Midwest Fly-In: KAMW

FlyNE said:
Along the route of flight from the east perhaps
07005a17.gif

smigaldi said:
Chicago area pilots going to Ames.

I was planing the flight. I can file /G but I usually throw in a fix or two to break things up. Also if I need a clearence from ATC I kinda know where they are going to want me to fly.

Anyways....

this was my plan as an FYI.

KRENA direct DBQ direct KAMW

Should we also listen in on 122.75 for air to air comms??

Scott,

Seems like to me everytime I go to or come from Chicago to Iowa they like to use the Polo(PLL) VOR to get you out of their airspace. I'd file direct PLL direct CID direct AMW.

James Dean

i was talking about thursday for the rain (ie wont be able to fly anyway so dubya wont be cutting into my earnings this month)

Lets see...surface temps in the low to mid 40s and rain over Michigan Can you say airmet for icing? I knew you could.

dont jump the gun yet ed. there may be an inversion, have hope! :)

tonycondon said:
excellent, keep it up jason

I'm doing all I can! I'm blowing like hell...trying to push it to the east!:D

time change is midnight saturday. so steve will get an extra hour of sleep before he goes home sunday morning

Wow. Looking good. This just might work out after all!

smigaldi said:
Chicago area pilots going to Ames.

I was planing the flight. I can file /G but I usually throw in a fix or two to break things up. Also if I need a clearence from ATC I kinda know where they are going to want me to fly.

Anyways....

this was my plan as an FYI.

KRENA direct DBQ direct KAMW

Should we also listen in on 122.75 for air to air comms??

Once I get west of Chicago, I usually have no problem getting direct. I was thinking PLL then direct KAMW. Of course, until I get past Rockford all bets are off as far as Chicago goes!

Weather looks better but I'm not making the go/no go decision yet.

Is 122.75 an open/available/legal freq?

Ha!

I think the odds are more in favor of me being at the www.reklawflyin.com this weekend.

More time on the ground than in the air for that one. :p

tonycondon said:
time change is midnight saturday. so steve will get an extra hour of sleep before he goes home sunday morning

bstratt said:
Is 122.75 an open/available/legal freq?
Yup...

AIM 4-1-11
Other Frequency Usage Designated by FCC
Air-to-air communications & private airports (not open to the public).

Steve said:
More time on the ground than in the air for that one. :p

I thought real pilots enjoyed flying and being in the air?

tonycondon said:

Excellent. :yes:

I think I'll split the extra hour: Half party, half sleep. :D

I'm not gonna plan on being there before noon, or I'll be way too tired to party. I usually don't get home until after midnight on Fridays. Maybe I'll get lucky this week, though. :dunno:

I'll be on 122.75. We should come up with a call sign. :goofy:

That's just it, I'm an unreal pilot with a real flying budget deficit this month! Ya gotta pace yourself, don'tcha know. :rofl:

jangell said:
I thought real pilots enjoyed flying and being in the air?

bkreager said:
Winds WNW at 19 mph gusting to 37.
Good practice. Ames has two runways. :)

That's just it, I'm an unreal pilot with a real flying budget deficit this month! Ya gotta pace yourself, don'tcha know. :rofl:

A guy from SOUTHERN Mississippi tries to make fun of how *I* speak!

Last edited:
Are we saying there's a place to stay? I'll have to pack my jammies!

as far as lodging for saturday night in ames:I have a student apartment living room with two couches. I can probably get a futon and/or air mattress from my roomates. So far Kent and Jesse have priority, and Chip if he comes. I will take in as many as can comfortably fit. I dont know how many plan to overnight. It may behoove some of you guys to go together on a motel room, im sure there are plenty available.

Wellp... The RV is officially out of the picture for the flyin this weekend. :( Took it back over to Muscatine last night so my parents can take a trip somewhere this weekend -- geez, they are SO greedy!! ;) (COMPLETEY joking, by the way) I was dang lucky to be able to keep it up here for over a month! WOW! Only bad thing is, I had it up here for so long, that I got used to it being here - now I have this weird 'airplane void'. *sigh*

ANYWHO.. Maybe I'll have to look at getting into one of Hap's 172's Saturday for the Estherville trip. :) Haven't been in anything that low-and-slow in a while. ;)

-Chris

Oh yeah... As for lodging - I would love to offer space to crash here at my house for the night (5-10 mins drive west of Ames) but I'm afraid we have no room to spare. :( It's not that our house is full of people already, we just don't have any extra room to begin with. ha!

-Chris

im sad chris, get it back soon! :)

and the latest surface forecast is calling for the precip to be even further east, mostly in ohio, by 1 pm. so hopefully our illinois and wisconsin friends, and hopefully G^2 too! can make it. Im getting excited...

If you are between Chicago and Ames, I could probably pick you up along the way. Jim will be coming with me if it is too windy to boat. I intend to leave Chicago-Aurora at 0700. N3013P will be monitoring 122.75.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

I plan on being off at around 0700 from Minneapolis, MN..On 122.75 of course.. Anyone north of Ames or even out of the way that needs a ride let me know.

As far as getting to Estherville I will be able to carry two to three people depending on their size. It might not be an exciting airplane but it is one of the best maintained 172s in existance..(Ask Tony!)

its true, you dont even have to slam the doors. they latch themselves, its amazing!

Can we get a final itinerary of what, where amd when for this fly in? What time should we be there by, Where are we meeting at, and what shold we bring?

awesome, keeps getting better and better. and the cold front keeps getting further and further away, so hopefully that will mean light(er) winds for us!

general itenerary -

i will be at the airport by 8 am. Sounds like apachebob and jesse will be there around then. Chris is bringing over a couple grills. I will have the glider set up and some tables chairs and burgers/brats, buns, and chips already bought. Come anytime you like, most people we have told after 10 am and stay until whenever. we will grill and eat and tell airplane stories and look at airplanes i have broken (just one!) for the afternoon. it should be warm, i may be able to set up some volleyball nets. we can always do a spot landing contest or something fun like that. i think several of us will be going to Estherville for pizza for supper at my dad's place. We will probably leave about 4 pm to be there around 5. After eating it will be back to Ames for matt michaels halloween party. That will go late into the evening. as ive said before, my apartment isnt very big but ill fit as many people as i can in there. it might be wise for several of the overnight guys to go in on a hotel as any more than 3 could get crowded at my place.

any other requests scott? always looking for some other stuff to do in the afternoon, let me know your ideas, cant wait to meet yoU!

ApacheBob said:
If you are between Chicago and Ames, I could probably pick you up along the way. Jim will be coming with me if it is too windy to boat. I intend to leave Chicago-Aurora at 0700. N3013P will be monitoring 122.75.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Aight everyone... Tail numbers!

N3013P - Bob
N284M - Mike
N271G - Kent

And is anyone even going to be in the air as late as I'm coming? I probably won't be wheels up until 10 AM.

4296N

It looks like I be in Ames around 12:00 - 1:00.

James Dean

I was thinking pretty much what Tony said. People will showup throughout the day. Talk airplanes. That kind of thing. I'd be all for doing something flying related in the afternoon. Spot landing, or whatever else anyone can come up with.

As far as when we would start the grill. I suppose when it seems like quite a few people are there. We can always start up again when someone else shows up and more or less just make it an afternoon of grilling / eating / flying.

At some point we will fly to Estherville as a group for supper. I beleive Tony said that they open up at 5PM. So we could aim for getting to Estherville around 5. Depending on the airplane it's probably 45 minutes to a hour flight. If anyone wants good air to air pictures of their plane this would be the chance. Finally we'll fly back to Ames, IA and go to Matt's halloween party.

You are all welcome to show up at any point and leave at any point. The more people willing to make a day of it and go to the halloween party, etc. The better.

It would be nice if everyone would post in this thread that they are launching or are for sure a go.

My cell phone number is: (507) 202 - 2795 If you have any questions about the event, where we are at, you run out of fuel and land in a field somewhere. Give me a call :)

Tail Number: N9584L

N8116B is what I am flying in. I am planning at arriving around
9:30 to 10 and I have to be home by 4pm so that means a deaprture around 1 or 2pm.

I'll either be in N6113J (Archer) or N42310 (172). If Archer, I should be arriving around noon. If 172, earlier.

I'll be on 122.75.

Last edited:
ill have my handheld on me and will be monitoring ames traffic (122.7) come up with a callsign for me, ill tell you where to park. and just so you know, the cooking/bull****ting session will be taking place at Hap's Air Service which is not the main terminal building. The main terminal faces runway 13/31 while we face the approach end of 19. Big Red letters on the hangar that say Hap's Air Service.

Last edited:
Back