Multi Engine Time Building

Pierce Warren

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Pierce-Tulsa
Hi all, I'm located in Tulsa, OK. I have my Commercial Multi but need to build about 30 more hours of multi time to get to a job I'm wanting.

I know Lease a Plane at KRVS has a seminole and I've flown it a couple hours. With an instructor, it is about $350 an hour. They won't let you rent it alone. Additionally, it is constantly down for maintenance.

My questions are:

1. Do people just pay $10k to get 30 hours of multi and it is what it is? Was hoping to find someone else who wants to split the time building.
2. Does anyone know anyone who would let me sit right seat in their multi and build time. I would pay for gas.
3. Does anyone know anywhere else nearby that rents a multi that is available more often than Lease a Plane?

I am already aware of Chickasha Wings near OKC. Heard some mixed reviews on that.

Thanks!

Hi all, I'm located in Tulsa, OK. I have my Commercial Multi but need to build about 30 more hours of multi time to get to a job I'm wanting.

I know Lease a Plane at KRVS has a seminole and I've flown it a couple hours. With an instructor, it is about $350 an hour. They won't let you rent it alone. Additionally, it is constantly down for maintenance.

My questions are:

1. Do people just pay $10k to get 30 hours of multi and it is what it is? Was hoping to find someone else who wants to split the time building.
2. Does anyone know anyone who would let me sit right seat in their multi and build time. I would pay for gas.
3. Does anyone know anywhere else nearby that rents a multi that is available more often than Lease a Plane?

I am already aware of Chickasha Wings near OKC. Heard some mixed reviews on that.

Thanks!
Most people make that time by getting their MEI, doing multi-engine check-outs, IPCs, and eventually multi-engine training. some find angel multi-engine owners to log time with. Finally, others will pair up with another time building pilot and do simulated instrument time, swapping off between safety pilot and pilot flying. As long as the safety pilot is acting as PIC, both pilots may log PIC time while the flying pilot is under the hood.

Most people make that time by getting their MEI, doing multi-engine check-outs, IPCs, and eventually multi-engine training. some find angel multi-engine owners to log time with. Finally, others will pair up with another time building pilot and do simulated instrument time, swapping off between safety pilot and pilot flying. As long as the safety pilot is acting as PIC, both pilots may log PIC time while the flying pilot is under the hood.
MEI requires 15 hours PIC Multi time - which is also not terribly easy to get... Speaking of, if the OP finds a twin and wants to fly up to WI I'd be happy to split time for about 10 hours :)

Teaching in a multi requires 5 hours in type as well, so you may be type limited until you can find hours in many multi's. It's a tough rating monetarily.

There is literally 1 multi in all of Tulsa that is used for instructing (not Part 141). So there isn't much opportunity for multi instructing. If you add OKC in the mix, you get 2 planes total lol Just trying to see if anyone knows of anyone or a plane that is slightly more reliable than the current situation. Splitting time is also nicer on the wallet of course!

MEI requires 15 hours PIC Multi time - which is also not terribly easy to get... Speaking of, if the OP finds a twin and wants to fly up to WI I'd be happy to split time for about 10 hours :)

Teaching in a multi requires 5 hours in type as well, so you may be type limited until you can find hours in many multi's. It's a tough rating monetarily.
OP says he needs 30 more hours, so I assume have has about 20 hours of multi already, probably 5-10 hours as PIC.

Nitpick - 5 hours in type is only required if teaching toward a rating. 61.195f. It doesn't apply if you're doing instrument refreshers, flight reviews, new avionics training, etc. Whether or not it's wise to do these things in an airplane type you've never been in is situation-dependent and a different discussion, but it's legal.

If you add OKC in the mix, you get 2 planes total lol

Your information is not correct. Depending on how large you consider the OKC "area", I count 6. Whether any of these are available for solo rental I do not know.

I know there is a Seminole at HSD being used for instruction by two independent CFIs.
I think there is still a Baron at HSD with Alto.
There is a Diamond DA-42 at PWA with Oklahoma Aviation.
There is another Seminole at PWA with Volar.
Guthrie has an Apache at Crabtree.
And CHK has the Apache you mentioned.

Last edited:

My questions are:

Thanks!

Was told Sunday there's a twin @ 2H2 (Aurora, MO) for rent. No idea its status or requirements.

marc

Most airlines will hire you with only 25 hours. I had about half from my rating and the other half was a mixture of rental and being a safety pilot for other pilots that owned twins.

Back