Airplanes....

Daughter....

Airplanes....

She'll forgive you some day :yes:

...Just kidding.

There will always be a next time.

Last edited:
bbchien said:
Sigh. Can't come. My Daughter's going to be post op day #1 from a torn Anterior Cruciate Ligament repair....

Ugh is this the ballerina Bruce? Result of the recent car accident? Heres to a speedy recovery.

Here's the deal on the Holloween party at my place. Everyone is invited! It would be great to not be the only pilot in the room besides Tony.

Costumes are essentially madatory. If you can't get that together come as a pilot (works for me usually). Without a proper costume you will stand out and feel weird.

But seriously, it is a really fun, all ages, primarily sober but not alcohol prohibited well attended get-together at a small country cottage. My wife and I have a lot of friends and most of them are dang interesting and very nice people too. It's a diverse group in terms of economic class, age, and politics. We usually have a large bonfire outside if the weather is reasonable and tons of gourmet food inside (pot luck).

We are located about 6 south-east of the airport on a county road and it takes about 10 minutes to drive from the airport (4 east on 30, 4 south on county R-70). The house will probably be full for overnighters but you can camp anywhere in the yard and use the facilities. We've got a couple tents but you'd need sleeping bags appropriate to the WX.

Party starts at 7:30, the food selection peaks around 8:30, late arrivials continue till 11:30, and it starts winding down after midnight. If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask here, email me, or call me at 5154511068.

If you feel you've reached this recording in error, please hang up and dial your operator.

Matt Michael

Guys, I would love to come, but KAMW is 4 hrs away, and I just can't afford 8 hrs rental at the moment. Maybe next time!

Well, it's three hours (no wind) to Ames. Then an hour to Esterville, then an hour back to Ames, then three hours back home. And it's not like there's cheap fuel in Iowa.

N2212R said:
Well, it's three hours (no wind) to Ames. Then an hour to Esterville, then an hour back to Ames, then three hours back home. And it's not like there's cheap fuel in Iowa.
Come to Ames... You can fly with me to Estherville.. That'll save you some fuel.

Last edited:
Well I'd love to hitch a ride with Kent, but I have too much stuff going on that weekend. Badger game, and housewarming party at a friends place Saturday, and Packer game Sunday.

Pete

vontresc said:
Well I'd love to hitch a ride with Kent, but I have too much stuff going on that weekend. Badger game, and housewarming party at a friends place Saturday, and Packer game Sunday.

Pete

Yeah, but those aren't real football teams. Might as well go to Iowa.

I dunno Ed, Iowa football, especially Iowa State, hasnt been anything to gloat about this year...

but I agree, Pete should come with Kent!

Talking about Iowa football....how 'bout them Hoosiers......

Pete

Any room for a buckeye pilot?

It's 519nm, closer than Gastons or SERFI.

Looking forward to a really good lunch.

Gary Gembala

I can take someone from Chicago if I don't do my usual and talk myself out of going. Having a passenger makes doing that harder. Be warned that it takes me forever to launch so I'll never be the first one there.

AdamZ said:
Ugh is this the ballerina Bruce? Result of the recent car accident? Heres to a speedy recovery.
No, this is the No 2, the tumbler cheerleader diver. She dismounted from the top of the pyramid, in a layout (reverse back flip with no pike position) and came out a few degrees rotationally short. Boom! No Anterior Cruciate Ligament anymore.

I have a motorvehicularly challenged set of lady daughters. I failed to give them the skills....older one now lives on the upper west side of NYC where an auto is NOT a possibility.....

There are now NO OEM body panels on the 1997 Camry.

Sigh.

N2212R said:
Yeah, but those aren't real football teams. Might as well go to Iowa.

Wow. Those Detroit Lions fans get one win, and think they've conquered the world! :D

OH Flier said:
Any room for a buckeye pilot?

It's 519nm, closer than Gastons or SERFI.

C'mon out Gary, I look forward to meeting you! I really enjoyed your SERFI writeup... That's an awful lot of flying for one day!

Tomahawk674 said:
Anyone going that could give me a lift, from St. Joseph MO? (KSTJ)

I would help cover rental/avgas

I will if I can make it.

Jon

flyingcheesehead said:
Wow. Those Detroit Lions fans get one win, and think they've conquered the world! :D

Never been a Lions fan. Was a Broncos fan in the early/mid 80s when Elway was throwing rockets, and have been a New Orleans fan since 1987, after reading an article about them in an 86(?) Sports Illustrated.

But how about the Maize and Blue?

bbchien said:
No, this is the No 2, the tumbler cheerleader diver. She dismounted from the top of the pyramid, in a layout (reverse back flip with no pike position) and came out a few degrees rotationally short. Boom! No Anterior Cruciate Ligament anymore.

Sigh.

Bruce, I am sorry to hear about your daughter. When I was wrestling, I saw a lot of ACL and MCL tears, and not a single one looked like it was fun. And the aftermath didn't either.

Is it a complete tear? Will she be able to get back to either cheerleading? Ugh, the sight of ACL tear on the face is really bringing back some ugly memories. I'm so sorry.

bbchien said:
Sigh.

Shoulda got a Saturn with those indestructable body panels.B)

SkyHog said:
Bruce, I am sorry to hear about your daughter. When I was wrestling, I saw a lot of ACL and MCL tears, and not a single one looked like it was fun. And the aftermath didn't either.

Is it a complete tear? Will she be able to get back to either cheerleading? Ugh, the sight of ACL tear on the face is really bringing back some ugly memories. I'm so sorry.
Yeah, I see a lot in the waterskiing world, especially the serious jumpers and the trick skiers (tie the rope to your foot and spin around while jumping the wake and or rope). From what I've seen, a good surgeon can usually restore full function, but there are failures as well. After the surgery, I would assume that PT is important to strengthen the joint and restore full range. From what I've seen though, the biggest problem is it seems the folks who tear the ACL in the first place are prime candidates to do it again because they continue to do the same risky stuff.

And Bruce, I echo Nick's sentiments, hope it comes out as good as possible.

bbchien said:

Sigh.

Do what my parents did. Make her drive the car around - wrecked - as a badge of honor. Sheet metal from the HVAC supply house should do the trick.

N2212R said:
Do what my parents did. Make her drive the car around - wrecked - as a badge of honor. Sheet metal from the HVAC supply house should do the trick.

My brother and I were sharing a car in highschool, a giant old '73 Chrysler Newport my Dad gave us. Mid-week, my brother rear ended a pickup and smashed in the front clip. Says Dad, "Damn, that's a shame, boys, what are you going to do about it?"

I needed the car for going back and forth to college, so that Friday afternoon, I stripped car parts until I got down to unbent metal. Saturday, I laid on the frigid Pittsburgh February ground, snow flurries in the air, and pulled a non rusted bright yellow front clip off of a junk yard car.

Sunday, my brother and I froze our cheeks off putting that bright yellow clip on our red car.

I drove Rudolph, the yellow nosed Chrysler to school Monday morning. We drove that car like that another 5 years until the front subframe rusted in half :-(

I told my dad that I would likely be bringing a couple plane loads of pilot friends up for pizza on the 28th. he said come on up. apparently it is karaoke (sp?) night at the bar so he welcomed us all to stick around and sing a few! (Kent? :)) I told him that as far as I was concerned, i would be there early and back to ames for matts party! :)

Mike Andrews -- when you try to talk yourself out of going...just don't listen!:)
ApacheBob

ApacheBob said:
Mike Andrews -- when you try to talk yourself out of going...just don't listen!:)
ApacheBob

I agree! :) at least in this case. Like i said, if it makes a difference, I will fly you home if you need an IR. Then ill figure out how to get back to Iowa.

awesome scott, hope you can make it! the 10 day forecast now includes the 28th as the 10th day, supposed to be 49 F and partly cloudy. lets hope it holds.

tonycondon said:
supposed to be 49 F and partly cloudy. lets hope it holds.

Just changed to showers. But..the weather forecast out nine days isn't exactly...solid.

jangell said:
Just changed to showers. But..the weather forecast out nine days isn't exactly...solid.

It should change at least three more times before the day arrives...

And Tony, someone who has passed a CFII checkride should know enough about the weather to know that a 10-day forecast is something like air above, runway behind, and fuel in the truck. ;)

heh im not going anywhere until i can get current PIREPs and Pastcasts! :)

Hmmm... I would have really liked to make it to this as my first fly-in.....though prior engagements make that impossible.

I hope all have a blast!

Patrick

mrf_sfc_f204.gif

mrf_sfc_f216.gif

Maybe it will move more east than north...

lancefisher said:
Shoulda got a Saturn with those indestructable body panels.B)
I was thinking 1992 F150, but what I need are mass and lotsa airbags....that translates into......my FORD 500! How come I never get to drive a new car....!
skyhog said:
It's completely, totally totally gone. Sigh.

It's five days zorked out on the pain meds, in bed, then up on crutches with the brace and the endless physical therapy.....I'm hoping to bypass the drugs with a five day unilateral home epidural, so she doesn't fall further behind in Calculus....sigh.

If it were legal, I would say "$5 says it will be better than 3,000 and 10 miles vis. at 0900 at Ames."
No, you can't wait until 0800 on the day of to take this. No, I can't really make the bet because it would probably get me arrested.:lightning:
ApacheBob

OK people this is what i have for a list so far, let me know if ive got something wrong.

YES:
Me
Kent
Jesse
Grant
FlyNE (Jason)
James Dean
Barry Stratt
Gary Gembala
Mike Andrews

MAYBE:
bkreager
ApacheBob
Scott Migaldi
Dogman
Tomahawk674
Lance Fisher?
Rudy?
Ed Fred?

fingers are crossed for good weather.
question is: if it is IFRable, how many people will still come? Otherwise do we want to forget about it all together or have a rain date on november 11?

Anyone else going to make it? going to be a good party!

I (and Rachel for part of the time at least) will be there if my work schedule allows. Looks like rain at least during the week. If that works out, it should be too wet to spread fertilizer which means another Saturday off from work. yeehaw!

-Chris

Back