” chain. What are they trying to do, specifically make a crappy sliver of burnt crap?

They smash it just as it hits the grill. A bit of a gimmick, for sure. But I don't see it as detrimental so long as it's before the muscle fibers have started to set.

They smash it just as it hits the grill. A bit of a gimmick, for sure. But I don't see it as detrimental so long as it's before the muscle fibers have started to set.

I thought it had the consistency of a hockey puck.

I thought it had the consistency of a hockey puck.
Yeah, I've only eaten there once and wasn't impressed either. But I don't think it was necessarily the smashing that ruined it, per se.

I am doing New York Strips for bbq tonight. It's a toss between that and thick cut ribeye. Ultimately, a good filet is hard to beat, extra rare of course but it's so damned expensive around here. I don't know if you can consider tri tip too be a 'steak' per se, unless you cut it in to steaks first then grill it, but I'm perfectly happy with tri tip. Perfectly. As to the other cuts? Sirloin. Fine. Porterhouse. Fine. Chuck does not make a good steak. It makes great hamburger and pot roast though. Flank steak? Yum.

Wait, you're going to BBQ a strip steak?? Why not just grill it and call it good?

I tried Smashburger once, and was completely unimpressed. The whole smashed thing just didn't do it for me, the side of salad was a couple pieces of lettuce, and the dried food goo on the silverware killed it for me.

absolutely detest Smashburger. First/Last/Only time I ate ... ok, "tried" to eat there, I got something that resembled grill residue scraped off the back of the flattop. Disgusting.

I use 'BBQ' as the catch all verb that includes grilling. Sue me for slander.

I grill all the time. I almost never barbecue. Grilling is cooking with direct high heat. Barbecuing is cooking with slow, moist heat and smoke. You wouldn't barbecue a steak, and you wouldn't grill a Boston butt.

That's like confusing the mixture with the prop lever. Bad things happen when you confuse them. o_O

Back