Movin' to Texas

overdrive148

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
overdrive148
So as it turns out, Denver has turned up pretty much dry for me employment wise. The fiance has had surgery again and I'm ready to get back living with her again (still in Oklahoma). We decided that we can try Texas since it's a much lower cost of living than Denver and if I'm working at Home Depot or something anyway in the meantime I might as well be with her and somewhere we can afford. No outstanding job offers or anything just yet which makes it a bit harder but I think we can handle it.

We're looking at the Arlington TX (Fort Worth) area and being down there as early as Monday. Any of you local guys have any employment leads/advice about the Arlington area?

First thing that popped up this morning on Indeed is this job so I'm really hopeful. Sorry Denverites, it's not you, it's apparently me!

Can't see the job without enabling cookies, so you'll need to tell us about it.

If you are not feeling too picky (which is to say, if your interest is in getting to work right away), you can hardly swing a dead cat without hitting a job looking for a body.

If you are interested, p.m. me with your email address, I'll respond, and you can send me a resume; you never know, I might know someone who needs you.

Best of luck in all of this; Texas is a good place right now.

The job:
"Looking for a career in Aviation? The City of Fort Worth has an exciting opportunity for qualified candidates to fulfill a full-time Airport Operations Officer position at Spinks Airport. Strong preference will be given to applicants with aviation experience with skills and abilities in emergency response, time management, problem resolution, and customer service; to name a few."

https://careers.fortworthtexas.gov/...&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1&HRS_SUBSOURCE_ID=1106&

PM Sent, really appreciate the help!

I know a guy in McKinney, works for HP. Don't know if he could help or not, but I can send him a resume if you want. Send me a PM if you want to do that.

I know a guy in McKinney, works for HP. Don't know if he could help or not, but I can send him a resume if you want. Send me a PM if you want to do that.

I'd sooner live in McKinney than Arlington, personally, but it's likely quite a bit more expensive. Hell, they're building a $63M high school football stadium in McKinney! If I were going south/west in the D/FW area, I'd probably look at something closer to Fort Worth or maybe even north of Arlington around the Grapevine/Flower Mound areas. Again, just my opinion.

I'd sooner live in McKinney than Arlington, personally, but it's likely quite a bit more expensive. Hell, they're building a $63M high school football stadium in McKinney! If I were going south/west in the D/FW area, I'd probably look at something closer to Fort Worth or maybe even north of Arlington around the Grapevine/Flower Mound areas. Again, just my opinion.
I just sent him a message, he said if you want to work, you will have NO problem getting a job around Arlington. Looking at the map, it would be a brutal commute I think.

Problem is getting anywhere expensive without any employment (fiance is recovering from surgery, I won't have a job coming into Texas) is hard to sell to apartments. The one we are looking at wants 2.5x income for 6 months proof in a bank account before allowing us to go in and we barely have that together. This is likely temporary before we get settled with decent jobs. I am hoping Arlington isn't too bad crime wise. This place is around 745 a month for a 1 bedroom.

I just sent him a message, he said if you want to work, you will have NO problem getting a job around Arlington. Looking at the map, it would be a brutal commute I think.
Yeah that's pretty far! The Spinks airport job would only be 20-30 away which would be probably the ideal job but I've been applying for ideal jobs for 3 months now and one hand is more full than the other...

Sorry things didn't work out for you in Colorado. Good luck in Texas!

I've never really thought about putting Texas on my radar as an alternative to Cali, but I can't say I disliked it while I was stationed there. I used to spend a lot of time in Austin. I liked that town, very much like Sacramento in this state. I also used to go down to Corpus Christi quite a bit.

And plus if the sale of myself goes through and 6PC ends up purchasing me, I suppose there would be a mandatory relocation.

And plus if the sale of myself goes through and 6PC ends up purchasing me, I suppose there would be a mandatory relocation.
Will there be an auction or is this a closed deal?

Will there be an auction or is this a closed deal?

Oh, man, auction, wow. That would be bringing it down low. I guess it would just depend on who wants to buy me. For now I'm holding out for top price.

Texas is okay.
You want to live in Denton though.

At some point you will end up at a gig at KDTO and housing is inexpensive.

I like 2 cold bottles of water on the pilot side wing, the red carpets must be on the passenger side, I prefer for the plane to be in the spot closest to the FBO. I call ahead so there should be no excuse for stale popcorn or cookies that don't almost burn my mouth.
Freshness counts.

Plus we get all the good weather up here.

Texas is okay.
You want to live in Denton though.

At some point you will end up at a gig at KDTO and housing is inexpensive.

I like 2 cold bottles of water on the pilot side wing, the red carpets must be on the passenger side, I prefer for the plane to be in the spot closest to the FBO. I call ahead so there should be no excuse for stale popcorn or cookies that don't almost burn my mouth.
Freshness counts.

Plus we get all the good weather up here.

I actually have a record of doing all of those things more than once... except the red carpet. Because we didn't have a red carpet.

Chose Arlington first because it gets me in the middle of most of everything and from there I can work/earn enough to relocate, preferably out of apartments entirely. Use your muscle to get me in at your favorite FBO there and I will promise you cold water and hot cookies/popcorn to your standards within ~5 degrees!*

*for human temperature ranges only, consult your doctor if a rash develops, batteries not included.

I have a buddy over at U.S. Aviation. And by buddy, I mean the guy that backed a tug into the Cirrus.
I will give him a holler and see if they have positions open.

That brings up another point. At U.S. Aviation, you can just go full out bumper car with the tugs.

Commuting anywhere in the Dallas metroplex is brutal, to me. Even if you live in Arlington and commute 10 miles, the traffic makes you want to tear your hair out half of the time. Seems the highway I want to use is always under construction!

That brings up another point. At U.S. Aviation, you can just go full out bumper car with the tugs.

I would appreciate that as well even though it's an hour away according to google.

Do they have actual tugs or? I have really only ever towed small aircraft with a golf cart. And larger aircraft (B-25, bizjets) with an old Army jeep. Neither really go fast enough to satisfy my thirst for destruction.

I would appreciate that as well even though it's an hour away according to google.

Do they have actual tugs or? I have really only ever towed small aircraft with a golf cart. And larger aircraft (B-25, bizjets) with an old Army jeep. Neither really go fast enough to satisfy my thirst for destruction.

They use this type:
1784433523_5a9889723f_z.jpg

From what I've read and seen you don't move into Texas, Texas moves into you.

I'm hiring... but not in the aviation department.

I'll PM my contact info.

And send us DFW types the various time of you being here... Perhaps we could come find you at the local watering hole and meet you in person.

I'm hiring... but not in the aviation department.

I'll PM my contact info.

And send us DFW types the various time of you being here... Perhaps we could come find you at the local watering hole and meet you in person.

Thanks! About an hour away from where we'll be landing first. At least according to google...so not too bad?

I'll be in town probably Monday if things go well, and then back up to OK/down again Tuesday to move the rest of the stuff. If everything goes according to plan at least.

I've never really thought about putting Texas on my radar as an alternative to Cali, but I can't say I disliked it while I was stationed there. I used to spend a lot of time in Austin. I liked that town, very much like Sacramento in this state. I also used to go down to Corpus Christi quite a bit.

I've spent more time than I'd like in Waco. I can tolerate it. Good guys to work with there. Austin is much more interesting (unless you put that in quotes). Dallas/Fort Worth drove me nuts, 'cause every time I went there, something broke. Houston was an interesting city (though I guess I was closer to Clear Lake for the short time I was there), but the climate was truly unpleasant.

Welcome to Texas, It's awesome!
...said no one, ever.
There, I just did, too.

I'm in Grand Prairie right next to Arlington - BTW, housing rates are going up, up, up right now and my apartments just went up over $250/mo on rent if I decide to sign a new yearly contract - they aren't the only one's either judging from the response on my Facebook post.

Ryan, if you don't need to be in GP, check out Denton and surrounding communities. Because they need to attract college kids, the rents aren't in the insanity levels. And there are many nice rental homes.

Back