N/A Non-Binary N/A

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc4wsd

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kc4wsd
I was setting up a new Roku television tonight, and one option was Gender. Can anybody explain what in the world a Non-Binary person is exactly?!?!?
b5d28aa72ba95fc3d90a37e03280b7eb.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have a friend that works at a university and on one of their surveys it had 14 different choices for "gender".

Ibtl.

The tldr version is gender differs from sex.
If you agree or not thats probably a discussion that ventures way into politics. Hence the ibtl that will likely follow.

I have a friend that works at a university and on one of their surveys it had 14 different choices for "gender".
Ridiculous!

Ibtl.

The tldr version is gender differs from sex.
If you agree or not thats probably a discussion that ventures way into politics. Hence the ibtl that will likely follow.
To be honest, I never thought about this being offensive . . . but you're right. People get offended by the oddest things any more. Oh well, I've never been accused of being politically correct.
As far as people who live "alternate lifesytles," my opinion is that your business is none of my business . . . HOWEVER . . . "Non-Binary" just does NOT sound like a gender option that makes sense.
"I'm not a 1 or a 0."

While I don't agree with concepts like "genderfluid" where you can be masculine/feminine/both/neither at any time, it has zero effect on me personally so I'm 100% okay with people doing what they want.
I agree with your viewpoint . . . just found the terminology to be bizarre.

To be honest, I never thought about this being offensive . . . but you're right. People get offended by the oddest things any more. Oh well, I've never been accused of being politically correct.
As far as people who live "alternate lifesytles," my opinion is that your business is none of my business . . . HOWEVER . . . "Non-Binary" just does NOT sound like a gender option that makes sense.
"I'm not a 1 or a 0."

I think the 0 and 1 is "male" or "female" in their case.

metadata. we re all a number in the big consumerist machine. now consume like a good little peon and dont ask too many questions.

I guess "prefer not to say" is no longer an acceptable alternative.

You should select the "non-binary" option, just to see if they get special TV programing or something. Then non-non-binary people could be offended because we're obviously not getting special treatment from our TVs.

I was setting up a new Roku television tonight, and one option was Gender. Can anybody explain what in the world a Non-Binary person is exactly?!?!?
b5d28aa72ba95fc3d90a37e03280b7eb.jpg

Delusional.

We Geneticists call them sex reversed. It can happen biologically, when the male determining region of the Y chromosome recombines with the X chromosome. Such sex reversals do not happen outside of consequence.

That said, I think the ones you fellows are thinking about are a wee bit more psychological.

Did you seriously not know the term or were you just trying to stir things up?
I'm 50 years old, and apparently have been living under a rock . . . I've never heard the term.

I've seen other options, and even "Prefer Not to Say," but not that one.

People are binary. Either you are a pilot, or you are not. :)
I are a pilot. I am not current. I don't have a valid medical. Does that make me non-binary, an inverted pilot, or a simulator jockey? I dunno, I am confused.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My original post didn't come from a place of questioning a person's sexual orientation, but rather from the absurdity of the use of the term in that context. As others have mentioned, what happened to, "Prefer Not to Say?"

I are a pilot. I am not current. I don't have a valid medical. Does that make me non-binary, an inverted pilot, or a simulator jockey? I dunno, I am confused.

If you have ever legally flown an airplane as PIC, then you will always be a pilot. :)

My original post didn't come from a place of questioning a person's sexual orientation, but rather from the absurdity of the use of the term in that context. As others have mentioned, what happened to, "Prefer Not to Say?"

It's all about datamining. My policy in cases like this, when companies ask me for information for which they have no legitimate need and no business asking about, is to provide as much incorrect information as I can in the hope of screwing up their algorithms as much as possible.

Rich

It's all about datamining. My policy in cases like this, when companies ask me for information for which they have no legitimate need and no business asking about, is to provide as much incorrect information as I can in the hope of screwing up their algorithms as much as possible.

Rich
I like the way you think . . . I'll keep that in mind when I'm presented with questions like that in the future.

If you have ever legally flown an airplane as PIC, then you will always be a pilot. :)
Yay me!
'Course, I already knew that... The FAA just sent me my new plastic license. Now all I gotta do is get the 3rd class...

I think the more important question is, why does a tv box need to know your gender?
Because it wants to screw you.
Smart TVs are much cheaper than non-smart TVs because they make it up selling information about you.

But that option denies someone who identifies as neither male or female the ability to let you know that.

What about people who were not born pilots, but transitioned? Why do you want to deny them their person-hood?

Rich

This reminds me of the summer that I worked for the Senseless Bureau when I was in college. My job was essentially to grade the SAT forms that the very well paid enumerators completed in the field to make sure that enough of the bubbles were filled in before they were sent to the "quality control department." (I still have no idea what they did that we in my department didn't) If not, they had to go back out to the enumerators to go back to the homes to acquire the data. (This was back when demographic information, like race and citizenship were still being asked.) At the end of the summer as they were trying to wrap up, I was literally told by my manager, rather than to send incomplete forms back as I had done all summer, simply create the data and pass it on. (Mind you, the whole point of my job all summer was to make sure that the enumerators got enough date from the residents in the area. That's it.) There may or may not have been an unusual spike in the number of Eskimo Nation members in Indiana that year.

Last edited:
I like the way you think . . . I'll keep that in mind when I'm presented with questions like that in the future.

When I got my first Android phone and had to create a Gmail account to go with it, I created it using the identity of a fictitious 7-year-old girl named Leticia Snipe, authorized by an equally fictitious parent named Gardenia Snipe. I paid for apps using prepaid cards and never used the email address for anything else.

Once Leticia turned 13 and became open game under COPPA, I deleted the account.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back