Midwest Fly-In: KAMW

heh, i could handle Boss :) but landout is more applicable.

Looking good!

0700d485.gif

As below - N3904X

I'll be bringing Grant (providing he can find his way to the airport that early in the morning!:D ). Hoping to be there between 10:00am and 10:30am. I have to be back by 3:00pm - 3:30 so I'll probably be leaving around 1:00pm as well.

Tony's call sign is already "Boy Wonder" or I suppose it could be 373-yankee his gliders N number. Those are what I use when I'm chasing him to a landout. I don't think he really likes Boy Wonder so I guess I'm voting for "373yankee", that's Glider three-seven-three yankee. Other contenders include, "Prop-Bender", "Chin scraper", and due to his affinity for humor, "Gut Buster".

Volley Ball? What the bleep! We're a bunch of pilots and the weather is going to be fine. We've got a couple of 2 seat gliders probably sitting around all day and tow pilots should be no problem. I say we do some quiet and civilized No-engine flying! Hey, maybe Tony will do a landout for us!

MM

ok you're on matt. ill see if i can find a towpilot for at least one flight, ill land at your house for the party. perhaps i can tow and you give some rides if someone is interested?

flyingcheesehead said:
Aw boo... I was hoping for a ride. :( ;)

I know.. I was looking forward to providing rides! I love giving people the "RV grin". :) There's always Gaston's next year. ;)

-Chris

I'm all for the glider thing.

wby0nder said:
We're a bunch of pilots and the weather is going to be fine. We've got a couple of 2 seat gliders probably sitting around all day and tow pilots should be no problem.

Ooh! Count me in! :yes: :goofy:

Ok, we'll see about the glider thing. We still dont have a towpilot lined up yet. Ill see what I can do tonight. I dont want to end up spending all day giving rides though. As much as i'd love to get each one of you up in a glider id also like to be able to sit and eat and talk with all of you too. I probably wouldnt do any rides at all until after 1 pm, so we can have a good lunch and BS session. then when i do it will be first come first serve, first based on first replies to this thread. Jesse doesnt get a ride, he already had one. Ill be done with glider tied down and everything put away by 4 PM in order to fly to estherville for pizza. Im not trying to put a damper on the whole idea, i think it would be great. I just wont let it dominate my day. Now if matt wants to help out, then we could give twice the rides. and the soaring is looking like it could be good, which would be best, so you all can get some non powered climbing in. That is what the sport is all about. but like I said, we still dont have a towpilot so its a no go for now, but a possibility.

Tonight I run around like a chicken with my head cut off preparing for tomorrow, and I cant wait! cant wait to see you all!

I'll be wheels up for Ames at 7PM tonight. See all you guys tomorrow! Sometime tomorrow I'll climb up over Ames and try to get some of you on 122.75.

I have to upload a new database in the GPS but that should not delay me much. I planning on wheels up at 8am. Hopefully the scud that has been over northern Illinois will break in a few hours. I don't mind the scud too much but the temps are dropping a bit and that could be the freezing level too low for safe IFR.

its been clear and amillion here for quite a while scott. you should be fine for tomorrow.

tonycondon said:
its been clear and amillion here for quite a while scott. you should be fine for tomorrow.

Hope so, it was supposed to be out of here by noon and it is still ceilings of OVC800

Forecast for tomorrow am is FM1400 30021G34KT P6SM SKC which is great. Not a big crosswind eitehr as my runway is a 27/9 orientation.

smigaldi said:
I have to upload a new database in the GPS but that should not delay me much. I planning on wheels up at 8am. Hopefully the scud that has been over northern Illinois will break in a few hours. I don't mind the scud too much but the temps are dropping a bit and that could be the freezing level too low for safe IFR.

Ames shouldn't have moved since your last database update. :D

FlyNE said:
Ames shouldn't have moved since your last database update. :D

Oh that's just silly. For as long as I can remember now Ames has been located in precisely the same location at the intersection of The Middle of Nowhere and The Center of the Universe.
MM

tonycondon said:
Tonight I run around like a chicken with my head cut off preparing for tomorrow,

Actually I think it's more like an Eagle with it's head cut off.

MM

smigaldi said:
Hope so, it was supposed to be out of here by noon and it is still ceilings of OVC800

Forecast for tomorrow am is FM1400 30021G34KT P6SM SKC which is great. Not a big crosswind eitehr as my runway is a 27/9 orientation.
"..great"?

I have a 9/27, too, but that kinda thing will make for some excitement, besides which those winds will be in our face going out there.

Last edited:
flyingcheesehead said:

But the crap isn't moving out of Chicago fast enough - just heard a forecast of drizzle mixed with snow flurries "at times" continuing into the morning before clearing mid-day.

http://usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?sta=KDPA&model=avn&state=IL&Submit=Get+Forecast

20% then 13% up to noon. If its drizzle on the ground at those temps, its freezing rain higher. I'll play it by ear in the morning.

well you illinois guys will have good tailwinds home. see you tomorrow!

tonycondon said:
well you illinois guys will have good tailwinds home. see you tomorrow!

It has gotten a bit better. This mroning it was all IFR in Illinois with LIFR just south of me which would be near DPA. But as you can see it has gotten better. Lets hope it gets moving when the winds pick up.

0700d486.gif

tonycondon said:
like I said, we still dont have a towpilot so its a no go for now, but a possibility.

What would it take to teach one of us to tow? Or would that not be a possibility?

that wouldnt be a possibility unfortunately kent. gotta be a club member, SSA member, 25 hrs of tailwheel, plus super cub and tow checkout. :( We should be able to come up with somebody, ill keep calling around.

I am *planning* on being at the airport fairly early tomorrow (at least before people start showing up) to help get things set up, etc. I'll be bringing two gas grills that will need a little TLC before they are used - high heat is a way to sterilize stuff, right? ;)

We are going to Des Moines to a halloween party tonight, but I'm hoping it will be not-too-late of an evening.

See all ya'll tomorrow!

-Chris

Should be in Ames around 10-ish, departing around 1:30. N733TV. Will be on 122.75 starting around 9.

tonycondon said:
that wouldnt be a possibility unfortunately kent. gotta be a club member, SSA member, 25 hrs of tailwheel, plus super cub and tow checkout. :( We should be able to come up with somebody, ill keep calling around.

No one-day memberships like some clubs have, huh? Oh well. I don't have the TW endorsement, and I only have a few hours of Cub time, and none of that is on wheels, only skis and floats!

:fcross:

OK, let's update the list:

YES:
Tony (ground pounder)
Chris (ground pounder)
Matt (ground pounder)
Kent (N271G)
Jesse (N9584L)
Grant (with Barry)
FlyNE (Jason) (N6113J)
James Dean (N4296N)
Barry Stratt (N3904X)
Gary Gembala (N????)
Mike Andrews (N284M)
bkreager (N733TV)
ApacheBob (N3013P)
Scott Migaldi (N8116B)
Lance Fisher (N9025Q)
Greg Bockelman (N9872A)
Tomahawk (with Greg)

MAYBE:
Dogman
Ed Fred?
Chip?

Last edited:
flyingcheesehead said:
OK, let's update the list:

YES:
Tony (ground pounder)
Chris (ground pounder)
Matt (ground pounder)
Kent (N271G)
Jesse (N9584L)
Grant (with Barry)
FlyNE (Jason) (Nunknown - Reserved yet?)
James Dean (N4296N)
Barry Stratt (N3904X)
Gary Gembala (N????)
Mike Andrews (N284M)
bkreager (N733TV)
ApacheBob (N3013P)
Scott Migaldi (N8116B)
Lance Fisher (N9025Q)

MAYBE:
Dogman
Tomahawk674
Rudy?
Ed Fred?
Steve?
Chip?

Barring any unforseen problems, I will be there with the 195. 9872A

I'll only make it as far as Olive Branch, TN. Picking up the brother for a family get together at Dad's on Sunday.

Maybe next year when the gas prices are $1.85/gallon. :)

FlyNE (Jason) - Archer N6113J - Arriving around 12 noon.

Rudy wont be able to make it, he PMd me. Jesse is here. Glider is assembled and in the hangar. We are baking cookies as we speak!

Not sure I'll be out. 40 and rain. do the math.

Jesse had the right idea. I should have gone last night. Now, I have to head in to work. I hope you guys have fun.
ApacheBob

Back