My Attempt at a $115 ADS-B Receiver Build for Foreflight

I flew Huntsville to Pensacola using my RPi ADSB and saw all the traffic. There was no weather but on the flight back tomorrow I'll look for metars.

Must picked these up from amazon, you cant tell from thr photo but ones left 90 degree and one right 90, trying to tidy ot up a bit

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 52
Those 19mm header pins were a little big:
http://imgur.com/a/wHvS0

The 11mm ones seemed more reasonable:
http://imgur.com/IX8aFh5

So I snapped off the appropriate length (number of pins):
http://imgur.com/WOg30LE

Set them in the GPS (RY835AI):
http://imgur.com/tnnXXuc

Cobbed some solder on the backside (my first solder job ever, hard to believe):
http://imgur.com/yz0tzmB

...but up top it looked purdy:
http://imgur.com/jLxGTSB

...and when the jumper wires come in, I'll hook up like this:
http://imgur.com/JS0ZDXJ

Last edited:
I flew Huntsville to Pensacola using my RPi ADSB and saw all the traffic. There was no weather but on the flight back tomorrow I'll look for metars.

Any pictures or screenshots?

Cgrab, was this due to your not having a transponder for ADS-B ? If you had lots of traffic there should have been some weather out there somewhere. Do you have a single dongle configuration?

Cgrab, was this due to your not having a transponder for ADS-B ? If you had lots of traffic there should have been some weather out there somewhere. Do you have a single dongle configuration?
ADS-B out is needed to get reliable traffic but weather is available without any ADS-B out equipped airplanes in the area.

Yesterdays flight from PNS to HSV I saw traffic and was able to read NOTAMs and PIREPs. There was no traffic around me to see. This is definitely influencing my choice of an ADSB box. I am now leaning towards a ADSB out only box instead of an out and in box.

No screen shots but I did get a picture of the box and will post it.

Last edited:
5:15pm 9-21-15 my stratux system has become self adware..

Attachments

• IMAG1778.jpg
    IMAG1778.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 110
I'm now USB 2.0 and not having any disconnect issues today!

Also... saw this! How strange! I'm at about 1,000 MSL. I saw traffic 37,000 feet up! FlightRadar24 verified it.

Screenshot_2015-09-21-18-04-40.png

Yesterdays flight from PNS to HSV I saw traffic and was able to read NOTAMs and PIREPs. There was no traffic around me to see. This is definitely influencing my choice of an ADSB box. I am now leaning towards a ADSB out only box instead of an out and in box.

No screen shots but I did get a picture of the box and will post it.
Have you gone into 192.168.10.1 and enabled traffic, and then enabled in whatever app you're using?

OK! I built the Stratus knock off and took it for a test flight today. It did not show any traffic nor did it show any weather! Although, it was pretty hard to see the iPad because of the bright sun in the cockpit, not even a contrail deep up in the sky.

Alright, before you respond with “You dumb ass did you …....?” , I am pulling your chain. :rolleyes:

I had the “show tower” option set and flew to one of the two towers I was receiving and I was able to distinguish the ADS-B tower from a cell tower about 500' away from it. I will wait until there is some weather in the area and I can see what is painted on the Fore Flight screen.

I would add a photo, but don't see an option for that??

Last edited:
Have you gone into 192.168.10.1 and enabled traffic, and then enabled in whatever app you're using?

Is this stuff on by default?. I have the traffic and pirep options showing but have not seen anything I'm not getting weather either but it says I have 0 towers. I should still see traffic thought???

Go and see! Open a browser, and type in the address bar at the top 192.168.10.1 and press enter. I'm not sure what's on by default, but I went there to turn on my GPS and 1090ES.

Traffic, if they have ADS-B out, you might see them. Right, weather comes from the towers...

yah, keep checking for traffic. Some days, you'd think airplanes don't exist. Some days, they seem like they're all over. Today was like that, I was seeing traffic so far away it made me doubt I was seeing them!

Another new beta released tonight - v0.3b4GPS message replay log.
  • UAT signal strength logging.
  • /var/log/stratux.log - added periodic status updates (CPU temp, GPS info, etc.)
  • Improved queue/memory management.
  • Go1.5.1 (dev).

• /var/log/stratux.log - added periodic status updates (CPU temp, GPS info, etc.)
  • Go1.5.1 (dev).

Do I have to format the sd card before updating or will it just write over/edit the last version?

Mine is completely assembled! Now I just need to figure out a case to get it all packaged nicely.

Attachments

• IMAG1781.jpg
    IMAG1781.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 110
  • IMAG1785.jpg
    IMAG1785.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 79
Mine is completely assembled! Now I just need to figure out a case to get it all packaged nicely.

Very cool!

GPS and AHRS working?

Any chance you could point me to a good reddit post on hooking up the AHRS chip?

Everything seems good so far!! I haven't taken it on a flight yet because I don't have a case I may just steal some of my wife's Tupperware for the time being hahaha.

Here are screen shots of what I used to hook the wires up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-21-12-23-25.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-21-12-23-25.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot_2015-09-26-14-55-42.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-26-14-55-42.png
    320.1 KB · Views: 87
  • Screenshot_2015-09-26-15-07-06.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-26-15-07-06.png
    290.8 KB · Views: 83
Here is a picture of mine on the glare shield.

The box came from Sain and has a built in fan. I don't know if I'm going to take off the protective paper over the lexan or not. It is 6 pieces that snap together and the board srews onto the bottom.

Attachments

• Stratux.jpg
    Stratux.jpg
    654.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Go1.5.1 (dev).

I see that there are now 4 betas listed past the "latest release".

I currently am running the latest release (v0.2r1). Are the betas more-or-less ready to use, or are they up there just for testing? Should I stick with what I have until the next non-beta release?

I see that there are now 4 betas listed past the "latest release".

I currently am running the latest release (v0.2r1). Are the betas more-or-less ready to use, or are they up there just for testing? Should I stick with what I have until the next non-beta release?

I did a test flight the other evening - I was a passenger on a cross country flight that was about an hour each way. My friend has a glass panel with all the bells and whistles so I was able to compare my display with his.

I used the latest beta with WingX on the way out and ForeFlight on the way back. The GPS data is from the RY835AI GPS/AHRS add-on with the AHRS part not set up yet.

The WingX results were rock solid; the ForeFlight results were mixed in ways that others have reported with even the complete releases and may have been user error.

Here's a screen capture of the WingX outbound route:
150928%20StratuxWingX.png

which AHRS?

The RY835AI chip folks have been ordering through eBay.
It has GPS, AHRS and other functionality (I'm too lazy to look up on my phone).

I have the chip. My connectors arrive tomorrow; so, I'll get to try my hand at soldering... :goofy:

The RY835AI chip folks have been ordering through eBay.
It has GPS, AHRS and other functionality (I'm too lazy to look up on my phone).

I have the chip. My connectors arrive tomorrow; so, I'll get to try my hand at soldering... :goofy:

I now have both but may not use the headers on the RY835AI chip, just soldered the wires directly to the chip as the case I have printing may not accommodate them :(

I now have both but may not use the headers on the RY835AI chip, just soldered the wires directly to the chip as the case I have printing may not accommodate them :(

Which case are you printing?

Hey everyone, seeing as this thread is now almost a month and a half old, should I go through the while thread or is there a better repository of info that is up to date without having to go through this entire 36 page thread (which I will do if I need to)?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Steve, did you go in and configure you're GPS chip to the nav rate of 10hz? I saw something about the update taking care of it but when I hooked it to the lap top it was at 1hz? It seems to be a non issue here on the ground.

Did you already order it? Can you get a better deal if you get two?

Trigger already pulled. Person I talked to was curious what it was for as there were 4 in the queue ahead of me for the same case.

Trigger already pulled. Person I talked to was curious what it was for as there were 4 in the queue ahead of me for the same case.

This kind of thing is best done in a group buy. I guess shipping could get messy though. I say one awesome case for a dual setup with the different antennas connected on the sides. It looked perfect but I can't find it again for the life of me. Who are you having print it out?

Back