[NA] Best cut for a steak?

Well, my favorite today is the leftover filet from family beach week a month ago, sous vided to 130* back then, frozen, now on their 2nd 130* bath straight from the freezer, waiting for the kids to get home to throw them on the afterburner, will get Bearnaise on top.

I am doing New York Strips for bbq tonight. It's a toss between that and thick cut ribeye. Ultimately, a good filet is hard to beat, extra rare of course but it's so damned expensive around here. I don't know if you can consider tri tip too be a 'steak' per se, unless you cut it in to steaks first then grill it, but I'm perfectly happy with tri tip. Perfectly. As to the other cuts? Sirloin. Fine. Porterhouse. Fine. Chuck does not make a good steak. It makes great hamburger and pot roast though. Flank steak? Yum.
If I remember correctly, all you need to do is drive down I-5 a ways (with a gun or other steak gathering device) and there will be herds of them on the side of the road. :)

Well, my favorite today is the leftover filet from family beach week a month ago, sous vided to 130* back then, frozen, now on their 2nd 130* bath straight from the freezer, waiting for the kids to get home to throw them on the afterburner, will get Bearnaise on top.
What be the point of boiling them in a bag first?

BlackPepperSteaks_box.png

Reported.

If I remember correctly, all you need to do is drive down I-5 a ways (with a gun or other steak gathering device) and there will be herds of them on the side of the road. :)

Well, the 5, but, yeah.

What be the point of boiling them in a bag first?

Medium rare (or your particular cooking preference) perfection every time when actual dinner time is variable. All I need is 15 minutes notice to start the afterburner fire to finish them off. Works equally as well for a large number of steaks (like beach week), you just need a bigger fire to finish them.

Medium rare (or your particular cooking preference) perfection every time when actual dinner time is variable. All I need is 15 minutes notice to start the afterburner fire to finish them off. Works equally as well for a large number of steaks (like beach week), you just need a bigger fire to finish them.
hmmm. I know where an English Electric Lightning is :D

My favorite cut for a steak is "with a sharp knife." Better if it's my fork, and not overcooked. Medium rare or less, thicker is better. Sauteed mushrooms (butter only, drink the wine) makes them all better!

Just got back from Red Man across US45 from LNL where I put a 16oz-slow-roasted-for-24-hours medium rare piece of prime rib out of its misery.

Why I had the salad for lunch.

(Not really but we caught three nice freshly butchered ribeyes at the store on the way home stopping for some other stuff.)

I’ll have some leftovers. :)

929f0cbd5b2adfc82d25f80c7a4863bd.jpg

500F cast iron skillet in the oven, Alton Brown style. Perfect medium rare. Karen’s got an extra two minutes for Medium.

Something wrong with that girl. :)

Well, the 5, but, yeah.

Pardon me for not typing in the California dialect. :)

That's "southern" California dialect. We never called it that in northern California (4th generation native northern Californian here). And I'm sure they picked it up from the British (trying to sound more upper crust). And we certainly never call it that in Washington. I-5 is just fine.

The funny thing about cuts of steak is that the butcher in the Foodland store in Princeville, Hawaii (north shore of Kauai) turned us on to Chuck Eye, properly marinated and BBQed a number of years ago. Very tender and tasty. Far less expensive that other steaks, too. Give it a try some time. Now, I have no problem with a good sirloin or T-bone. Medium rare is almost too well done for my taste. Trouble is every restaurant has their own definitions, so you have to ask. Seared on both sides, warm clear through so it doesn't say "moo" when I stick it is just about perfect. :D

Chuck eye. Not chuck steak, chuck EYE. There are only two per cow. I snap them up when I can find them.chuck eye.jpg

Why I had the salad for lunch.

(Not really but we caught three nice freshly butchered ribeyes at the store on the way home stopping for some other stuff.)

I’ll have some leftovers. :)

929f0cbd5b2adfc82d25f80c7a4863bd.jpg

500F cast iron skillet in the oven, Alton Brown style. Perfect medium rare. Karen’s got an extra two minutes for Medium.

Something wrong with that girl. :)

Hate to say this, but that steak is horrible. You need MUCH more heat. WAY MUCH more.
Like. Lots more. LOTS AND LOTS more. Hardly any searing or maillard on that.

Hate to say this, but that steak is horrible. You need MUCH more heat. WAY MUCH more.
Like. Lots more. LOTS AND LOTS more. Hardly any searing or maillard on that.

It had a touch too much olive oil on it (just sticking the salt and pepper to it) and our oven lies a little I think.

I need to check the temp with a good thermometer. I don’t think “500” is really 500.

I know what you’re sayin’ though. It should’ve browned a bit more that that in a dry cast iron at that temp.

Could probably with it being that fresh and not aged or dried a bit, have gone without the olive oil and it would have browned up correctly too. It had too much water in it.

Quite delicious though. :)

It had a touch too much olive oil on it (just sticking the salt and pepper to it) and our oven lies a little I think.

I need to check the temp with a good thermometer. I don’t think “500” is really 500.

I know what you’re sayin’ though. It should’ve browned a bit more that that in a dry cast iron at that temp.

Could probably with it being that fresh and not aged or dried a bit, have gone without the olive oil and it would have browned up correctly too. It had too much water in it.

Quite delicious though. :)

Have you read the Seriouseats article about steak? Everyone should read it. It improves your steak game 200%.

This is how we steak. Perfect rare/borderline medium rare inside, and good sear on the outside. This is a filet, kinda boring cut. But tasted awesome.

If anyone here is around the Dallas area, y'all are always welcome for a cookout :)

Steak. by , on Flickr

Looks good on the outside. Would have been nice if you cut into it for the pic so that we can see how small is the gray band.

Looks good on the outside. Would have been nice if you cut into it for the pic so that we can see how small is the gray band.

I was hungry, I thought about taking a picture after I already ate it.

It's cooked sous vide and just seared after that, so there was hardly any grey band.

Oh you were doing so well until the dismount...!

Lol!!

The fattier the meat, the more flavor when it’s more cooked (to me). I love the crispy fat on a med well rib eye. If ribeye is gonna be less than med well, then some salt and totally raw is better than anything in between.

Lol!!

The fattier the meat, the more flavor when it’s more cooked (to me). I love the crispy fat on a med well rib eye. If ribeye is gonna be less than med well, then some salt and totally raw is better than anything in between.
<ahem>Prime Rib Roast</ahem>

Ribeye for cooked (medium rare).
Fillet for uncooked.

Reason is that the chunks of fat in ribeye isn’t great when it’s cold. But I can eat a whole fillet straight out of the fridge though.

I wish there was a cooking technique that enables you to sear & melt fat but keep the rest of the steak rare. Sous vide won’t do this - to me sous vide always taste overdone (at 120 - which is the lowest you can safely go for an extended period of time).

On the other end ... hangar steak. Did restaurants dream up this cut to sell more red wine that one needs to wash it down while chewing? And chewing...And chewing...

That's "southern" California dialect. We never called it that in northern California (4th generation native northern Californian here). And I'm sure they picked it up from the British (trying to sound more upper crust). And we certainly never call it that in Washington. I-5 is just fine.

The funny thing about cuts of steak is that the butcher in the Foodland store in Princeville, Hawaii (north shore of Kauai) turned us on to Chuck Eye, properly marinated and BBQed a number of years ago. Very tender and tasty. Far less expensive that other steaks, too. Give it a try some time. Now, I have no problem with a good sirloin or T-bone. Medium rare is almost too well done for my taste. Trouble is every restaurant has their own definitions, so you have to ask. Seared on both sides, warm clear through so it doesn't say "moo" when I stick it is just about perfect. :D

I never said I was from Norcal....

Medium rare filet encrusted with lots of black pepper, accompanied with chimichurri.

So interesting how the most popular steaks are the fattiest (ribeye) or the leanest (filet).

On the other end ... hangar steak. Did restaurants dream up this cut to sell more red wine that one needs to wash it down while chewing? And chewing...And chewing...

There must be a technique to cooking it - or maybe some grades are better than others. I had this bad boy at a Purple Board fly in at Harris Ranch a while back...

IMG_2742.JPG

A ribeye or KC strip, but I like filets, too. I guess I'm not really all that picky.

A few times a year our local grocery store has a pretty good meat sale. I can pick up a whole loin strip and cut it into steaks (I'll do it myself, or they'll do it free) and end up with a freezer full of strip steaks at a really good deal. Sometimes they'll have beef rib roasts on sale like that, too, and I'll end up with a lot of ribeyes. Last week it was beef tenderloins on half price sale, so I got one of those and ate good on Father's Day.

KC or NY strip. I’m told the only difference is that the KC version keeps part of the t-bone. Either way, it’s a great cut.

Back