My Attempt at a $115 ADS-B Receiver Build for Foreflight

Discussion in 'Technical Corner' started by JoseCuervo, Aug 17, 2015.

1. BrianNC

BrianNC En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    BrianATL
    Yeah, I figured there was no weather due to something like that.

I'm using FF. It had all arrow heads for traffic and then a diamond popped. Didn't really have time to figure out the difference. All the traffic I saw though I believe was airline. Don't think I saw any GA. Well come to think of it maybe I did. I do recall a couple of N numbers as opposed to flight numbers. But they were still pretty high altitude.

Not sure exactly what you mean by 'hockey puck' though even with the explanation.

So how do you configure the iPad for 'ownership' tail number? I've never heard of doing that.

2. murphey

murphey Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    murphey
    Foreflight has extensive documentation in the user manual. Unfortunately, I can't find equivalent info for WingX. Anyone got a link?

3. denverpilot

denverpilot Tied Down PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    They have not seen fit to create a proper user manual, AFAIK. About all they have that's official is online videos. Most of those are pretty moldy, but do seem to cover the specifics of new features as they were added.

Someone posted his open-source WingX user manual here a while back. Lots of people seem to like it. It'd take too much flipping apps to find that on my phone, but there's a thread on it. Search should find it.

I think the author of the unofficial manual mentioned once that he'd been approached by Hilton to make it into something more official, but I never saw any follow up to that. I might be imagining that.

You know, modern software development and all... who needs a properly written manual? ;) It's all just "intuitive" now. :) :) :)

4. BrianNC

BrianNC En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    BrianATL
  5. murphey

murphey Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    murphey
  6. ElPaso Pilot

ElPaso Pilot Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    ElPaso Pilot
    Here is one of several sites that explain it. This is the first google hit I found.

Note the three scenarios. It is important you understand this, and ask again if you don't, since you will only be experiencing scenario 1 and 2 with ADS-B in. Both 1 and 2 will have traffic that will not be visible to you on your device. Thank the FAA for intentionally crippling a safety system to force conversion to ADS-B out.

http://cincinnatiavionics.com/understanding-ads-b-traffic/

denverpilot and BrianNC like this.
  7. EppyGA

EppyGA Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Let's Fly
  8. EppyGA

EppyGA Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Let's Fly
  9. BrianNC

BrianNC En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    BrianATL
  10. bluesideup

bluesideup Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    bluesideup
    Hi.
    I am not sure that any of the above mentioned / external power back up batteries will do the job. I have one that was / rated / overrated at 50000mAh and it's only good for about 5hrs.
    With 2 SDRs/ DVBTs and just the Pi3B board you are looking at about 800-1000mAh power draw. The best way to do it for long trips is to plug it into the cigarette lighter, or use a large external battery under the seat. One note of caution, if you use a USB adapter into your cig. lighter make sure it's rated for at least 1Amp, most are 500mA, also some birds / Cessnas have 24VDC systems.

11. BrianNC

BrianNC En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    BrianATL
    I inadvertently came across the answer to this watching a Youtube video on the Lynx L3. Diamond shape is TAS traffic and the arrowhead is ADS-B traffic.

denverpilot likes this.
  12. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    True TAS only, or just anything received on the Mode-S frequency side? (TAS means it can interrogate other transponders, which is the basis for TCAS...)

13. BrianNC

BrianNC En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    BrianATL
    Not sure. Not long after he said what I quoted up there, he then said this:

"...it's an open diamond and that's active traffic. We're not receiving him [unintelligible] B, or ADS-B because he's not equipped, but we're surveilling him with the active traffic system."

I don't really know what that means since I'm not really familiar with this.

denverpilot likes this.
  14. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot
    LOL. It's kinda gobbledegook. At least by the real acronyms. (And those are a pile of gobbledegook too. Haha.)

15. exncsurfer

exncsurfer Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    exncsurfer
    For anyone using Avare and Stratux, is the weather just imported as it is received by the stratux or do you have to 'get' the weather as you do with an internet connection?