My Attempt at a $115 ADS-B Receiver Build for Foreflight

How did you mount the antennas to the top and which battery pack are you using?

How did you mount the antennas to the top and which battery pack are you using?
I used the battery in the BOM...kmashi? The antennae are mounted with a gum I found at an office supply store. It is used to tack posters to a wall without damaging either.

I need help. I've confirmed connection to ipad via wifi with stratux. I setup the configuration page via the ip address to 1090. However, I cannot see a connection within ForeFlight that shows the Stratux device connected. Therefore do not have the traffic overlay option displayed. Has anyone been through this scenario? I have loaded v4r2.

All - after a couple of frustrating days, I finally solved the issue of integrating stratux with foreflight to obtain traffic. I'm posting my solution for the sake of others that may run into that problem in the future. I had to first backup iPad's data to iCloud and then update my iPad (air 2 in my case) to apple's iOS 9.0.2. Then delete the foreflight app and reinstall FF from scratch. Ensure stratux is transmitting via wifi, connect iPad to stratux wifi. Then open FF and navigate to devices tab. Tap "freeflight" within the devices options. Then navigate to maps. Finally,from the drop down menu on maps, select the overlay "traffic". Voila!!

Thanks to Capn Jack for your input and assistance to setup the stratux!

I did not research the options for a commercial splitter before I wrote my piece. By all means, if you can find a good 1 Gig splitter for $5 or so, go for it. A LOT less hassle than rolling your own.

I saw a photo with a couple of those "extension" portable radio antennas mounted on the top of the box. The internals of those extension antennas may have some issues at the frequencies we are working with. I really recommend something that is measured, solid, and soldered.

Just my 8% of two bits.

Jim

Finally all wired and bolted up !!

Attachments

• final1.jpg
    final1.jpg
    881.3 KB · Views: 63
I saw a photo with a couple of those "extension" portable radio antennas mounted on the top of the box. The internals of those extension antennas may have some issues at the frequencies we are working with. I really recommend something that is measured, solid, and soldered.

Just my 8% of two bits.

Jim

That might have been my photo. Honestly, those antennae are undoubtedly better than anything I could make given my knowledge of radio and the tools I own. I've read they work best for this purpose when not extended fully, makes sense since the wavelength is 0.286 meters (11 inches) (or 0.367 meters, depending on whether we are discussing 1050 or 978 MHz), so a half-wave antenna is around 5.5 inches., pretty close to the height of those antennae.

Edit: The 1050 receiver is picking up commercial jets out to around 50-60 nm from my basement window in the configuration pictured so it seems to work well enough. I grant a well designed, and made, antenna could do better.

Last edited:
Finished my cup of coffee, finished the assembly, and started receiving traffic while still in the building.

4c199d7797222a1cff6fd0a079137c42.jpg

I'm using a RavPower 13000mAh battery to get a little more longevity.

Homemade case. Just waiting for stain to dry then polyurethane.

68499806aba7b2eebe69a41ee09dd095.jpg

That might have been my photo. Honestly, those antennae are undoubtedly better than anything I could make given my knowledge of radio and the tools I own. I've read they work best for this purpose when not extended fully, makes sense since the wavelength is 0.286 meters (11 inches) (or 0.367 meters, depending on whether we are discussing 1050 or 978 MHz), so a half-wave antenna is around 5.5 inches., pretty close to the height of those antennae.

Edit: The 1050 receiver is picking up commercial jets out to around 50-60 nm from my basement window in the configuration pictured so it seems to work well enough. I grant a well designed, and made, antenna could do better.

Rule #1: If it works, don't mess with it.
Rule #2: IF in doubt, see rule #1

Having said that, a half wave antenna is ANTIresonant as we discussed a month ago and should provide maximum poorness of signal. However, see rule #1.

Jim

Just noting here that the group that's working on a $30 ADS-B receiver for Android has now added UAT support, although it's single band only at this point. See this thread.

Been watching this with some interest... even more now that my stratus 1 just died.

Anyone get AHRS working with foreflight yet? I'm on the verge of ordering some parts and putting one of these together...

Any pireps on the latest non-beta version of the software, v 0.4r2?

I keep thinking a hand is going to come out of that wooden box and switch it off. :)

The Pi, the SDR and the RTL along with their ancilliary developments are an outstanding achievement. However, I wonder why no one has come up with an App to work on the iPad and eliminate the extra computer a La the approach which seems to have evolved for Android systems ?

Been watching this with some interest... even more now that my stratus 1 just died.

Anyone get AHRS working with foreflight yet? I'm on the verge of ordering some parts and putting one of these together...

Yeap, works fine.

I have about 10 hours (7 flights) on the latest version with two antennas using ship's power between the east coast and northern Michigan. Rock steady and always had towers. Glad to see foreflight even gives traffic warnings for close targerts. Don't miss my XM at all.

I have never had a "ghost" image of my plane, but wonder how the software knows how to block it out?

On long cross country flights it's fun to see all the airliners, but near big cities (in my case Philadelphia), you have to hide distant traffic or the map is filled with non-relevant traffic.
iptWRxV

Last edited:

Saw that a while ago but going to hold off for a while to see if anyone reports issues.

I have to say that I honestly cant trust it 100% since the v0.3b3 version, occasionally the heartbeat signal just stops and traffic disappears from 20 to 90 seconds +. I suspect with all the logging they have added, when its flushing from memory to the SD card, the Pi is just overloaded and the heartbeat/traffic info stops flowing.

The webUI just keeps on trucking and shows no lack.

Maybe a faster SD card might help but the "trust" level is not there.

Saw that a while ago but going to hold off for a while to see if anyone reports issues.

I have to say that I honestly cant trust it 100% since the v0.3b3 version, occasionally the heartbeat signal just stops and traffic disappears from 20 to 90 seconds +. I suspect with all the logging they have added, when its flushing from memory to the SD card, the Pi is just overloaded and the heartbeat/traffic info stops flowing.

I agree I had the best luck before I added the GPS although the 4r2 seems to run well so far. I'm having a great time and learning a lot with this project but for me it is strictly for fun. I just ordered the stratus 2s should be here before 8pm tonight! I plan on doing a lot of side by side testing if I ever get a real case I may even go up with it to see how it does.

I agree I had the best luck before I added the GPS although the 4r2 seems to run well so far. I'm having a great time and learning a lot with this project but for me it is strictly for fun. I just ordered the stratus 2s should be here before 8pm tonight! I plan on doing a lot of side by side testing if I ever get a real case I may even go up with it to see how it does.
I'm excited to see the results! Don't forget to disassemble it and show us the antenna.

I've got a disassembled stratus 1 here on my desk if anyone wants pics of it...

Ok, I pulled this apart because the charging port- a kinda flimsy surface mounted micro USB port got pushed in and broke. I've ordered a new connector from amazon and I'm hoping I can solder a new one on.

Unit comes apart very easily, there are 3 torx screws under the rubber feet, then a fourth hiding under the sticker. Then it's just a single circuit board connected to a small battery pack. Fairly underwhelming really, lots of extra space in the housing too.

Attachments

• IMG_3202.jpg
    IMG_3202.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3205.jpg
    IMG_3205.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_3206.jpg
    IMG_3206.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3209.jpg
    IMG_3209.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 86

Good point about the GPS chip. Might disconnect that for a while and see how it goes.

On side by side testing - I did that against a SkyRadar unit, Stratux showed more traffic and was very stable. That was before the addition of the GPS chip

I have put in over 10 hours in 7 flights with v.4r2 - all of it rock steady with at least one tower active. I have two antennas and use ship's power. The pirep shown was mine after the tower asked for a base/ceiling report leaving Traverse City.

iptWRxV.jpg

Yesterday, I was in the pattern when a pipeline patrol pilot called that he was overflying the airport. I had been watching him get closer on the iPad, and when he flew over I got the traffic warning. This thing is great!

Good point about the GPS chip. Might disconnect that for a while and see how it goes.

I have ran a compiled version 0.4r2 with none of the dropouts and other issues since it was released. However, I do not have the GPS chip. I do have one ordered and plan to try with 0.4r3 when it arrives.

On thing I did notice with the updated 0.4r2 version was that I still could not clear the Weather WatchList on the Web UI. It would clear down to one character, but would not go back to a blank field without editing the stratux.conf file with: "WatchList":""

I took it flying for the first time today. It picks up the ground stations. The 1050 was working on the ground, this was the first chance I had to to test the 978.

Attachments

• IMG_0210.jpg
    IMG_0210.jpg
    682 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0212.jpg
    IMG_0212.jpg
    609.8 KB · Views: 33

Actually i think I found my problem, ipad has to have airplane mode switched then enable only wifi... Works like a champ

Actually i think I found my problem, ipad has to have airplane mode switched then enable only wifi... Works like a champ

Try v0.4r4, if you've been following the issues the GPS connected to the serial triggered some bug in Raspbian, which is fixed now.

Try v0.4r4, if you've been following the issues the GPS connected to the serial triggered some bug in Raspbian, which is fixed now.

Already installed and now the dropping heartbeat issue is back

I think I am just going to pull out the GPS chip and just have it as a receiver only, it was always better before the chip was added

Already installed and now the dropping heartbeat issue is back

I think I am just going to pull out the GPS chip and just have it as a receiver only, it was always better before the chip was added

Is your issue only with WingX? I think that's the only app that isn't well integrated yet.

Is your issue only with WingX? I think that's the only app that isn't well integrated yet.

Very possible ... At least is Hilton working with the developers over at github.

Back