Movin' to Texas

Hope Texas is ready for me, about to cross the state line! Fiancé is staying in OK for surgery for a few more days so just me. Be gentle, interstates!

Good luck with your new adventure! Hope you find a kick ass job and settle into something you enjoy.

Well, here safe. I've been flipped off and yelled at more times in the first 30 mins of me being in Ft Worth than the rest of my life. Waiting for my renters insurance to clear and I'll be in. Gonna be a bit before I get a bed situated though. Also the apartment faces the freeway so I got that going for me. Which is nice.

Dude, that takes talent to have that happen in FTW. Dallas on the other hand ...

And remember you have to have a fiddle in the band. Seriously though you guys trying to help him out with a job that is first rate and makes me happy I am a part of this community

Left lane means nothing to Texans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nor in Alabama, and most states. Heard of a local cop pull someone over and issue a ticket for staying in the left in NJ. Locals I worked with said he was a prick though, but it is a state law, as it is in most states. Anyone remember Richard Petty coming up behind someone on I95 in NC and giving that car one of those 'it's just racin' bumps? Loved it!

Hope Texas is ready for me, about to cross the state line! Fiancé is staying in OK for surgery for a few more days so just me. Be gentle, interstates!

Howdy - Welcome to Texas!!

Not sure I get the "left lane" thing? Does that mean anything like the speed limit doesn't apply in that lane?

I'm sure all the FAR/AIM quote experts here will dig up the motor vehicle code that explains it all.

The usual explanations are: Slower traffic keep right and Keep right except to pass.

Neither cover yielding to drivers exceeding the posted speed limit.

Almost forgot: the fast lane and slow lane both move at the same speed as the rotation of the planet.

The usual explanations are: Slower traffic keep right and Keep right except to pass.

But you're slower! Outa my way! ;)

Used to be in Germany one could get a ticket for being in the left lane, and if a Ferrari going 150 hit you from behind you were at fault.

Used to be in Germany one could get a ticket for being in the left lane, and if a Ferrari going 150 hit you from behind you were at fault.
Can we rely on US laws?

In some countries (past and present) you could be executed for things that are perfectly acceptable here.

If you won't keep your wingless vehicle speed under the posted speed limit, how you doing on honoring the various regulations on winged vehicles?

So why are you hanging out in the left lane? Trying to be speed control? Bet you get or cause a lot of road rage. :rolleyes:

Btw I go no more than 10 over on the Interstate so not a speed demon. Had my share of speeding tickets over the years but they were always with 15 of the limit, usually 10.

Last edited:
In the "Keep right except to pass" places, I respect that signage. In the "Slower traffic keep right" places I drive the posted speed limit, since that is the maximum speed and I cannot be slower.

There are plenty of LEOs that read this forum. (LEO meaning Law Enforcement Officer) Would be nice to hear from them how they value the "Fast Lane" theory in their enforcement efforts.

Nor in Alabama, and most states. Heard of a local cop pull someone over and issue a ticket for staying in the left in NJ. Locals I worked with said he was a prick though, but it is a state law, as it is in most states. Anyone remember Richard Petty coming up behind someone on I95 in NC and giving that car one of those 'it's just racin' bumps? Loved it!

It's not a "law" in Oklahoma outside of slower traffic is supposed to keep to the center or right lanes of a multi-lane highway. It is generally courteous to move over for passing traffic in any of the 50 states, law or not. Dallas/Houston don't seem to care much for courteous behavior on the road, they just drive oblivious to everyone around them. So then the people who want to travel around them end up swerving across 2-3 lanes of traffic trying to navigate around the slow-pokes.

Not sure I get the "left lane" thing? Does that mean anything like the speed limit doesn't apply in that lane?

I'm sure all the FAR/AIM quote experts here will dig up the motor vehicle code that explains it all.

Almost forgot: the fast lane and slow lane both move at the same speed as the rotation of the planet.

Actually, "slower traffic keep right" and "keep right except to pass" DO cover yielding to traffic exceeding the posted speed limit. It doesn't say, "slower traffic keep right except when being overtaken by someone exceeding the speed limit". Unless you're a LEO, you have no authority to enforce speeding laws and doing so could land you in court, or worse, at the hands of someone with serious road rage.

Ohio and Nebraska have my vote for most people hanging out in the left lane for no good reason except that they're idiots and have a severe case of cranial rectitus.

I keep right, but I'm also a speed limit driver because I'm not stupid and time-speed-distance mathematically retarded. Nobody doing ten over is going to get anywhere significantly faster in minutes unless they're doing an all day drive, so most speeders are just ignorant idiots.

What's entertaining is when the right two or ten lanes are doing ten under and you're passing at the speed limit in the far left lane. Then you get dingle-**** doing 20 over who didn't see the traffic slowing because he can't see any further ahead than his front bumper, apparently, and he starts having a conniption flashing lights or whatever behind you.

Then you finish passing and move over and speeder-dumbass drives right up to the next person's bumper in the left lane, or better, starts that aforementioned by someone else, weaving, and generally acting like a ****-waffle, because you know, he's so important and has big places to be -- that he could have left 3 minutes earlier to start his drive to, and we'd both arrive at the same time.

**** speeders that act like that. Speeders who know how to do it, eh, I don't care. Go get a ticket. Will see ya at the off ramp stop light, and smile and wave.

I live in Plano and drive in the left lane exceeding the speed limit. My house is not worth $1M, nor are 90% of the houses in Plano.

There's no shortage of ignorant comments in this thread.

And remember you have to have a fiddle in the band.

6c8271fea37c508ba41c3757125b10414beea9a1ba6e67867de093d69fbfb386.gif

In all seriousness... yeah, I've learned from the experience and am ready to move forward. I appreciate everyone pitching in their two cents to help me realize what I could do better with and change in the future.

You need to post a pick of the KSNL tug. That thing is the business.

MirOcik.png

Also, my biggest mistake was getting in the left lane for a left lane exit in 1/2 mile in a construction zone with cops on the roadside and a speed limit of 40. I was doing 40, this lady came out of nowhere behind me and tailgated me, I took the exit and she turned completely away from the steering wheel with both hands making obscene gestures and turning red in the face.

I stick to speed limits and the right lane when I can because I can't afford tickets (especially now) and cops aren't as lenient as those long ago!

Ah yes... Road construction.
Our state flower is the orange traffic cone.

They are out en mass this year and truly beautiful.

In the "Keep right except to pass" places, I respect that signage. In the "Slower traffic keep right" places I drive the posted speed limit, since that is the maximum speed and I cannot be slower.

That is a violation, full-stop. The laws are independent ones, and for good cause.

Speed limits exist for the purpose of regulating speed to a speed which is generally reasonable and safe for the road as it is designed and constructed (except for that unfortunate, dark time when speed limits were arbitrarily reduced for the putative purpose of saving energy, and those unfortunate places where speed limits are set to speeds slower than appropriate for the roads).

Right of way laws (including "slower traffic keep right" and "left lane for passing") are intended t o promote the smoother flow of traffic by reducing the amount of conflict between vehicles. When a driver chooses to stay in the left and either (1) force other traffic to pass on the right, or (2) causes traffic to back up behind them because the right lane is blocked for passing, then a much more dangerous condition has been created, affecting many more drivers.

There are plenty of LEOs that read this forum. (LEO meaning Law Enforcement Officer) Would be nice to hear from them how they value the "Fast Lane" theory in their enforcement efforts.

It's not a "theory" for law enforcement;l it's a law.

And as previously requested, provide the motor vehicle code section that is being violated when traveling at the posted speed limit in any lane of a roadway.

If this was an aviation related thread we'd have FAR, AIM, and Advisory citations galore. But in defense of speeding it's all "blah, blah, blah, hurry up, stay out of my way gibberish without code cites.

Heck, I'll do it myself.

This is the Texas code: Is it your contention that 545.051 (b) allows for a "normal speed" greater than the posted speed limit?

SUBCHAPTER B. DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY AND PASSING

Sec. 545.051. DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY. (a) An operator on a roadway of sufficient width shall drive on the right half of the roadway, unless:
(1) the operator is passing another vehicle;
(2) an obstruction necessitates moving the vehicle left of the center of the roadway and the operator yields the right-of-way to a vehicle that:
(A) is moving in the proper direction on the unobstructed portion of the roadway; and
(B) is an immediate hazard;
(3) the operator is on a roadway divided into three marked lanes for traffic; or
(4) the operator is on a roadway restricted to one-way traffic.
(b) An operator of a vehicle on a roadway moving more slowly than the normal speed of other vehicles at the time and place under the existing conditions shall drive in the right-hand lane available for vehicles, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, unless the operator is:
(1) passing another vehicle; or
(2) preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
(c) An operator on a roadway having four or more lanes for moving vehicles and providing for two-way movement of vehicles may not drive left of the center line of the roadway except:
(1) as authorized by an official traffic-control device designating a specified lane to the left side of the center of the roadway for use by a vehicle not otherwise permitted to use the lane;
(2) under the conditions described by Subsection (a)(2); or
(3) in crossing the center line to make a left turn into or out of an alley, private road, or driveway.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

I live in Plano and drive in the left lane exceeding the speed limit. My house is not worth $1M, nor are 90% of the houses in Plano.

There's no shortage of ignorant comments in this thread.

Haha! The average home value in Plano is $289,500 for anyone who cares to find out with five minutes of googling. So yes, like many other topics discussed here and elsewhere on other forums there is a "healthy" amount of exaggeration. Plano is huge. There are rich parts, yes, but also poor parts. Look at Plano east of 75. Low cost housing right there.

If you want to look at REALLY expensive property in DFW with small lot sizes, look at Highland Park, Preston Hollow, University Park. There are areas there where the average home value is $5-$10 million. Plano is just a bedroom community a little closer than some but by no means a rich area in the grand scheme of things.

Plano is huge. There are rich parts, yes, but also poor parts. Look at Plano east of 75. Low cost housing right there.

East of 75? That's where Costco is! Not to mention Simon's Sushi down my the Fry's Electronics. Good stuff (but you're right, not many McMansions over there)

East of 75? That's where Costco is! Not to mention Simon's Sushi down my the Fry's Electronics. Good stuff (but you're right, not many McMansions over there)

Nope. Not quite McMansions. This is on Park, one of the main roads. East of 75. This is typical.

plano.jpg

And as previously requested, provide the motor vehicle code section that is being violated when traveling at the posted speed limit in any lane of a roadway.

If this was an aviation related thread we'd have FAR, AIM, and Advisory citations galore. But in defense of speeding it's all "blah, blah, blah, hurry up, stay out of my way gibberish without code cites.

Heck, I'll do it myself.

This is the Texas code: Is it your contention that 545.051 (b) allows for a "normal speed" greater than the posted speed limit?

SUBCHAPTER B. DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY AND PASSING
Sec. 545.051. DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY. (a) An operator on a roadway of sufficient width shall drive on the right half of the roadway, unless:
(1) the operator is passing another vehicle;
(2) an obstruction necessitates moving the vehicle left of the center of the roadway and the operator yields the right-of-way to a vehicle that:
(A) is moving in the proper direction on the unobstructed portion of the roadway; and
(B) is an immediate hazard;
(3) the operator is on a roadway divided into three marked lanes for traffic; or
(4) the operator is on a roadway restricted to one-way traffic.
(b) An operator of a vehicle on a roadway moving more slowly than the normal speed of other vehicles at the time and place under the existing conditions shall drive in the right-hand lane available for vehicles, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, unless the operator is:
(1) passing another vehicle; or
(2) preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
(c) An operator on a roadway having four or more lanes for moving vehicles and providing for two-way movement of vehicles may not drive left of the center line of the roadway except:
(1) as authorized by an official traffic-control device designating a specified lane to the left side of the center of the roadway for use by a vehicle not otherwise permitted to use the lane;
(2) under the conditions described by Subsection (a)(2); or
(3) in crossing the center line to make a left turn into or out of an alley, private road, or driveway.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Yes.

You may certain that, had the legislature wanted to have the law mean, "...more lowly than the posted speed limit," they most certainly would have written exactly that.

This statute was explicitly written so that the speed limit is NOT a part of the decision matrix, so that drivers could not lawfully obstruct the safe and orderly flow of traffic.

Two separate laws, for a very good reason. It's about reducing conflict between vehicles.

Looking forward to seeing the code section that allows "normal speed" to be higher than the posted speed limit. Remember that my contention is and has been that if I am traveling AT the posted speed limit I cannot be impeding traffic moving at the "normal speed" and am therefore not required to yield.

I just flew over Plano and it was damned bumpy.
I think because the houses are so tall.

I spoke to the hiring guy at Denton with U.S. Aviation. He said he just filled his two open spots but the other FBO "business air" is looking to hire someone I will dig around and find out who to get your information to. He also said Alliance is looking for people as well and said they are a great place to work if you can get in.

I spoke to the hiring guy at Denton with U.S. Aviation. He said he just filled his two open spots but the other FBO "business air" is looking to hire someone I will dig around and find out who to get your information to. He also said Alliance is looking for people as well and said they are a great place to work if you can get in.

Thanks, super appreciate that! I'm still applying my face off for other jobs on the side that I qualify for in aviation but have also applied to the Lowes nearby as well as a stand-in. Called regarding the Spinks job today and they said that the airport hasn't requested the resumes yet, not sure what that means but I'm at least hopeful.

I stick to speed limits and the right lane when I can because I can't afford tickets (especially now) and cops aren't as lenient as those long ago!

In Texas, if your not going 20 over the speed limit your getting left in the dust! Im originally from Mesquite and everytime I go back home and hit 635 Im amazed at how fast we are going. The speed limit is 65 but I swear you best be going 80 or your causing a traffic jam...no lie...Step on that pedal man its TEXAS home of the 80 mph speed limit!

All you have to do is make sure you are not the fastest person on the road and I assure you, you most definitely will not be the fastest. We drove back from Galveston to MS this past weekend. On I-10 out of Houston I was going 85 and still being passed like I was sitting still. I thought I was in cannonball run!

Looking forward to seeing the code section that allows "normal speed" to be higher than the posted speed limit. Remember that my contention is and has been that if I am traveling AT the posted speed limit I cannot be impeding traffic moving at the "normal speed" and am therefore not required to yield.

Your interpretation is wrong, as you are placing conditions in the law which are not there (not a terribly uncommon thing for laypersons reading statutes to do).

But try this on for size, if you want to understand why the statute is purposely written without reference to the posted speed limit:

A driver is cruising along, serenely confident he's in the right while in the left (lane), because (as he smugly notes), he is driving at the posted speed limit. From behind, comes another driver, whose passage is rendered impossible or unsafe, because the guy in the left lane is going at a speed which is less than the speed limit - driver two knows this, because he looks at his speedometer and sees that it is indicating a lower speed.

Whose speedometer is correct? It doesn't matter, because they each believes (in complete good faith) that he is correct. Meanwhile, traffic begins to back up, unsafe lane changes and passing on the right occur and (as can and will happen when disorderly traffic ensues) perhaps an accident occurs further back, innocent victims of the guy who thinks it's ok to block the passing lane.

Be real - it is virtually impossible to comply with all laws in any pursuit, whether driving, flying, hunting, whatever. If you've ever been involved in legislative drafting - writing laws (hint: I have) - you'd know that there is a great deal of effort in creating statutory constructs that work, without creating other unintended consequences. You cannot simply "imply in" an additional element (like claiming "normal speed" precludes anything which exceeds the speed limit) because you feel like being Vigilante Cop.

Drivers who refuse to yield right of way to faster traffic, regardless of the speed at which they are traveling, are violating the law, and it is thus in most states (and most certainly so in Texas) - and of greatest concern, they are impeding traffic and creating a hazard - and who wants to do that? It's confounding, really, that there are so many people who think this way, and there has been a great deal of effort placed on trying to dispel this mistaken and misguided belief. In Texas, the state's Department of Transportation is now required to place signs reading "Left lane for passing only" on divided highways, in order to clarify the drivers' obligations in this matter.

Here's a nice survey of the laws of the various states on point - there a few (Alaska, Maryland, Ohio and Puerto Rico) which actually do specify "slower than the speed limit," but most follow the Uniform Vehicle Code construct, which explicitly omits reference to speed limit. http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

Clinging to the left lane when others want to pass creates greater danger on the road - this is why the laws like the cited one exist - and one can always conjure up a justification for their choice to do so. It will, however, still be a conjured justification, and will not serve as a defense to prosecution. Most importantly, this behavior makes that person a part of the problem by creating greater danger and reducing the effective capacity of the road.

I'd add that there is a pretty good body of research on the psychological aspects of drivers who believe that they are justified in "enforcing" and "punishing" other drivers whose behavior is found unsuitable to their ideas of what is right. It is dangerous behavior. I was originally introduced to this body of research when I was attending a Defensive Driving class to get a traffic citation dismissed, and it was the best such class I ever "had" to take, because it makes a great deal of sense. If you realize you're making decisions based upon a punishment principle, it can go a long way towards improving your own driving habits and the safety thereof.

Your interpretation is wrong, as you are placing conditions in the law which are not there (not a terribly uncommon thing for laypersons reading statutes to do).

But try this on for size, if you want to understand why the statute is purposely written without reference to the posted speed limit:

A driver is cruising along, serenely confident he's in the right while in the left (lane), because (as he smugly notes), he is driving at the posted speed limit. From behind, comes another driver, whose passage is rendered impossible or unsafe, because the guy in the left lane is going at a speed which is less than the speed limit - driver two knows this, because he looks at his speedometer and sees that it is indicating a lower speed.

Whose speedometer is correct? It doesn't matter, because they each believes (in complete good faith) that he is correct. Meanwhile, traffic begins to back up, unsafe lane changes and passing on the right occur and (as can and will happen when disorderly traffic ensues) perhaps an accident occurs further back, innocent victims of the guy who thinks it's ok to block the passing lane.

Be real - it is virtually impossible to comply with all laws in any pursuit, whether driving, flying, hunting, whatever. If you've ever been involved in legislative drafting - writing laws (hint: I have) - you'd know that there is a great deal of effort in creating statutory constructs that work, without creating other unintended consequences. You cannot simply "imply in" an additional element (like claiming "normal speed" precludes anything which exceeds the speed limit) because you feel like being Vigilante Cop.

Drivers who refuse to yield right of way to faster traffic, regardless of the speed at which they are traveling, are violating the law, and it is thus in most states (and most certainly so in Texas) - and of greatest concern, they are impeding traffic and creating a hazard - and who wants to do that? It's confounding, really, that there are so many people who think this way, and there has been a great deal of effort placed on trying to dispel this mistaken and misguided belief. In Texas, the state's Department of Transportation is now required to place signs reading "Left lane for passing only" on divided highways, in order to clarify the drivers' obligations in this matter.

Here's a nice survey of the laws of the various states on point - there a few (Alaska, Maryland, Ohio and Puerto Rico) which actually do specify "slower than the speed limit," but most follow the Uniform Vehicle Code construct, which explicitly omits reference to speed limit. http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

Clinging to the left lane when others want to pass creates greater danger on the road - this is why the laws like the cited one exist - and one can always conjure up a justification for their choice to do so. It will, however, still be a conjured justification, and will not serve as a defense to prosecution. Most importantly, this behavior makes that person a part of the problem by creating greater danger and reducing the effective capacity of the road.

Well said.

Pleasepleaseplease don't block the left lane, no matter how fast, or right you think you are!

Back