Movin' to Texas

Good luck with that. LOL. I'm not going to speed up just so the guy behind me can go past. If the car to my right is keeping pace with me then he's in the wrong lane.
No, you are. The law and the logic for moving over has already been cited. The only reason to stay in the left is because, dammit! I guess some folks just enjoy forcing others to respect their authoritay. For those, I suggest you earn a badge and some flashing lights and take care of it for real.

I forgot about that. It is one of my prime exports. That and screaming mushrooms.

Also if I get the offer, I think it'd be a great experience in building my reputation and having hands on management experience. Never been to Wisconsin though.
WRT Wisconsin:

On the plus side, you'll be near Oshkosh (and the greatest show on Earth), and it's an incredibly gorgeous state from June through September.

On the down side, you'll be colder than you ever thought possible in winter.

I lived there from 1958 - 1997.

No, you are. The law and the logic for moving over has already been cited. The only reason to stay in the left is because, dammit! I guess some folks just enjoy forcing others to respect their authoritay. For those, I suggest you earn a badge and some flashing lights and take care of it for real.

The irony being, if you speak to legitimate and qualified peace officers, they'll tell you that speed doesn't (by itself) kill- it's collisions and conflict that does that - exactly the ill that the right of way law is crafted to cure. There will, sadly, always be those who are convinced that they are the anointed ones who get to choose which laws will be respected, and which will be ignored.

If you sit in the left lane with traffic backed up behind you in GA, you'll get a ticket.

There will, sadly, always be those who are convinced that they are the anointed ones who get to choose which laws will be respected, and which will be ignored.

And they self identify by exceeding the posted speed limit because they are in the so-called "fast lane"?

It has been a while, I'm glad I'm not rusty!

Also it's about 50 mins to Denton Auto Salvage from here according to Google without traffic. Hmm
You would not want to drive from Arlington to Denton and back everyday.

And they self identify by exceeding the posted speed limit because they are in the so-called "fast lane"?

Some do, no doubt; others (and this is a much bigger problem) self-identify by refusing to obey the right of way law.

Used to do Denton to UTA to General Dynamics to Denton six days a week and Denton to GD to Denton on the seventh...The key to doing it and not going bonkers is timing....

This thread is officially multi-threaded

Used to do Denton to UTA to General Dynamics to Denton six days a week and Denton to GD to Denton on the seventh...The key to doing it and not going bonkers is timing....
An airplane may be a better option...

If you sit in the left lane with traffic backed up behind you in GA, you'll get a ticket.

Quite properly so.

People who hog the left lane because they "are going the speed limit" are breaking the law, are rude and ignorant, and are a cause of accidents, and deserve an expensive ticket.

Arlington, edge of E Ft Worth

That's less than 30 miles to my location. But it is in an odd spot with very little direct routing. And construction everywhere adds to the "fun". Anyhow, come up and hang with us at East Side and I'll tell you what I got going on.

That's less than 30 miles to my location. But it is in an odd spot with very little direct routing. And construction everywhere adds to the "fun". Anyhow, come up and hang with us at East Side and I'll tell you what I got going on.

Sure thing. Name a day and I'm down!

An airplane may be a better option...
Wish I could have. Had a 7 am class at UTA and had to be at work at GD by 3 pm to get a parking spot...back in those days we had almost 33,000 people in the facility, with 98% working between 7 am and midnight. Classes were 2 days a week, 3 days a week in the research lab, library on Saturday and 7 days a week at work. Left the house at 5 am on most days and got home about 1:30 am. I did that for nearly 17 months before I moved back into Fort Worth again.

Quite properly so.

People who hog the left lane because they "are going the speed limit" are breaking the law, are rude and ignorant, and are a cause of accidents, and deserve an expensive ticket.

And often cause road rage. Even shots may be fired, and have.

It is actually pretty simple; if you're in the left lane on a multi-lane road, there is faster traffic coming up behind you and you can safely yield right of way by changing lanes to the right, you are obligated to do so, without regard for your speed or the speed of the traffic approaching from the rear. If (on the other hand) you are already passing traffic on your right at a reasonable speed (ie, you aren't pokeying along), you have no problems, because you're already passing - you're in the right (on the left). Of course, when your pass is done, and you can safely change lanes to the right and thus allow passing traffic to go by you, you should do so.

If I'm driving faster than those in the right lane (and therefore passing them) but slower than you, am I obligated to slow down and get out of your way? No, but you're still going to be ****ed because I'm in the left driving slower than you are. If not you, then others. I've seen them, right on my bumper so tight that if I let my foot off the accelerator, there would be contact.

I-95 coming south out of DC is especially bad about this. In most parts there are only 3 lanes and the speed limit is 65. The right line goes about 65, the middle lane around 70 and the left lane fluctuates between 75 and 90+, depending on who is trying to bully their way through.

Should the driver going 75 slow down and get out of the way of the driver who wants to go 100?

Should the driver going 75 slow down and get out of the way of the driver who wants to go 100?

This really isn't rocket science. If you're in the left lane and you're going faster than those in the right lane, then no you don't have to move over. So to answer your question NO if you're going faster than the person in the right lane.

HOWEVER, if you're only going 1 mph faster than the person in the right lane then you're being a DICK, pure and simple, but yes legally you're okay.

I wish some of you arguing this point would go take a vacation in Europe and learn how to drive there. They get it.

If I'm driving faster than those in the right lane (and therefore passing them) but slower than you, am I obligated to slow down and get out of your way? No, but you're still going to be ****ed because I'm in the left driving slower than you are.

If you're passing (and assuming you aren't just poking along mindlessly, which is another thing entirely), then I have no real cause for complaint, here; this, assuming that when you've completed your pass and can safely return to the right lane, you do so.

If not you, then others. I've seen them, right on my bumper so tight that if I let my foot off the accelerator, there would be contact.

Yep. Seen it and (to be honest about it), used to be the guy who did that. Not so much any more, because life's too short (although one problem that crops up from time to time is that, when the left lane hog takes a very long time to pass, the guy behind him has to stay closer than perhaps he'd wish, or some other guy will charge up in the right lane and try to wedge in there at the front).

I-95 coming south out of DC is especially bad about this. In most parts there are only 3 lanes and the speed limit is 65. The right line goes about 65, the middle lane around 70 and the left lane fluctuates between 75 and 90+, depending on who is trying to bully their way through.

The fewer barriers to traffic, the better it works, and leave speed limit enforcement to the peace officers. Fact is, speed doesn't kill - it's the sudden stops that'll do that, and blocking passing traffic increases the chance of a "sudden stop" dramatically.

If he or she wants to promote safer roadways and avoid vehicular congestion and conflict, yes, or, if at 75 MPH, the driver is already passing the vehicles to his or her right, just keep on keepin' on until the pass is done, then move on over safely. Whichever works better for the situation.

###

These days, there is such a large proportion of people on the highways who are pacing traffic next to them, because they are paying mare attention to their cellphone than the road, and drivers with diminished attention tend to "cling" to adjacent cars, speeding up and slowing down with them, mindless of the crwod gathering behind them (or of much of anything else).

We do seem to have multiple lanes of conversation going here.

Bryan, OD, and I are talking about a meet up at www.eastsidedenton.com. One of our favorite local watering holes. Huge selection of beers and nearly as big of selection of whiskeys. And some good food trucks and nearby pizza joints for grub.

Snapdragons... I'm stuck in Detroit this weekend for a go-live. I won't be able to park my "happy ass" in the left lane and slow y'awl down.

Another call this morning for an Aircraft Records Analyst at DFW. If this keeps up, I'm not sure which one I'm going to take!

Bryan, OD, and I are talking about a meet up at www.eastsidedenton.com.

Sounds great to me, I'm incredibly flexible at least in the short term because unemployed and all. Although I can't drink much if anything, pretty low tolerance and I have a long way to drive to get home.

OD - are you in Arlington?

Well, updates - I was in the top 2 for the internship in Wisconsin but unfortunately they went with the other guy. The interviewer was really nice about it, said it was very close and a hard decision, and said that he'd like to refer me to other airports looking for candidates in his network. Said I interviewed really well, had a great resume and great grades.

Nothing back from DFW on either of the jobs there, but I'm still holding out hope. Home depot interview on Monday for a close place to get some income to survive in the meantime.

Stay determined!

Also, the guy I interviewed with at Home Depot the first time saw ERAU on my resume and said that he majored in aviation science himself and has an A&P (different college). Been working in retail for 10+ years.

So, it's update time!

I was one of two final candidates for the internship in Wisconsin and they picked the other guy because he had a little more experience while he was in college. I have applied to 4-5 airport operations/maintenance jobs in the area (Spinks/DFW/Meacham/Arlington Muni), some more than once. None have bit back. I applied to work at Cornerstone Air Center for line service at Meacham, had an interview the same day as the posting, and then could not ever get a response after being told they'd call back - they dropped me like a rock and refused to even give me the courtesy of telling me I didn't get the job or why.

On the way out of there I saw a big FBO getting built and looked for an opening for them online and found one within a few days for a line service tech.

After 3 interviews, this spastic mushroom has accepted a job offer for a line service tech position at American Aero at Meacham! The pay is actually great, it's full time and with benefits. And with actual tugs instead of golf carts, and wing walkers... it's going to be great. Home Depot wasn't quite as bad as expected, but I'm glad I'm moving on to the aviation field again. Fortunately the interviews went well and asked lots of questions about what happened in Denver and still chose to hire me which I am infinitely grateful for.

Any of you guys go through Meacham on a semi-regular basis? AirNav says 100LL is 5.79 / Jet-A is 4.79 without member pricing which is pretty steep. Shawnee is 100LL 4.18 / Jet-A 3.23.

Also, I applied for a job at Jeppesen as a Navigation/Information Analyst in Denver while I was there and they turned around about 5 months later and offered me an interview. I took a hard look but decided that with the cost of housing and everything else in Denver that it wouldn't be worth it to turn around and go back even including the marginally higher pay.

I go over it when heading southbound... That count?

Congrats on employment! Keep working hard and doing the extra bits that get you noticed for upward promotions. And work the angles with the pro pilots that pass through... I know of a few guys who were FBO rappers as they worked on the next rating, and used contacts they made with pilots to find themselves really good 135 jobs

Back