My Attempt at a $115 ADS-B Receiver Build for Foreflight

Very possible ... At least is Hilton working with the developers over at github.

I am now suspecting its WingX on the iPhone only issue, had it running against iPhone and iPad at the same time and iPhone lost the heartbeat while iPad didnt

Puzzled as to why the different.

Hey guys been watching this thread for awhile. Just started my build and took it to Memphis airport for a test today. Weather worked great, however with the traffic I was only able to see one aircraft and it was on 980 UAT. I figured with all of the FedEx aircraft around I would have seen some 1090 traffic but I don't believe that that part is working. Just curious about yalls thoughts on what I should try next. I live in the Memphis area and hear about people seeing the 1090 traffic from inside their home but not me. I am using the Reddit instruction for the dual band. Only difference is I got an anker e5 battery instead of the kmashi. It works well and the power light never flickers with it. Also both usb dongles are lit up and I was seeing two towers during the test. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey guys been watching this thread for awhile. Just started my build and took it to Memphis airport for a test today. Weather worked great, however with the traffic I was only able to see one aircraft and it was on 980 UAT. I figured with all of the FedEx aircraft around I would have seen some 1090 traffic but I don't believe that that part is working. Just curious about yalls thoughts on what I should try next. I live in the Memphis area and hear about people seeing the 1090 traffic from inside their home but not me. I am using the Reddit instruction for the dual band. Only difference is I got an anker e5 battery instead of the kmashi. It works well and the power light never flickers with it. Also both usb dongles are lit up and I was seeing two towers during the test. Any advice would be appreciated.

Do you have both 1090 and 978 enabled on the web interface settings page?

Ok excuse my ignorance but how do I do that? I'm not sure what you mean by web interface settings page.

Ok excuse my ignorance but how do I do that? I'm not sure what you mean by web interface settings page.

Use your browser, go to 192.168.10.1 then select settings from the menu

Thanks gang! I enabled it and immediately I can see one target at 430. That's from my living room and it's the only aircraft I can see however at this time of the night there's not much going on here. Thanks again

Hey guys just got my 3D printed case. The long version with the airplane on top. Anyone mind taking a pic and showing how you fit everything? Also did you glue pi in or are there special screws to secure it to the new case? Thanks for the help.

Hey guys just got my 3D printed case. The long version with the airplane on top. Anyone mind taking a pic and showing how you fit everything? Also did you glue pi in or are there special screws to secure it to the new case? Thanks for the help.

I just used small screws to secure the PI to the bottom on the case, smaller length screws for the GPS chip on the top

I emailed you seperately Matt but for others, here it is...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    447.5 KB · Views: 102
@Scrabo: Someone recently posted a link to this USB GPS dongle as a simpler alternative to the RY835AI (if one did not want AHRS). Any thoughts as to how well this might work / fit in the case?

http://amzn.com/B00NWEEWW8

@Scrabo: Someone recently posted a link to this USB GPS dongle as a simpler alternative to the RY835AI (if one did not want AHRS). Any thoughts as to how well this might work / fit in the case?

http://amzn.com/B00NWEEWW8

Good question. The challenge has always been the 4 USB ports on the Pi, there is not enough spacing to allow multiple dongles like this to plug directly in to the ports, so short USB extension cables are required, which in turn eat up space within the case. Hence my radio receivers have their blue cases removed.

You might be able to remove the white plastic cover and attach it to the top of the case and run a USB cable back to the Pi.

Total external height of the case is 3cm, so allow for a few MM for the thickness of both sections of the case.

Other option is to mount it externally and run the USB cable thru the cutout on the top of the case.

If you do take the plastic case of that GPS, post a photo.

Hey Rick will that GPS work with the stratux code? Just curious they were saying the code is written for ublox based systems versus sirf based. Not sure which system the one you posted is. All that ublox vs sirf stuff is foreign to me. Thanks for everyone's helps.

Haven't seen attention called to it yet, but shut it down cleanly when done flying. If you continue just killing power, the SD disk can become corrupted.

Use an SSH app to connect to 192.168.10.1, user: pi and password: raspberry and enter the command "sudo halt". Wait a little after you see the green light blink 4 times and then it should be okay to pull the power.

The free app I use for SSH on iOS is called serverauditor.

Last edited:
Haven't seen attention called to it yet, but shut it down cleanly when done flying. If you continue just killing power, the SD disk can become corrupted.

Use an SSH app to connect to 192.168.10.1, user: pi and password: raspberry and enter the command "sudo halt". Wait a little after you see the green light blink 4 times and then it should be okay to pull the power.

The free app I use for SSH on iOS is called serverauditor.

That seems like a huge PIA. Would it not be possible to have shutdown button that ran a shutdown common on the pi? It's just a single command line.

Ok, I pulled this apart because the charging port- a kinda flimsy surface mounted micro USB port got pushed in and broke. I've ordered a new connector from amazon and I'm hoping I can solder a new one on.

Unit comes apart very easily, there are 3 torx screws under the rubber feet, then a fourth hiding under the sticker. Then it's just a single circuit board connected to a small battery pack. Fairly underwhelming really, lots of extra space in the housing too.

So where's the antenna? Would love avoid the external antenna add-ons to SDRs and just enclose it in whatever structure I ultimately use to keep it the least messy. Right now, Scrabo's dual rubber ducky version looks the neatest at maybe a slight decrease in sensitivity compared to the clunky standard antenna.

Last edited:
I have Stratux successfully running with Avnav.

Android here....

So far, I've purchased Garmin Pilot, used it for a year, and like it.........but it is expensive.
Avare.........weak, but cheap....even a forming a simple flightplan is a huge chore.
FltPlan GO........cumbersome, but some great features. I like that Canada is included.

Avnav.............best of the bunch.......fairly priced at $5/month.......simple flight plans like KBFI SEA V23 BTG KPDX instantly formed. AND it does STRATUX, with no add ons. All charts geo-referenced.

I don't do iAnything.

Magazine Article Comments

I have the first 2/3 of a magazine article done and the only thing remaining is to construct the antenna and do the photo work.

I'd appreciate any comments, remembering that this article is for a person who has never even READ anything about ADS-B.

Also, if any of you have BONEHEAD SIMPLE photographs or images you think might illustrate the article I'd be happy to give you full photo credit. Send to jim@rstengineering.com and I'll respond as to whether I can use them or not.

Thanks,

Jim

Attachments

• KPtext.doc
    36 KB · Views: 35
It's referred to as dual band extended or long case.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1016829

Just picked up my case. Now to put everything together.

There's no airvents on the bottom of the case - have you had any heat problems with that?

What size screws/whatever for the RPi (4 of them)? For the time being, I'm going to keep the top * bottom together with a couple rubber bands unless you suggest otherwise.

tanks

Well everyone I got everything put together. Despite using Jb weld on the gps micro usb it broke. After hooking everything up and putting the case together the top of the pi usb was pushing on the micro usb plug which was connected to the gps unit. It ended up being enough pressure to break it. Anyways tonight I soldered up the gps board and used jumper wires suggested on Reddit to connect to the appropriate gpio pins. Amazingly everything worked as designed. Had 12 satellites within one minute and the ahrs worked as designed. Now my only problem is the case will not fit together with the jumper wires in place. Going to have to find another case design or see if I can get a spacer made to make this one taller. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
80a5b8e8b113f4d5deb190529f0f0fb5.jpg
80dc740addbf610cbb3d9b44df79832d.jpg
e7ccf38414b47042c0f6faf342eccbf1.jpg

Well everyone I got everything put together. Despite using Jb weld on the gps micro usb it broke. After hooking everything up and putting the case together the top of the pi usb was pushing on the micro usb plug which was connected to the gps unit. It ended up being enough pressure to break it. Anyways tonight I soldered up the gps board and used jumper wires suggested on Reddit to connect to the appropriate gpio pins. Amazingly everything worked as designed. Had 12 satellites within one minute and the ahrs worked as designed. Now my only problem is the case will not fit together with the jumper wires in place. Going to have to find another case design or see if I can get a spacer made to make this one taller. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
80a5b8e8b113f4d5deb190529f0f0fb5.jpg

80dc740addbf610cbb3d9b44df79832d.jpg

e7ccf38414b47042c0f6faf342eccbf1.jpg

What antenna cables are you using? Where'd you get them?

The antennas are from digikey. Tried to post a link here but it wouldn't work. I'll keep trying.

So how far over the $115 are we now with the dual receivers, rubber antennas, AHRS, GPS, case and who knows what else?

So how far over the $115 are we now with the dual receivers, rubber antennas, AHRS, GPS, case and who knows what else?
I am sitting at $160 total for mine. Dual band, larger battery pack, Auckey 12v-usb adapter, built my own vintage case or of balsa wood and stained it.

Add ahrs, $45. Antennas, $24. Case, $35. I spent $14 or so on my case so that is a $21 difference. So... $250ish all decked out with a bigger battery and high amp 12v adapter.

Anyone else have better numbers?

Joshua

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I'm hovering around $150. I did get the AHRS/GPS chip but figured the second antenna to add 1090ES wouldn't give me enough extra. I decided, though to add a small cooling fan.

It's a toy to me (since I have a Stratus 2) primarily for local and instructional use so I'm planning on the 3D printed box route - I figured foam core and duct tape would be more appropriate :D and might do that.

Last edited:
I'm hovering around $150. I did get the AHRS/GPS chip but figured the second antenna to add 1090ES wouldn't give me enough extra. I decided, though to add a small cooling fan.

It's a toy to me (since I have a Stratus 2) primarily for local and instructional use so I'm planning on the 3D printed box route - I figured foam core and duct tape would be more appropriate :D and might do that.

I am about $160 but that includes two printed cases... with the original battery - I never upgraded the battery and just used ships power.

I'm running the original set up in the first pages of this thread.. No GPS and only 978 .. I only receive traffic when I'm near someone with ADSB out.. If I add the 1090 secondary dongle will it possibly improve my tapping into their signal enabling ne to see other tragic around me or merely just see the larger jets? I really like the traffic feature when I can tap into it I just want to improve on that if possible thanks

I'm running the original set up in the first pages of this thread.. No GPS and only 978 .. I only receive traffic when I'm near someone with ADSB out.. If I add the 1090 secondary dongle will it possibly improve my tapping into their signal enabling ne to see other tragic around me or merely just see the larger jets? I really like the traffic feature when I can tap into it I just want to improve on that if possible thanks

I believe that adding the 1090 will increase traffic display in the areas with TIS-A traffic (from radar) in place. This is the traffic service you get from (for example) the Garmin 330 (non-ES), now.

This traffic system is being phased out, but still has pretty good coverage in larger terminal areas.

I believe that adding the 1090 will increase traffic display in the areas with TIS-A traffic (from radar) in place. This is the traffic service you get from (for example) the Garmin 330 (non-ES), now.

This traffic system is being phased out, but still has pretty good coverage in larger terminal areas.

I don't believe it picks up the TIS-b info, just the output of Mode S transponders wit ES operating on 1090. So you'll see aircraft that are transmitting position data but not the ground feed that TIS provides.

I don't believe it picks up the TIS-b info, just the output of Mode S transponders wit ES operating on 1090. So you'll see aircraft that are transmitting position data but not the ground feed that TIS provides.
But I can run them both at the same time correct?

But I can run them both at the same time correct?

Yes. But you will not see all the traffic, only those planes transmitting position. If I'm not mistakes, when the FAA changes thei policy next year the 978 systems should see what the TIS shows.

All I know is this thing works great.. and If adding that will be better I'm all for it! Thanks guys!

Anyone worried about the possibility of starting a fire, probably very remote, using some of our jury-rigged enclosures?

Just put together my statux with 2 SDRs using the latest image software and it connected perfectly to FLYQ 2.1.1. The initial and only flight seemed uneventful but got loads of traffic and metars in severe clear weather.

I had gone to the local Home Depot and picked up two possible enclosures to play with. Husky made a plastic 7 inch long box that looked like I could do something with it. But I also picked up a Husky circular tool bag. Since it was easy and I was anxious to fly, I stuffed all the components vertically connected with short cables, the Pie itself in its plastic case, and an Ankar battery. The base of the stock antennas fit in an outside pocket and and the shafts were vertically supported by a purse string on either side of the tool bag. It has a cloth handle that was used to suspend the conglomeration from the baggage compartment clothes hanging loop in my Archer. Pretty nifty as it stays plumb during most flight maneuvers. While the bag itself may be canvass, the inner lining is made of material cloth mesh, and the top of the bag left open.

As I was about to leave on a long trip, leaving the stratux unattended during flight in the baggage compartment, unreachable and out of my scan gave me pause.
Any thoughts?

Anyone worried about the possibility of starting a fire, probably very remote, using some of our jury-rigged enclosures?

Just put together my statux with 2 SDRs using the latest image software and it connected perfectly to FLYQ 2.1.1. The initial and only flight seemed uneventful but got loads of traffic and metars in severe clear weather.

I had gone to the local Home Depot and picked up two possible enclosures to play with. Husky made a plastic 7 inch long box that looked like I could do something with it. But I also picked up a Husky circular tool bag. Since it was easy and I was anxious to fly, I stuffed all the components vertically connected with short cables, the Pie itself in its plastic case, and an Ankar battery. The base of the stock antennas fit in an outside pocket and and the shafts were vertically supported by a purse string on either side of the tool bag. It has a cloth handle that was used to suspend the conglomeration from the baggage compartment clothes hanging loop in my Archer. Pretty nifty as it stays plumb during most flight maneuvers. While the bag itself may be canvass, the inner lining is made of material cloth mesh, and the top of the bag left open.

As I was about to leave on a long trip, leaving the stratux unattended during flight in the baggage compartment, unreachable and out of my scan gave me pause.
Any thoughts?

If you're worried about fire make sure whatever case you make will fit out of the side window. I would keep it on the dash chances are thats the only place it will get a good signal anyway.

Last edited:
Couple of quick questions re: FlyQefb

I'm sing the latest Stratux FW v. 0.5b1 with a single antenna (2nd one on order)
(I also ordered the RY835AI GPS chip yesterday)
Using FlyQefb v. 2.1.1
iOS 9.1 on an Ipad air

I am also using a Dual XGPS 170 as a control to verify readings.

Issues encountered thus far:

1. With only the Stratux connected to the ipad, I get both traffic and weather as expected on the MAP screen. If I tap the weather tab at the bottom fo FlyQ and pull down to refresh, my weather info doesn't update and never does. So I cannot get the Local/Regional/National weather or the METARS and TAFS.
Is this a FlyQ problem? or a connection problem with stratux?

2. When I connect the Dual via blutooth for GPS info only, and the Stratux via WiFi another weird thing happens.
The GPS icon at the top of FlyQ menu stays Purple and when tapped the GPS source reads iPad (even though settings on iPad indicate Dual is connected, the Dual receiver BT light remains Blue and confirmed with the Dual ADS->B status app.) Hopefully the RY835AI chip will solve this problem. But why isn't the iPad indicating the source GPS info from the Dual? Or am I not allowed to have two different sources connected to the FlyQ app?

I will post this over at the reddit forum as well to see what they have to say.

Thanks for looking

john

Back