Midwest Fly-In: KAMW

gibbons said:
Thanks everyone - I had a great time seeing old friends and meeting new ones. It's always fun to fly with folks who take it seriously and are good at it. James flew the A36 like he was born in it, Tony flew the Super Cub tow plane perfectly and really ****ed me off with his landing, and Matt kept me from killing us both in the glider while making sure I had a great time. Sorry I missed the pizza.

Chip

I watched James land Chip's Bonanza. He really did do a fantastic job.

Here's proof of how good he did (as if it's needed).

Kent's on long final behind them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GFRpqaUQkE

tonycondon said:
Matt is a great instructor, he taught me! And the tow wasnt that bad, i never even had to go to a full control deflection!
tonycondon said:
From what I hear, Matts method of not getting killed in the glider was to let you fly the entire flight. Great tow by the way! I was turning fairly tight with you just to see if you could hold position. you never left the spot in my mirror! Good work!

LOL

Chip gets the equivalent of "I didn't even know you were there". I get the equivalent of "at least we're all still alive".

:D:D:D

Last edited:
What a day! :goofy::rofl:

A big thanks to all for making a wonderful experience. It is a treat to be able to put a face to the words.

A special thanks to Chip for the wonderful opportunity he provided me. I thought I was being offered a ride in his 'Bo. Instead I find myself in the left seat, Chip in the right, and Lance looking over my shoulder! No pressure, right? Chip is a wonderful instructor and a true gentleman. I can take no credit for that landing - he and Lance were coaching me all the way.

Anybody want to trade their A36 straight up for my 'toga? :fcross::fcross::fcross:

Kudos to Tony and Jesse for getting things set up and providing the facility. I'd still like to know why their aren't more students like we saw training at Haps. Thanks guys.

A great day and a great group of guys. See you all next time.

James Dean

gprellwitz said:
As I commented, we had too much testosterone and not enough estrogen there (Chris' wife notwithstanding).
It was a bit like the "he-man woman haters clubs" there.
pin.jpg

Diane should have been given a ride!!

smigaldi said:
It was a bit like the "he-man woman haters clubs" there.
pin.jpg

Diane should have been given a ride!!
No! Not me! I DEMAND TO BE ABSOLVED OF THOSE CHARGES! (Leslie's on this board too, you know!):rofl::rofl::rofl:

Diana said:
Absolutely! Plus an acro ride at Gaston's! Wow, you guys could hire yourselves out, you're so good!
Oh, I am so holding you to that! But don't worry, I haven't forgotten that I owe you a ride in the 182 (or whatever we bring next year). You know, if we bring a G1000 DA-40, we might need to park at Mountain Home. Would you be interested in ferrying over there for a ride?

gprellwitz said:
You know, if we bring a G1000 DA-40, we might need to park at Mountain Home. Would you be interested in ferrying over there for a ride?
Sure! Or maybe Chip would give us a ride! :D

I'm home and have a ton of content (video and pictures) that I am sorting through. I'm working on editing it all as I write this.

This was a great success. For those of you that came I hope you had a good time. Iowa might not be the most amazing place but we did make the best of it!

It was great meeting all of you! Sorry I had to depart earlier than I hoped, but it was fun. Thanks to Tony and all for setting us up and feeding me. I flew 7.4 this weekend Ottumwa>Ames>Albert Lea>Cedar Rapids>Albert Lea>Ottumwa. I had around 150 kts going from ALbert Lea to Cedar at 7,500 Saturday afternoon:yes:. We'll have to do this again and next time I'll be there for the pizza!

Yea chip why didnt you bring diana!? :)

James, that was a heck of a nice landing in the Bo. Forget a Seneca, get a Beech.

Hey now Jason, you really did a good job. You cant compare yourself to chip, hes like a nationally competing aerobatic pilot with lots of formation practice. formation skills it what it takes to fly the tow the way he did. you were still doing really good. most first timers about try to pull the towplane out of the sky, ya done good. when you coming back over for the add on?

Was great to meet you too Ben.

Kent finally left. Him and jesse did some flying together this afternoon while I helped Matt work on the Flybaby. we got the thing looking like an airplane again with a cowling and wings and everything. we pulled it out and started it up. Runs nice.

Kent needed an IPC to maintain instrument currency and I was the only CFII around so off we went. Des Moines approach controller asks "Is this Dan?" "negative" a few seconds later... "Is this Kent?" "uhh affirmative" "Oh yea I recognize your voice from the Pilotcast" It was then that I realize I am giving dual to a celebrity. It was pretty cool. Long story short Kent passed, as I knew he would. He finally got on his way about 10 pm but has nice tailwinds so should be home fast.

Great weekend everybody. keep posting the videos and pictures. I didnt get a chance to get anything on my camera so I want yours!

tonycondon said:
Kent needed an IPC to maintain instrument currency and I was the only CFII around so off we went. Des Moines approach controller asks "Is this Dan?" "negative" a few seconds later... "Is this Kent?" "uhh affirmative" "Oh yea I recognize your voice from the Pilotcast" It was then that I realize I am giving dual to a celebrity. It was pretty cool. Long story short Kent passed, as I knew he would. He finally got on his way about 10 pm but has nice tailwinds so should be home fast.

Great weekend everybody. keep posting the videos and pictures. I didnt get a chance to get anything on my camera so I want yours!
Tony, thanks again for hosting this. It was great. I know that movie stars use disguises when they want anonymity. I guess Kent is going to have to start carrying around a tank of helium to disguise his voice!

gprellwitz said:
Tony, thanks again for hosting this. It was great. I know that movie stars use disguises when they want anonymity. I guess Kent is going to have to start carrying around a tank of helium to disguise his voice!

:rofl:

It was great meeting everyone who made it to Ames! Tony deserves a round of applause for pulling this together. It's always easier to stay home and do your own thing. The power of a community is multiplied manyfold by face-to-face relationships. A gathering like this will have effects on our lives for years to come. Thanks Tony for enhancing my life by introducing me to these great people.

Ben from Ottumwa insisted I set left seat for the his short trip to Ankeny and back in the 172. Dispite the fact that he just met me and the aircraft has a freeking engine he allowed me to land it! Can you imagine! That is one cool cat.

Glider flying with people who take flying seriously and are motivated to do it well is a real pleasure. I really appreciate the favorable comments on the experience. It means a lot coming from pilots like you.

We should have invited the noteworthy female student pilot encountered at Haps to join POA! What a bunch of Neandethal retards. I guess Tony or I will have to find time to do it now.

Can't wait till next time. Maybe I'll be flying my Fly Baby in and we'll see an end to all the bitching an moaning about headwinds. I could be the first to fly backwards all the way to Gastons.

Matt Michael

It's really great to be able to take people's online identity and finally be able to match it to a real person. It's pretty amazing how all of us are able to connect so strongly by one common interest. It doesn't matter who you are, what you beleive, or where your from. We all have such a deep love of flying that it overpowers everything else.

I was able to capture quite a few pictures and a lot of video which I edited into one large movie (12 minutes long). It is 100 megabyte but is worth the download.

http://www.jesseangell.com/downloads/midwestflyin.wmv

I'll put all of the pictures up tonight

Wow, great work, Jesse! You got me all fired up again. Can we do this again next month?

jangell said:
I'll put all of the pictures up tonight

Cool video, Jesse! :yes: Definitely worth the download, though I'm glad I'm sitting on a 4Mb connection at the moment...

yep thats an awesome video. those shots you got of kent in the 182 are fantastic!

tonycondon said:
yep thats an awesome video. those shots you got of kent in the 182 are fantastic!

But you're probably gonna catch some flack WRT the impromptu formation flying, especially the part where Kent went under you.

lancefisher said:
But you're probably gonna catch some flack WRT the impromptu formation flying, especially the part where Kent went under you.
If someone wants to make something out of nothing they can just have a blast. I wasn't going to not share a cool video with friends in fear of one or two people telling me how dangerous and stupid I am.

I wouldn't exactly call it impromptu. I would call it safe and legal. It was discussed and planned prior to the flight and this is not the first time I've done formation with other pilots or even Kent for that matter.

As far as him going under me. He was under and behind me. You can see the upper portion of his wind screen and where your head in a Cessna would be just fine on either side of him coming to the other side. He would of had a visual the entire time. I had a visual for all but two seconds. I guess I'd call it trust.

The kind of trust that I have in someone that I know very well. This is the same type of trust that we all put into complete random drivers on the road every day. The same kind of trust I put in other pilots when I climb in their airplane. When you drive your life is in other people's hand. Tell me which trust is more foolish. I'd say the driving one.

Last edited:
jangell said:
I was able to capture quite a few pictures and a lot of video which I edited into one large movie (12 minutes long).
Nice Video Jesse! Thanks for posting it. Making those takes a bit of time and work. What movie program do you use?

I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures.

BTW, what was Lance riding? I liked that part. :)

Lance had this little electric scooter thing. he was driving it all over the airport. it had a little trouble going uphill through the grass so he had to walk it along. it was quite entertaining when he tried to run jesse over.

tonycondon said:
it was quite entertaining when he tried to run jesse over.
Aw man, too bad that isn't on the video! :D Wonder what music he would have picked for that part?

haha, well he faded out right as the near miss was occuring

After watching the videolog all I can say is

Wwaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh! :(

I plan on making the next one.

Nice video Jesse. You even used Eagles Fly! :yes:

Diana said:
Aw man, too bad that isn't on the video! :D Wonder what music he would have picked for that part?

If you watch carefully, Jesse is zooming out as I come closer. He quit filming (or is that flashcarding?) when I was about 3 ft from the camera. But with a closure rate of about 5 mph the collision was easily avoided.

Re: The information on the most known brands of pharmacology

Neat video. I liked the landings and the night approaches. One of the best things in this world to a pilot after an XC is being able to see those christmas lights and respond with "airport in sight."

Back