Movies where the remake was better than the original

um… I believe that her character was supposed to be annoying

What’s Eating Gilbert Grape was that way. Brilliant movie. But the character played by Leonardo DeCaprio was horribly annoying, I couldn’t stand him. But that was the point of the movie, he was such a burden on Gilbert. DeCaprio’s performance was amazing.

The Italian Job…..no, no, no, no, NO!

“The Bounty” with Mel Gibson was way better than “Mutiny on the Bounty” with Clark Gable.

plus it showed hooters.

Star Wars was a pretty good remake of The Hidden Fortress

Actually, no it isn't. Lucas got some of Star Wars from it, like the two guys who became the two robots. But the plots couldn't be more different.

Star Trek II was a much better remake of Star Trek, The Motion Picture

Actually, no it isn't. Lucas got some of Star Wars from it, like the two guys who became the two robots. But the plots couldn't be more different.
Well, the two plots also involved transporting a princess.

But yeah, the last part of Star Wars was a remake of The Dam Busters.

I think the 1954 remake of "A Star is Born" (starring Judy Garland) is much better known than the 1937 original.

Maybe sacrilege, but I liked the remake of the The Magnificent Seven (2016) more than the original, even though I like me some Yul Brynner.

The Three Amigos (Steve Martin, Martin Short, Chevy Chase) is good entertainment, but I won't call it a remake of The Magnificent Seven--more of a comedic re-imagination of the original.

The Three Amigos (Steve Martin, Martin Short, Chevy Chase) is good entertainment, but I won't call it a remake of The Magnificent Seven--more of a comedic re-imagination of the original.
Yeah, definitely a spoof of a lot of western gunslinger films.

Dusty: We plundered
El Guapo: and uh . . .
Dusty: Pruned
El Guapo: pruned, the uh
Dusty: the hedges
Dusty: . . . of many small villages!!
El Guapo: of many small villages . . . Who the hell are you?!

Fun fact: Me and two of my college roommates went as the Three Amigos to a Halloween costume party, lol.

The Mummy, the version with Brendan Fraser, was far better than the original in almost every respect. Its sequels were somewhat less so.

Star Trek II was a much better remake of Star Trek, The Motion Picture
The Chris Pine reboot was better than Star Trek The Motion Picture.
...wait, does that count?

I don't know if reboots count as remakes.

Sequels definitely don't.

Two for you:

Airplane!
was way better than
Zero Hour!

And, while not a movie.
Strange Brew
was way better than
Hamlet

SPARTACUS! The first remake...snails and oysters!

Apparently there is going to be a remake of "Dune"

It has to be better than the original.

I thought the Dune remake that SciFi did was a lot better than the movie theater version

I thought the Dune remake that SciFi did was a lot better than the movie theater version

It would be difficult for anything to be worse. No, that's too kind. It would be impossible for anything to be worse.

Back