Myrtle Beach area airports

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
Planning a trip there on memorial day and staying for a couple days. How GA friendly is MYR vs CRE? Will I get buried in landing/parking fees at MYR? I usually try to go to the smaller fields but it looks like MYR will be a more convenient airport to get a rental car from.

I don't know your definition of "buried" but I've flown into MYR twice, once with an overnight stay to visit with friends. I don't recall whether there were fees or what they were or whether they were waived, but I don't recall thinking "wow!." I found both the airport and Beach Aviation very GA friendly. I haven't been into CRE; both times MYR was far more convenient.

The best way to find out about the fees is to contact them.

A $5-10/night parking fee isn't a big deal to me, I just don't want to land somewhere and rack up $100 in fees just for spending a couple nights on the ramp.

CRE $12, 1 night waived with some fuel, never had a problem getting a crew car for a couple of hours tops, very GA friendly, very close to a ton of stuff, couple of nice ladies at the desk, you'll most likely see some type of military aircraft. Only did MYR twice and honestly don't remember fees.

CRE used to have a wonderful mom-n-pop FBO that rented their own cars, it was a nice experience. It looks like they're gone now, but it does look like Enterprise services the airport.

I noticed rental cars are really really cheap there right now. I think I'm going to finally rent the convertible I never get because I'm too cheap.

I usually go up to Boulineau's, buy some seafood, and cook it at the condo. Good stuff!

Been to both. I thought CRE was excellent.

When I went to MYR I had to drive a crew car to the other side of the airport to the main terminal to get the rental car, then have someone drive the rental over to the FBO, then drive them back to the airline terminal. Same hassle upon returning the rental.

I've always flown into MYR. And, I parked at the terminal. But that's just me. I mean MYR, you're like a block or three from the strippers, I mean strip, and hotels.

I believe MYR and CRE FBO operations are one in the same now. All county operated.

This is good info for me as well. The wife and I plan on flying over there sometime soon.

Flew single engine piston into MYR last year for a 3 day conference. Tower and ground were good and we were marshalled to a parking spot between a Mooney and a Baron. Rental car was ready and our stay was pleasant. Dont remember any crazy fees. FBO folks were great.

NOTE: We were cleared to land so wife and i were sight seeing a little bit over the beach on downwind when tower called and said: "do you have airport in sight"?
Me puzzled said: "Affirm" Tower: "can you turn in and land on it"?
We thought it funny but tower not so much.
We landed long with an RJ right behind us.

also, this. trust me.

Molly Darcy's
I second this motion!
Randomly had a beautiful day last fall and needed time for my commercial.
Flew here and got am uber out to molly darcy's. Great food and right along the beach!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I hope this is all the kind of summer "chance of t-storm" where it's nearly clear most of the day and a quick scattered storm rolls through and is gone in an hour.

Much of the en-route forecast looks like this :(

Attachments

• IMG_4356.PNG
    IMG_4356.PNG
    341.6 KB · Views: 23
NOTE: We were cleared to land so wife and i were sight seeing a little bit over the beach on downwind when tower called and said: "do you have airport in sight"?
Some Towers would not have been as nice about it.

Yeah, bad form.... and landing long with someone right behind you to boot.

depend where you are staying - when I flew into MYR we were staying nearer that airport than CRE - iirc the car rental cost was much less than @ CRE and it paid for the slighty higher prices for other stuff. . .

Very cool. So we want full pirep on the FBO there.

I've always flown into CRE, it's lower key and yes, rentals have always been dirt cheap when I was there. Plus you can pretty much walk out of the airport and you know right away that you're at the beach, just a few blocks from the ocean.

Hope you have a great time. Now put the phone down, get off POA and go enjoy yourself!

So we went to MYR largely to get a better rental car selection. There's a huge charge to get your car in the FBO so I've taken the courtesy car over to the terminal where al the miserable people are to get a vehicle....... waiting in line. IN LINE. But I'm too cheap to pay $70/day for a stupid appliancemobile if there's another way so....

Good info. I am in the upstate out of KCEU and when I finish my ticket I plan on taking regular trips to Myrtle and Charleston.

Yeah,,,would have been had not ALL the taxi ways been closed except the ones on both ends,,,,,

Yeah, bad form.... and landing long with someone right behind you to boot.

Am I doin it right?

Attachments

• IMG_4381.JPG
    IMG_4381.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 27
Yeah,,,would have been had not ALL the taxi ways been closed except the ones on both ends,,,,,
What does that have to do with sight seeing?

Butter it up anyway you want.
Bad form.

Been to both. I thought CRE was excellent.

When I went to MYR I had to drive a crew car to the other side of the airport to the main terminal to get the rental car, then have someone drive the rental over to the FBO, then drive them back to the airline terminal. Same hassle upon returning the rental.

Had the same experience once. CRE from that point on just for rental convenience, but CRE is just nicer for smaller stuff. Plus you can watch the banner tow (no, that's not a crash) and ride ops!

I understand there's an busy helicopter ride operation at an off-airport, in-town location. That could be fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Went to MYR about 4.5 years ago for a wedding. I don't remember anything particularly bad about it, except that the ILS had me way out over the water.

If it had unreasonable fees, I'd remember that. ;p I think I looked at CRE but MYR was way more convenient to where we were going.

So here's my report on MYR for posterity/reference....

Busy class C field. On my initial approach they asked me to follow an A320 on final. I was a ways out at this point and I guess the controller realized about halfway through that it was going to take a Cherokee somewhat longer to cover that distance than the airbus so he cleared another a320 for takeoff ahead of me. I also had to depart after a heavy aircraft when I left. Expect wake turbulence to be a factor at this field! That said, they are pretty good about sequencing and getting you in/out I think. The controllers were patient dealing with a pilot used to uncontrolled fields. On landing they said there would be a follow me truck but it never arrived. There's only one runway and Taxiway B is the only option on the GA side of the field so it isn't difficult to find your way. There is plenty of single engine piston activity on the field so don't worry about being a go-cart in a truck stop... plenty of other single engine pistons on the ramp.

FBO is, as would be expected a large facility with lots of nice furnishings and comfy places to sit. The nightly ramp fee is $15 but they waive a day with fuel purchase. The FBO does have a rental car agent on site but they charge more than double what it costs to rent a car on the other side of the field for whatever reason. The FBO does have a crew car and were able to use that to go over and get a rental from the terminal. Cars, at least when I went, are the cheapest I've seen anywhere at that terminal. For about $80/day I was able to rent a Mustang Convertible without a reservation.... less exciting cars were dirt cheap but I felt like something more fun. For the same price I would have gotten some basic applicancemobile at the FBO. Kind of a hassle and silly to have to do it that way but it is what it is.

I think CRE might be a better choice for GA, but I didn't go there. If I go again I'll probably use the other airport and call ahead for a rental assuming I can get the good pricing.

...I think CRE might be a better choice for GA, but I didn't go there.....

not offended that you didn't take my advice about CRE or use my CRE kneeboard. not at all, it's all good. totally cool with it.

Back